Flight questions

bowelk

I’m going on my first Africa trip this coming year and looking at booking flights. I’m looking at Delta from El Paso to Alanta then to JNB. First question, once I check in gun in El Paso does the luggage and gun transfer all the way through or do I need to recheck in Alanta for the international portion of the flight. This is really dependent on my next question of is 2 hour layover in Alanta sufficient ( assuming no flight delays).

I like nice long lay overs. Find a cold beer or two and enjoy the experience. Nobody wants to run thru an airport because the flights are late. Even tho Atlanta sucks, 2 hrs is pushing it.

Bowelk: Yes, it does transfer. And, you have picked a good flight. That layover should be fine.

When you arrive in Johannesburg, I hope that you have your Outiftter there waiting. The sooner you can leave that hell hole, the better.

If you can get a flight with at least 4 hour layover it would be better. Only takes your first flight to be late and miss the flight to start some problems. With how the airlines have been doing as of late more time is always better to be safe..

Your rifle should transfer but make sure the agent checking it in does it so it goes direct to jo berg.

I got back last week from my first Africa hunt last week. If possible extend your layover like billc stated. Johannesburg was an absolute mess. We went it alone though, so if your outfitter meets you you’re probably fine. Have fun!

Thank you all for the feedback. I booked flights and was given the choice of staying overnight in the “city hotel” they said is connected to the airport or the African Sky lodge (about 15 minutes away). I will have an agent meeting us at the gate and walking us through customs and gun permits etc. I’ll be getting into JNB at 7:00 PM ( I’ll be traveling with my wife and two teenage boys). Any input or suggestions on which overnight option is safer or a better option would be appreciated. Thanks I’m advance

I would recommend African Sky Lodge, but the city hotel in the airport will work. You will have a much more pleasant experience at African Sky, meet some great people, and be well cared for. The only reason I would stay at the city hotel is if I had a very short layover (less than 10 hours.)
Enjoy!
Bill

African sky would be the way to go, most hunters stay there. But as llamapacker mentioned, city hotel is fine for a quick turn. I almost stayed there but due to a flight change I didn't need to. Either choice will work.

Good job on getting someone to help you with permits, it is worth it.

Just stay right there and limit the chance of anything happening by leaving the airport. I stayed right there both times I had to and it is a nice hotel and will do all you need for a nights stay.

Your first trip to Africa sounds really exciting! To answer your questions, when you check in your luggage and gun in El Paso, it should ideally transfer all the way to your final destination. However, policies can vary, so it's best to confirm with Delta. You'll usually have to declare firearms at your point of entry in South Africa and may need to present the necessary paperwork.
If you ever find yourself planning more travels and want a seamless experience, check out https://www.aerialjets.com/fort-lauderdale-private-jet-rentals-are-here-for-you/. They offer private jet rentals in Fort Lauderdale with a variety of aircraft options. Imagine not having to worry about layovers, luggage transfers, or crowded terminals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom