FLOOR-IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

TFinalshot

Man's footprint on ecosystem of Earth 'too heavy to be sustained'
By Lewis Smith
A WWF study says that we have been living beyond the environment's means for two decades

THE Earth?s natural resources are being used 25 per cent faster than the planet can renew them, analysis by WWF indicates.
Measurements of crop yields, carbon-dioxide emissions, fishing and the use of forests suggest that Mankind?s ecological footprint is too big to be sustained.

Since 1961 it has more than tripled in size and, for the past 20 years, mankind has been living beyond its ecological means, a WWF report said. It is the equivalent, in banking terms, of living off capital rather than interest.
Using United Nations projections of the worldwide growth of the human population and economies, the report predicts that by the middle of the century ?large-scale ecosystem collapse? is likely.
The world?s average footprint is calculated to be 2.2 hectares per capita but only 1.8 hectares of each person?s consumption can be regenerated by the planet each year.
Carbon-dioxide emissions are the biggest single factor within the footprint, accounting for up to 48 per cent of man?s impact on the globe, according to the WWF Living Planet Report.
The speed at which resources are being used has had the effect of destroying biodiversity at an unprecedented rate.
By tracking the fortunes of 1,313 species of vertebrates from around the world, the report indicated that there had been a 30 per cent slump in wildlife since 1970.
Tropical species, including mammals, reptiles and birds, were the most badly hit of the 695 land-based animals monitored. They declined by an average of 55 per cent, while the populations of temperate creatures have, overall, remained stable since 1970.
Marine species declined by an average of 25 per cent in the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian and Southern Oceans. The index monitored 274 species and there was particular concern about the loss of cod, tuna and turtles.
Late last century the land habitat that vanished fastest were tropical grassland, flooded grasslands and savannas, and tropical dry forests. They were replaced with either crops or grazing land for livestock.
Mangroves were highlighted as the most endangered habitat, with more than a third being lost to developments between 1990 and 2000, twice the rate at which tropical forests are being destroyed.
Jonathan Loh, of the Zoological Society of London, one of the authors of the report, said: ?The Living Planet Index is a stark indication of the rapid and ongoing loss of biodiversity worldwide.
?Populations of species in terrestrial, marine and freshwater ecosystems have declined by more than 30 per cent since 1970, a rate that is unprecedented in human history. In the tropics the declines are even more dramatic, as natural resources are being intensively exploited for human use.?
His colleague, Ben Collen, added: ?It makes depressing reading. It's another stark indication that we are losing biodiversity at an unprecedented rate. But one of the messages is we do have a choice at this point. We can moderate our consumption and become a less throwaway society.?
Man's footprint on ecosystem of Earth 'too heavy to be sustained'
By Lewis Smith
A WWF study says that we have been living beyond the environment's means for two decades

THE Earth?s natural resources are being used 25 per cent faster than the planet can renew them, analysis by WWF indicates.
Measurements of crop yields, carbon-dioxide emissions, fishing and the use of forests suggest that Mankind?s ecological footprint is too big to be sustained.

Since 1961 it has more than tripled in size and, for the past 20 years, mankind has been living beyond its ecological means, a WWF report said. It is the equivalent, in banking terms, of living off capital rather than interest.
Using United Nations projections of the worldwide growth of the human population and economies, the report predicts that by the middle of the century ?large-scale ecosystem collapse? is likely.
The world?s average footprint is calculated to be 2.2 hectares per capita but only 1.8 hectares of each person?s consumption can be regenerated by the planet each year.
Carbon-dioxide emissions are the biggest single factor within the footprint, accounting for up to 48 per cent of man?s impact on the globe, according to the WWF Living Planet Report.
The speed at which resources are being used has had the effect of destroying biodiversity at an unprecedented rate.
By tracking the fortunes of 1,313 species of vertebrates from around the world, the report indicated that there had been a 30 per cent slump in wildlife since 1970.
Tropical species, including mammals, reptiles and birds, were the most badly hit of the 695 land-based animals monitored. They declined by an average of 55 per cent, while the populations of temperate creatures have, overall, remained stable since 1970.
Marine species declined by an average of 25 per cent in the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian and Southern Oceans. The index monitored 274 species and there was particular concern about the loss of cod, tuna and turtles.
Late last century the land habitat that vanished fastest were tropical grassland, flooded grasslands and savannas, and tropical dry forests. They were replaced with either crops or grazing land for livestock.
Mangroves were highlighted as the most endangered habitat, with more than a third being lost to developments between 1990 and 2000, twice the rate at which tropical forests are being destroyed.
Jonathan Loh, of the Zoological Society of London, one of the authors of the report, said: ?The Living Planet Index is a stark indication of the rapid and ongoing loss of biodiversity worldwide.
?Populations of species in terrestrial, marine and freshwater ecosystems have declined by more than 30 per cent since 1970, a rate that is unprecedented in human history. In the tropics the declines are even more dramatic, as natural resources are being intensively exploited for human use.?
His colleague, Ben Collen, added: ?It makes depressing reading. It's another stark indication that we are losing biodiversity at an unprecedented rate. But one of the messages is we do have a choice at this point. We can moderate our consumption and become a less throwaway society.?

I know, it's a big conspiracy aint it. It's all fabricated to try and make people fee guilty. Yea, thats it.

You know what, yawn all you want, in fact why dont you plan righ now to tell your grand children about what the good ol days used to be like!

>I know, it's a big conspiracy
>aint it. It's all
>fabricated to try and make
>people fee guilty. Yea,
>thats it.
>
>You know what, yawn all you
>want, in fact why dont
>you plan righ now to
>tell your grand children about
>what the good ol days
>used to be like!

You mean like my grandparents tell me now?
Like when they used to sing Christmas carols in school?
Like when people were held responsible for thier own actions?
Like when the answer to every problem wasn't a new tax or Gov't program?
Like when the Gov't didn't try to legistate a persons safety with stupid seat belt laws, anti-smoking laws, and million dollar lawsuits cause some old bag spilled her hot coffee?
Like when the tax payers weren't responsible for your retirement, healthcare, precription meds, etc?
Like when patriotism, flag waiving, and the mention of God were not taboo?

Yes, those were the good ol days, weren't they?

.................and it is all George Bush's and the radical right wings fault!!!

JB

You can thank the libs for all that crap moneyman. TFinal it's naturally occurring. The earth goes through it all the time. It's constantly changing. You are wasting your time putting this hogwash on here all the time. It's getting quite boring and putting people to sleep.

The world has NEVER gone throught this cycle - next time, before you post, READ the article.

You can't argue with the conservative mind set " Why would it be here if I'm not supposed to use it , and if I'm supposed to use it I may as well use all of it" what's conservative about that? take that with the fact that conseravatives are running up the national debt faster than Paris Hilton ever could and who is conservative and who is liberal anyway? You ultra conservatives are the ones who want the population to grow so don't you care what you leave all for those kids ? I don't have kids anyway so I should just think like you, let's live fat and sassy it'll last as long as I do.

Yeah TFinal and the rain forests were supposed to have disappeared by now. NOT!! Just a bunch of hoopla by the Green Peacers again, trying to scare hell out of everyone.

Huntindude, it was the conservative people who started the conservation movement. The true conservatives still fight for it. Just because we don't agree with global warming and all that other hoopla doesn't mean a dam thing.

TR was the greatest conservationist politition of all time I'll give you that, since then the republicans record has been rather weak with Bush even trying to sell the land TR set aside for us. I don't know what the conservatives are conserving but it's not money or the environment.

Hey, wait a minute...
Sounds to me like this Lewis Smith fellow is plagerizing on Al Gores studies and research.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom