Fly Fishing in SF or Taos Area in Late June?

efnm

I'm looking to go fly fishing up in the area between Santa Fe and Taos with my brother in late June. He's visiting from out of state and helping me have fun while I turn the big 4-0.

Since I'm a complete rookie at fly fishing (he's done it before) and don't know that much about the northern part of the state, we were thinking of getting a guide. Does anyone have some thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Ephraim

Check out Taos Fly Shop or Solitary Anglers, I have never fished with either of them but both have lots of experience here in Taos/surrounding areas and So.Colorado. I have heard good things about both.

People fish the Rio Grande (Pilar) between SF and Taos, Valles Caldera and some of the tributaries that flow towards the Pecos.

There was an article written by Karl Moffet about a week or so ago on this part of the Rio Grande, fishing is actually very good right now down in there...

I would also highly recommend you guys fish the Valles Caldera. Not a bunch of big fish, most are in the 8-12" range but you have the opportunity to hook into one up to 18". If you are sneaky enough and can consistently place a fly in a tight spot, you can easily net 20+ fish in the matter of a few hours.

Not to mention the scenery is great and there are no longer any special fees, all you need is a valid NM fishing license.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I know it isn't quite the area you mentioned but if I was going fishing up north with someone that is a rookie fly fisherman and planning to do a guided trip, I would go with a guided drift boat trip on the San Juan. I see plenty of people that don't have a clue about fly fishing catch fish with a guide in a drift boat on the Juan.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom