fly repellant ?

dominguez

I have heard that black pepper is good at keeping flys off of your animals once you have them hanging.is this true? Is there something better?

It is not recommended to put black pepper on your hanging game meat if you plan to bring it to a butcher. The butcher cannot distinguish between the pepper and fly $hit so they cut it all off. Use a good cheesecloth game bag or a old pillow case and knot the end to keep the flies out.

GBA

I think the flies may actually prefer seasoned meat.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I highly recommend the aerated game bags. HOWEVER, in the old days (50s, 60s & earlier), almost everybody used pepper for that very purpose. (At least those in southern Idaho and those in norther Utah.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

My wife took some old sheets and stiched them up to make game bags(sew the bottom and one side leaving the top open) and they work great for whole body or for quarters. When done just spray them down with meat tenderizer(removes blood) and wash them back up for the next time.

Took her maybe 5 minutes to sew them up.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Similar to Gator's bags, we bought some material,(muslin), similar to bedsheets at the fabric store and my mother-in-law sewed up some great bags for us. They will cover a whole deer or an elk quarter. We usually skin and quarter the animal boning out the neck and rib meat, put it in the bags, tie up the neck of the bag and hang it till time to load the horses. Has worked real well for years. Never had a problem with flys once the meat is in the bags.

I use the breathable game bags and spray a 10% solution of citric acid on the outside of the bags. The fly's and bee's seem to hate it,has worked great for me.

-Mtngoat

+1 for sewing up old sheets... If you're backpack or horseback hunting and have to quarter/de bone pillow cases are perfect..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Runnoft,

We had to tweak the formula for Wild Game Guardian in order to achieve a pH that was low enough to fight bacteria that causes game meat spoilage as well as hair slippage but not too low so it wouldn't burn the hair on your capes. In doing this, the product isn't as effective as a fly repellent. The formula will slightly deter flies as it is an acidic solution, but it's primary purpose is for protecting your game meat and capes in the field. Basically, we're selling the product as a game meat and cape anti-microbial. More info on our site.

Thx for thinking of us!

Try the thrift stores for old sheets if you don't have any, Or buy your wife some new ones and take the olds and make up your bags. I brought some on sale pillow case(walmart) also to take in case we do quarters and such.Been using the same ones for about 6 years or so.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

As stated above, king sized pillow cases do the trick. Anything made from a light weight breathable material will do the trick as long as the weave is tight enough to keep the bugs and dirt out. Some game bags do a great job. Some are useless. Vern Butler used to sell some spray on stuff out of his pro shop in Evanston, but I don't remember what it was.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom