food for thought

idabigbuck

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-07 AT 08:51AM (MST)[p]Does God exist??

A German university professor challenged his students with this question: Did God create everything that exists? "
A student bravely replied "Yes, he did!"
"God created everything?" the professor asked.
"Yes sir." the student replied.
The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are, then God is evil."
The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.
Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"
"Of course," replied the professor.
The student stood up and asked, "Professor does cold exist?"
The professor replied "Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"
The students snickered at the young man's question.
The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute
zero (- 460 degrees F)is the total absence of heat. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat.
The student continued. "Professor, does darkness exist?"
The professor responded, "Of course it does."
The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir. Darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness.
In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wave lengths
of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it.
How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present.
Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."
Finally the young man asked the professor. "Sir, does evil exist?"
Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."
To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir,or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God.
God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."
The professor sat down.

Interesting slant, so anyone who doesn't believe in god, or isn't a christian for that matter is evil? if there's an absence of god ( your god )then all that that could fill the void would be evil? I've been called a jerk more than once but nobody who knows me would call me evil. if religion can't make a better cae for itself than this it's no wonder there's 10,000 different ones.

Did you read what I said? yes it's WAY out there. to suggest that people without what the christians belieive to be god displacing the evil that otherwise fills the void they are is nothing short of goofy to a sane person. I'm not insulted by it because it's all nonsense to me, all I'm saying is com'on now.

Dude,
I knew I could count on you. This essay is just another way of looking at things.

There are people of far more intelligence than you or I that believe there is a God. Including Kings, Presidents, leaders in Business and Science, and most likely even members of your own family!

No it's goofy way at looking at things. religion for good or bad is part of human culture and it's normal and accepted I understand that. it's when loons go off the deep end with stuff like this that it's fair to call B.S. on it. if all people not filled with your god are evil then there's millions here in the US alone, if enough radicals believed this stuff they'ld try to stamp out evil here at home and then around the world. we'ld be just like the wacko's in Iraq, I'm sure no harm was ment by it in this case but there's some more food for thought.

What you call goofy and BS, many others would call perfectly sound reasoning. As posted above yours' is not the only opinion that matters.

You can't be serious? a non christian is a void filled by evil? that's sound reasoning? I'll admit I have opinions but this isn't about an opinion it's about common sense. wow, this is creepy.

It's sometimes useless to try and prove that there is a God.Some people just won't except it.God does'nt have to prove Himself to anyone. When Moses ask God who he should tell the children of Israel sent him.[to lead them out of Egypt]. God simply said tell them "I Am" sent you.

According to you everyone who ever believed in God, and that includes most if not all Presidents, have no common sense. What is creepy is that you are the only one with any common sense. Congratulations, you must feel pretty good being the smartest man in history!

Just breath dude. Your reading comprehension can't be that bad. Exactly where does it say that a non Christian is a void filled with evil. What it does say is that evil is a result of the absence of God. Now that is not so hard to understand is it! But according to you all of the BILLIONS of people that believe it are idiots.

Funny thing is, if you're right, you just cease to exist when someone puts you out of your misery by assisting your suicide.

But if your wrong.............

My comprehension isn't that bad, it says " evil is the result of what happens when man does not have god's love present in his heart" well that's me, and a few billion other non christians. I'm not saying religion is bad or people who worship are crazy at all, but I don't think people like myself are more subject to evil do to the lack of our interest in religion, or if you choose a non christian religion. Jeffrey Dalmher and Torqumada were both very religious so there goes your theory right there, both seemed more evil than me. most of my freinds go to church and hey that's fine, it's just part of life for the majority of rural folks and I've grown up with it and understand it, they're great people I respect and hold dear. in my 44 years not once has one of them preached or looked down on me for not going to church as they do, we respect each other's beliefs. on the other hand I have some freinds, well let's say ex freinds who are deep in the born again thing and they can be VERY pushy. I've even threatened to thump one of them if he didn't lay off trying to pull me into his cult, then the whole mess of them tried to save me, this TICKS me off no end. this essay you call it sounds just like something they'ld preach so I figured it was good debate material. don't write me off as anti religion because I'm not, I'm anti weirdo is all.

Dude once again you have deliberatly mischaracterized the point to make an argument. The point was that the absence of God in one's heart leads to evil. One does not have to believe in God to have the presence of God in their heart, an assumption your misdirected argument is based on. In essence the presence of God in one's heart means the person has a love for their fellow man/woman and themselves. It does not mean you have to be of a particular faith. In fact, I suspect there are many people who may not consider themselves religious, may even tout that they do not believe in God, yet still have the presence of Goid in their heart.

Huntingdude brought up one of the biggest problems with the Religion in general. His experience with "pushy" Christians has hardened him towards Christianity (no offense meant here)instead of sharing with him in their own fulfillment without judgement and then leading by example.
I am Christian, I will be the first to admitt I do not have all the answers. Christians (in general) have a problem with the difference between judgement and disernment. It is not our place to be judgemental (though we all are to some extent it is human nature) and this shows itself in the pushy "you will go to hell if you do not" attitude that non-Christians see. It only takes one misguided Christian to harden many people (no matter how true they believe their intentions are). The best description of Disernment that I have heard is "when one is not being Christlike" this should be pointed inward towards ourselves before we use it to label someone else. As every Christian knows, none of us can reach the perfection of Christ, though that is the goal of every practicing Christian. And because we are human we screw that up every day, LOL.
What we keep forgetting is Christ told us the two most important things are:
Love God
Love People
He did not say go out and force you friends to feel guilty and push them away, or place yourself above others because you "asume to know their heart"
I need more coffee

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-07 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]I hate to interupt your debate but here it is from the scripture's...

Isaiah 45: 7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

there was always a plan B, God knew we (mankind) would screw it up, so he had to create evil!

Manny I can never decipher anything you put on here but from what I can gather you're saying god made evil? honestly I'm not trying to argue with you but I'd alway understood god battled evil, why would you create something to fight? that just makes no sense, things like this are why I just can't buy into religion.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-07 AT 04:23PM (MST)[p]just my two cents. Evil has to exist. There must be opposition in all things. With out sadness how would we know happiness, without misery, how would we know joy and so on. I don't think God created evil so that he would have something to fight against. I think we were put here to learn and grow and progress by making choices between good and evil. No one said anyone was evil, they just posted a little story to demonstate that the absence of God, CAN lead to evil. I believe that is true. I think we can be and possibly are more suseptible to evil if we do not have God in our lives. That does not mean anyone is perfect...but we can all be better people no matter what belief you have.

Hunt'

First off I'm just as human as everyone here, so it can be a little puzzling it's true.

I'd have to take you back to the story of Adam & Eve and you know who, (Lucifer) i.e.: the devil' to my understanding Lucifer was created before man was, that being said, he, the devil rebelled against God because of Pride and jealousy entered his (devil) heart.

The devil conspired against God and said he would have a kingdom and subjects also, being a threat, God tossed him and as the Bible says, a legion of angles fell with him to the earth or tossed from heaven.

After the creation of man and wo-man, Lucifer tempted the woman to defy Gods order to not eat from the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, (which I think was peyote LOL) but she listened to Lucifer anyways...

Thus my statement "there was allays a plan B"

If the woman would have never listened to you know who, we would not know evil in this world today, which was plan A...

Now I admit, I have plenty of Q's myself, but God never wanted a bunch of robots to show him love, he has angels for that, he just wants us to willfully love him and trust he know what's best for us, even today.

Remember, if God wanted to rid the world of evil, he would have to kill a lot of people who give into its lure every day, so he gave us all a choice to make?

***** Hebrews: 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.****

I guess that's why they call it faith, because to a non believer even though I know your intentions are good you can't imagine how far fetched all that sounds. the thing about the woman ignoring God, is that why women can't hold higher positions in the church? I've always wondered if they were just old school or if there was a reason.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-07 AT 11:59PM (MST)[p]> I guess that's why they
>call it faith, because to
>a non believer even though
>I know your intentions are
>good you can't imagine
>how far fetched all that
>sounds. the thing about the
>woman ignoring God, is that
>why women can't hold higher
>positions in the church? I've
>always wondered if they were
>just old school or if
>there was a reason.

==============================
1st Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to wisdom, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel,

1st Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man(usurp; intransitive verb : to seize or exercise authority)... God said it not me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom