Food on a hike. Need ideas.

TripleK

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]This is Karter, TripleK's son and I'm going on a week long hike and I have to take my own lunch to pack every day. We will be doing day hikes in the high Uintas every day. What are some suggestions of something to take? I might not be able to boil water everyday so I'm thinking MREs aren't a great idea.

Ideas?

Karter

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]This is Karter, TripleK's son and I'm going on a week long hike and I have to take my own lunch to pack every day. We will be doing day hikes in the high Uintas every day. What are some suggestions of something to take? I might not be able to boil water everyday so I'm thinking MREs aren't a great idea.

Ideas?

Karter

You could take MRE's. Everything you need is in the kit.

I always take some jerky, apples, and a snickers bar jst to name a few things. Have fun and enjoy!!

You could take MRE's. Everything you need is in the kit.

I always take some jerky, apples, and a snickers bar jst to name a few things. Have fun and enjoy!!

Take your rifle and shoot whatever you want. You would be a hero if you dumped a big old elk or a moose and could feed all the campers!! :)

Take your rifle and shoot whatever you want. You would be a hero if you dumped a big old elk or a moose and could feed all the campers!! :)

If it's just a day hike how about dried fruit/nuts/MM's (trail mix), zone bars are good and have good nutrition, lunch meat/cheese/crackers is another idea. Just keep the weight down. Good Luck

If it's just a day hike how about dried fruit/nuts/MM's (trail mix), zone bars are good and have good nutrition, lunch meat/cheese/crackers is another idea. Just keep the weight down. Good Luck

MRE's are fantastic all you need is a little bit of water and the heater comes in the packet.
Granola bars and Jerky are always good. I like to take some sort of hard candy to give your taste buds a kick every now and then. Have fun

MRE's are fantastic all you need is a little bit of water and the heater comes in the packet.
Granola bars and Jerky are always good. I like to take some sort of hard candy to give your taste buds a kick every now and then. Have fun

Karter, the new MRE's come with a heater that you just add a couple ounces of water to and they get the meal really hot... Having said that MRE's are to heavy for a week long hike.. Freeze dried meals are what you want for dinner (Someone in you're group will need a pack stove)..

If a lunch is all you need to pack you can go a lot cheaper than the freeze dried meals by taking any of the following..

Tuna or chicken (in a plastic pouch not a can) with crackers
Cup of Soups or Ramen noodles(will need a stove to boil water)
Granola bars/power bars
cheese/peanut butter crackers
Pop tarts
Tortilla's and salami

There's many more that I can't think of right now.. Basically you will want at least 100 calories per ounce of pack weight.. So if you are packing a meal that weighs 5 ounces it should contain 500 calories..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Karter, the new MRE's come with a heater that you just add a couple ounces of water to and they get the meal really hot... Having said that MRE's are to heavy for a week long hike.. Freeze dried meals are what you want for dinner (Someone in you're group will need a pack stove)..

If a lunch is all you need to pack you can go a lot cheaper than the freeze dried meals by taking any of the following..

Tuna or chicken (in a plastic pouch not a can) with crackers
Cup of Soups or Ramen noodles(will need a stove to boil water)
Granola bars/power bars
cheese/peanut butter crackers
Pop tarts
Tortilla's and salami

There's many more that I can't think of right now.. Basically you will want at least 100 calories per ounce of pack weight.. So if you are packing a meal that weighs 5 ounces it should contain 500 calories..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

You can't go wrong with a good ol peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For snacks go with some trail mix and candy bars. Take some gatorade powder to add with your water. The other hikers will be jealous. Have fun young man !

You can't go wrong with a good ol peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For snacks go with some trail mix and candy bars. Take some gatorade powder to add with your water. The other hikers will be jealous. Have fun young man !

>A basket of Moms muffins...... Terry
>

Yeah right! I WISH my mom would bake muffins or something. anything really. TripleK doesn't bake much. at all.

>A basket of Moms muffins...... Terry
>

Yeah right! I WISH my mom would bake muffins or something. anything really. TripleK doesn't bake much. at all.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]LOL....Karter I think you might need to read post # 65 on a thread I brought to the top for you titled "Question for Roy".... I think Mom may have been holding out on you...... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]LOL....Karter I think you might need to read post # 65 on a thread I brought to the top for you titled "Question for Roy".... I think Mom may have been holding out on you...... Terry

Go for the Mountain House Freezed Dried dinners. There are lots of options. For Breakfast I usually bring some oatmeal packs and do jerky +trail mix for lunch.

I have some friends who swear by peanutbutter bacon beagels but I'm not that hard core.

Good luck

respect my authorita

Go for the Mountain House Freezed Dried dinners. There are lots of options. For Breakfast I usually bring some oatmeal packs and do jerky +trail mix for lunch.

I have some friends who swear by peanutbutter bacon beagels but I'm not that hard core.

Good luck

respect my authorita

Karter, the very best lunch meal you can take hiking is turtle jerkey. It's delicious and good for you.

Do you have any turtle jerkey? Do you have an uncle who can give you some? I make sure all my nephews have plenty. It's kind of an uncles job.

Have fun, and be careful!

Eel

Karter, the very best lunch meal you can take hiking is turtle jerkey. It's delicious and good for you.

Do you have any turtle jerkey? Do you have an uncle who can give you some? I make sure all my nephews have plenty. It's kind of an uncles job.

Have fun, and be careful!

Eel

JUDAS!

Hope Kolby is gettin a Samich once in a while?

Take the Gun Mom doesn't know you carry/own Karter!

A few Bullets & You've got Dinner!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

JUDAS!

Hope Kolby is gettin a Samich once in a while?

Take the Gun Mom doesn't know you carry/own Karter!

A few Bullets & You've got Dinner!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

If you go back to where you make the next day's lunch, or even one that will last a few days in a pack, one of my favorites, crunchy peanut butter, lots of rasberry jam, and then load it with a thick layer of well done bacon. You might want to use hard rolls to hold down the smashing.

If you go back to where you make the next day's lunch, or even one that will last a few days in a pack, one of my favorites, crunchy peanut butter, lots of rasberry jam, and then load it with a thick layer of well done bacon. You might want to use hard rolls to hold down the smashing.

I like to backpack in the high mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. My lunch comprises (1) GORP, (2) Longhorn Colby cheese on rye-crisp, (3) fruit roll-ups, (4) beef jerky, (5) chocolate bar. I don't always take all of this, but that's a start anyway. The GORP is a mix of granola, trail-mix, and M&Ms. Usually, I mix about 1.5 LBS of granola (french vanilla and almond granola), 1 LBS trail mix, and about 12 oz of M&Ms. The trail mix usually has a mix of nuts such as peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts and dried fruits such as raisins, chopped dates, and other dried fruits and maybe some seeds such as sunflower seeds. I really love the GORP. I will keep a bag of this in the side pocket of my backpack and at rest stops I will fetch out this bag and eat a couple of handfulls to keep my spirits and my energy up. There are now cheese sticks available in stores where you can buy individually wrapped pieces of cheese about the size of an ink pen. Thus, you don't have to fuss with a 1 LBS block of cheese but can carry the quantity you'll likely eat and not have to worry about keeping the remaining cheese fresh. This kind of cheese doesn't need to be highly refrigerated -- it tends to tolerate being out of the refrigerator pretty well, just keep it wrapped up or it will dry out.

I like to backpack in the high mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. My lunch comprises (1) GORP, (2) Longhorn Colby cheese on rye-crisp, (3) fruit roll-ups, (4) beef jerky, (5) chocolate bar. I don't always take all of this, but that's a start anyway. The GORP is a mix of granola, trail-mix, and M&Ms. Usually, I mix about 1.5 LBS of granola (french vanilla and almond granola), 1 LBS trail mix, and about 12 oz of M&Ms. The trail mix usually has a mix of nuts such as peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts and dried fruits such as raisins, chopped dates, and other dried fruits and maybe some seeds such as sunflower seeds. I really love the GORP. I will keep a bag of this in the side pocket of my backpack and at rest stops I will fetch out this bag and eat a couple of handfulls to keep my spirits and my energy up. There are now cheese sticks available in stores where you can buy individually wrapped pieces of cheese about the size of an ink pen. Thus, you don't have to fuss with a 1 LBS block of cheese but can carry the quantity you'll likely eat and not have to worry about keeping the remaining cheese fresh. This kind of cheese doesn't need to be highly refrigerated -- it tends to tolerate being out of the refrigerator pretty well, just keep it wrapped up or it will dry out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom