foot care for dogs?

NVMDF

I'm sure you guys have some great tips for me, I'll explain.
My English setter has very soft feet, about a month proir to
the hunting season starting I will run her 3 times a week on
hard rocky roads 4-8 miles. I thought this should be enough to
to condition her feet, but after a hard day of hunting chukers
her pads are cut and bleeding.

I recently received a pig hunting mag. from a friend in
Australia, they use dogs for pig hunting and there is an article
on dog foot care. They use a product called methylated spirits
for thickening up the pads. has anyone ever used this? Any other
tips?

On another note, this mag. kicks A$$, there is a section called
boars & Babes, chicks in skanky outfits, guns, and dead hogs,
sounds like a hound doggers dream. The mag. is called Bacon Busters.

thanks guys, NVMDF

Hopefully muleyqueen will see this thread and be able to help.She is a veterinarain and should be able to help.

Theres a whole slew of products for toughing up pads, but I prefer just keeping your dog hunted all the time and they will stay tough. If you run them off, run them back on. Keeping there toenails trimmed up good also helps out alot also.

Check out some of the products available at some of the retail pet magazines. There are some leather "shoes" available that would work great and not get in the way. You can also use some 'newskin' or liquid bandage material (or even clear nail laquer) to coat the pads just prior to running. Just be sure to take the stuff off afterward. Eventually it should resolve itself. Is this a young dog? What kind of yard does it have? What kind of food does she eat? This stuff really matters :)

Muleyqueen,
She is 4 years old, while I'm at work she is on a concrete slab,
and when I get home she is on grass and gravel yard, I feed Purina one in the off season, durring hunting season I feed
canned food with puppy food with higher protein. I have used the
velcro on booties, but they are shot after a short time. Do you
think I should try the lether booties.

Thanks, NVMDF

Being on concrete helps. I would definately try the leather booties, but be sure to break them in for her (neatsfoot oil...). I've also seen some neoprene ones that look really cool (might wear out too soon though). Try giving a multivitamin and mineral supplement also (Pet Tabs or something comparable). Have fun and be careful.

Thanks for your help Muleyqueen, I'll keep the runnning
up, and get a pair of the leather boots and incorporate
them in with the running they should be broken in well
about the time the season rolls around. Any other tips
guys?

thanks, NVMDF

Trade in that setter for a real dog, I think Waycool breeds shorthairs! My dog cut up a pad last week while we were out after chukars, but she is over it now. When are you guys going to get some snow up there, I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and chase some birds with you.

Rut

Duct tape is the best by far!!!!

Later Yall!!!!
bucks.gif

I SOFA KING WE TALL DID!!!!

white vinegar morning and night, saved my dogs feet when we were in southern arizona.

Mulehound

Mulehound,
White vinegar to toughen them up or heal cut-up pads? Do you make them soak their feet for a while or brush it on? I'm curious.

Rut

When we get going at the first of the year or we are in a real rocky rough area, we soak each foot in a small pan of vinegar morning and night, for about twenty seconds a foot, unless they are sore and tender then you do it until it stops stinging their feet. seems to draw the quick back and toughen the foot. An old houndsman showed it to me one day when he saw me and my pack of bloody footed hounds.

Mulehound.

My advice for foot care on your dogs may sound weird but it really works. Get a divorce. That will be the best thing that has ever happened to your dogs feet.

Then you'll be out hunting constantly and your dogs feet will really toughen up.

Walkerdawgs was right that hunting them more will help, but I'd take that a step further. Just get a divorce and your dogs feet will be fine. ;-) ;-)

I'd be careful about what Mulehound says. My guess is that stuff in the bottle was nowhere close to white vinegar, unless there is such thing as 90 proof vinegar.

Most likely him and Gus were cracking out the hip flask for a quick snort when their Preacher come riding up the trail. Quick thinkin' Mulehound jumped off his donkey and claimed he was "doctorin' up his dogs with some medicine"...

My guess is "vinegar" is some code name for the GR boys. When Mulehound says, "Gus, don't forget the white vinegar" he really means go to the liquor store and LOAD UP!!

-Dawg
www.cougartracks.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom