For Idahoron....

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
I have a Lyman 57SML sight headed my way for my TC Hawken, it is a .54 caliber. Right now I'm thinking of putting on the new sight and possibly adding the Globe front sight as well, to the original factory 1-48" twist barrel. I know that I can get a Green Mtn. barrel in .50 w/1-28", but was wondering why not try to get the factory barrel to shoot well first? Any thoughts on this plan? I was thinknig of trying the 425 gr Great Plains bullet. Oh yeah, Do you "weigh" or "measure by volume" your pyrodex charges? Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-07 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]1/48" is too middle of the road IMO for muzzleloaders. You should go slower if you want to shoot roundballs (1/66"), or slightly faster like 1/38" for conicals.

For the 1/48" twists, I've found the "Ball-ets" to work surprisingly well at times. They are a hybrid of the roundball / conical.

All black powders and substitutes are measured by "volume". If you look closely, pyrodex is physically lighter than black powder, but they make it "fluffy" so it takes up the same volume to generate equal pressure.

Congrats on the .54, it'll thump'em good!

-DallanC

DallanC is right the 48 twist is just too yellow line for me. I have shot the 48 with the bullets you are going to try. I had some luck with it but I get super groups with the faster twist.
When you compare the 50 to the 54, the 50 will out perform the 54 at long range. The front sight made a huge difference for me because I could aim at something and not cover it up with the front sight. The fine pin of the Lee Shavers inserts are amazing.
I do measure by volume, that is the correct method.
I have a thread on here about how to install the sight. I filed the base down instead of the wood. I wanted the wood to stay orignal. Ron

DallanC and Idahoron,
Thanks for the suggestions guys. If I do upgrade the barrel I'll probably go with the .50 cal Green Mtn 1 - 28". The gun is plenty heavy as is and adding that 1" .50 barrel will add some more weight, but maybe I'll "bite the bullet" and spend the $ for the different barrel. Decisions ... Decisions

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-07 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]Watch on ebay. Sometimes you can get a good deal. Ron

DallanC and Idahoron are correct on the 1 in 48 twist barrel. The 1 in 48 is a compromise between a round ball barrel (1 in 66 to 1 in 70) and a conical barrel (1 in 24 to 1 in 38, most commonly a 1 in 28 to a 1 in 32). In my opinion and based on personal experience, the 1 in 48 doesn't shoot a round ball or a conical bullet well. A conical bullet requires a faster rate of twist to stabilize them for consistent accuracy. This is true with all rifles. Heavier bullets for caliber require faster twist rates for stabilization. Just my 2 cents, Smokepoler63

ps. I just sold a blued 1 in 28 Green Mountain LRH barrel on eBay for $103 and change. They sell new at Cabela's for $189.99, but the best deal I have found for a new one is MidwayUSA.com for $167.99

I have a T/C Hawkin with a Green Mt barrel kit, shoots great! Mine is the .50 cal barrel, 15/16" across the lands. Very good return on the money for someone with a pitted hawkin.

-DallanC

www.prbullet.com
These guys claim to have a .54 caliber bullet suited for just about any twist. Does anyone have experience with these bullets in their muzzleloaders?
What about a 1 in 28" twist .54 caliber barrel?
I know the .54 is not nearly a popular as the .50, but I would think that for most hunting under 150 yards it would do the job.
Thanks again.

I have seen this site. They are swaged bullets so they should be accurate. I didn't look too close but they do have 50's as well. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom