For the Global Warming crybabies

202typical

Long Time Member
I just love this stuff. It simply reinforces what I already know. This is awesome.

In an interview, NASA administrator Michael Griffin questions the need to make fighting global warming a priority. (PhotoDisc)
By CLAYTON SANDELL and BILL BLAKEMORE
May 31, 2007
Font Size

Print

NASA administrator Michael Griffin is drawing the ire of his agency's preeminent climate scientists after apparently downplaying the need to combat global warming.

In an interview broadcast this morning on National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" program, Griffin was asked by NPR's Steve Inskeep whether he is concerned about global warming.
Editor's Picks

"I have no doubt that a trend of global warming exists," Griffin told Inskeep. "I am not sure that it is fair to say that it is a problem we must wrestle with."

"To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that we need to take steps to make sure that it doesn't change," Griffin said. "I guess I would ask which human beings ? where and when ? are to be accorded the privilege of deciding that this particular climate that we have right here today, right now is the best climate for all other human beings. I think that's a rather arrogant position for people to take."

Griffin's comments immediately drew stunned reaction from James Hansen, NASA's top climate scientist at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York.

"It's an incredibly arrogant and ignorant statement," Hansen told ABC News. "It indicates a complete ignorance of understanding the implications of climate change."

Hansen believes Griffin's comments fly in the face of well-established scientific knowledge that hundreds of NASA scientists have contributed to.

"It's unbelievable," said Hansen. "I thought he had been misquoted. It's so unbelievable."

News media inquiries to NASA headquarters about Griffin's comments prompted the space agency to make the unusual move of issuing a news release late Wednesday night.

"NASA is the world's preeminent organization in the study of Earth and the conditions that contribute to climate change and global warming," Griffin said in a statement. "The agency is responsible for collecting data that is used by the science community and policy makers as part of an ongoing discussion regarding our planet's evolving systems. It is NASA's responsibility to collect, analyze and release information. It is not NASA's mission to make policy regarding possible climate change mitigation strategies. As I stated in the NPR interview, we are proud of our role and I believe we do it well."

465f1f0015239869.jpg

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

So what was he saying in the news release statement? Was he supporting his original comments or not?

Seems like in his original comments he was supporting the theory of global warming, but just making a personal statment on whether we should be concerned or not. Do you agree with him 202? What do the Anti-global Warming crybabies have to say about it??? ;-)

Man this topic really polarizes both sides, doesn't it? I don't know what to believe on this topic, as I haven't spent much time really looking at any research. I suspect that if I did some homework that I could find evidence supporting the Global Warming theory, and just as much evidence that dis-credits it.

S.

:)

I just think it is hillarious when you have one crowd, the Algore Messiah crowd claiming "The debate is over" and "its all mans fault" and another crowd, the what I would call the common scense crowd saying "yea so the globe is warming, whats new"

The other thing I find funny/scarry is that this is a NASA guy that is saying this and right there in the article you have quotes of opposing views trying to shut this guy down.

As far as where I stand. The globe may very well be warming, well I take that back, I am sure the globe has been warming ever since the last ice age. It is in no way mans fault. We were not around when the globe began to warm so how could it be. I do not believe that 100 years of smoke stacks and cars have caused global warming because the studdies I have read about from core samples taken from antartica show the coldest climates durring the highest times of carbon in the atmosphere. Therefore I am firmly convinced that man made Global Warming is purely a political issue, designed by those that gain to profit fro it and to gain political power from it.

202 if the elves planted palm trees around their North Pole workshop you still wouldn't believe global warming was a problem. Global warming is a fact, the jury is still out on the cause. when they said smoking caused cancer people like you smoked an extra pack a day just to prove them wrong .

LAST EDITED ON May-31-07 AT 05:22PM (MST)[p]I agree with the comical nature of the whole political "Gore camp vs. the other point of view" stance. Funny how various issues become big time hot buttons from a political stance.

I guess I would kind of align with your point of view on the whole thing. If the planet has been warming & cooling off & on over the centuries, then how can we blame the change in climate on the last 100 years of emissions? Also, who's to say it's a bad thing. Doesn't make sense to me either. Just the evolution of our planet I suppose...

Too bad both sides can't agree on some common ground, as until that happens it will just be more useless political fodder IMO. ;-)

S.

:)

PS: LOL Dude!!! :7

>202 if the elves planted palm
>trees around their North Pole
>workshop you still wouldn't believe
>global warming was a problem.
>Global warming is a fact,
>the jury is still out
>on the cause. when they
>said smoking caused cancer people
>like you smoked an
>extra pack a day just
>to prove them wrong .
>

Dude you obviously did not read my post..........again.............I stated that global warming was happening, there is no doubt because the globe has been warming since the last ice age.............Duh hello McFly........Oh and one more thing Dude just so we are clear, your smoking causes cancer argument,that has NEVER been proven either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the point is this - no matter what's causing it, we had better start talking about the future of the earth and how we plan to deal with rising sea levels and famine, especially those that live near or at sea level - ahhh say about half or more of the 6 billion on earth.

In addition, you guys that what to blow off global warming, or choose to make it a political topic instead of planning for the future should open you backyards to the millions of poor that will starve to death as a result of desertification. . .

I met Mr Griffin a couple years ago at my wifes Graduation at Hopkins... I'd say the guy is fairly qualified to make an opinion on the subject. This is just his schooling, he's held a bunch of top level positions with other agencies.

"Griffin received a bachelor's degree in Physics from Johns Hopkins University; a master's degree in aerospace science from Catholic University of America; a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering from the University of Maryland; a master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Southern California; a master's degree in applied physics from Johns Hopkins University; a master's degree in business administration from Loyola College; and a master's degree in Civil Engineering from George Washington University. He is a certified flight instructor with instrument and multiengine ratings."

A sharp guy, if I were building or flying an air or space craft I'd want him on my team. I'm not sure he's qualified to tell us global warming is bunk. the majority of the scientific community beleives global warming is at least in part man caused so that's good enough to warrant further study in my opinion. I agree the earths atmosphere is always changing and probably always will but at this point it's irresponsible and childish to write it off as just an economic or political scam for profit. we need more proof before we go crazy trying to fix something that may be out of our hands but look around, how much are we doing right now? not much, so I don't think we are or will overreact on it.

Never even seen it. However, I do see and read a lot about what's going on with our global climate and people around the world.

Go tell the indigenous people of what now is Alaska that they are brain washed, or tell the 7 million people of the Indo-Pacific that their brain washed. In just a few years the Indo-Pacific people will be homeless, and worse, landless, and the people of Alaska and the Yukon will be forced to change entirely their diets which, over the long run may mark the final nail in their evolutionary coffin.

The world is much larger than the loan start state sotex.

Just what exactly makes a person or a people indigenous, first of all? Are you simply refering to the folks that happened to move into a certain region before anyone else did? First Peoples?

Secondly what makes you think that any of those people were meant to live in that area?

I would submit that simply being the first people to choose an area to live does not require the rest of the world to look out for their well being when good o'l mother nature kicks them out. With that said this gets us back to what I have always said about political power. Convince America and Americans it is their fault that these folks are being misplaced due to the myth of man made global warming and you've got yourself a whole gob of money/taxes and whole bunch of political power.

Lastly there is no way in H that human beings can change the course of mother nature. We must adapt...................just like we always have!

Wow I feel better now, the Inuits can just move to higher ground and live off pineapple and coconuts, no more harsh winters and seal blubber for them. and here we thought we had a problem.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom