...for those who use shooting sticks

ck

Any tips you can provide? I'm practicing with several different models right now trying to see what works best for me. So far I like the Snipe Pod best and seem to do best with it when I sit Indian style, left elbow on left knee and both hands at the pistol grip on the rifle, leaning somewhat into the sticks. Any other tips or tricks you use to help me steady the rifle at 300 yards would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you are in trees or brush and a stout branch or small trunk is available get ahold of it and the shooting stick at the same time. Of course, a clear view must be presented but it helps steady the aim for me. At least it worked last year.

If you ever use sticks that you carry then do not put barrel onto sticks but rather be sure the forearm of the stock rests on the sticks.

I have been in lots of situations around sage where have to stand to get clear shot so is beneficial to also figure out how to shoot when standing.

A backpack makes a steady platform if have the time for setting up for the shot and vegetation is not tall.

I have even popped my spotting scope off the tripod and used the tripod as shooting sticks.

Good luck.

You are never going to find any commercial sticks that work in every situation.

I have Harris bipods, but rarely can I use them due to tall sage or willow. They work great off the roof of my truck on 'yotes......illegal, I know.

The tall, collapsible sticks, get real wobbly when you need them to be used in a sitting position.

Rocks and trees are still the best bet.

All good advice above, I have also found if you set the sticks a little bit ahead of you and them pull them back into you with the rifle. It steadies it up for me.

Also, only extend them as much as you absolutely need them for stability.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-09 AT 09:03AM (MST)[p]I have used stony points on nearly every elk deer and antelope I have shot in the past 6 or so years. Extended and in my hand from the second I leave the truck. Killed a few elk with them that I might not have due to huffing and puffing and heavy breathing while climbing a mountain. Really helps to steady your aim....I have a buddy who has the tent pole style ones that he keeps in a case on his belt, he's usually trying to get them out and set up about the time I shoot;)

+1 SS

I use mine as walking sticks sometimes and have them adjusted for a kneeling shot. One used them to shoot at an animal once though.

I mostly use my shooting sticks as a bipod of sorts for my binos. Doing this I have never seen the need for tripod adapters, it seriously stills my bino picture and lets me see movement better.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

I'm another that uses my spotting scope tripod. Way more stable than any of the sticks that are now laying in my garage and I always have it with me anyways, so one less thing to carry.

My wife is hotter than Tiffany's mother!

I made some that work great... They give you a steady platform to shoot from, From 4 ft high to sitting to laying down. uneven terrain everything, Light to carry.. and they were really really cheap to make. lightweight and you dont worry about losing them.

I'm still deciding if I want to market them. Anyone wanna try them and give me a review? 15 bucks they are yours.

Send me a pm if interested.

i have made my own shooting sticks and it costed less than $5.

i bought to fiber glass poles about 4ft long. and an 1 1/2 in diameter oring. did three loops in the oring and slid it onto the poles. it is the most steady stooting stick i have owned.

You might consider the GunClaw. It is virtually bench steady with a set of Steady Stix under the rifle butt.
http://thegunclaw.com/

The use of cross sticks under the rifle butt will improve the steadiness of Harris bipods, Steady Stix, Pole Cats, Snipe pods etc. for long shots. I like a tripod (pole cat tripod or steady stix w/ 3rd leg) up front as opposed to 2 legged stix.

InnerBasinPano2-copy.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom