For you desert sheep freaks.

B

bullwidgeon

Here are some pics from me helping my uncles with a hunter they have in Arizona this year. I was packing around one of their camcorders and videoing most of the good rams I saw but I managed to dig out my camera for a few of the lesser ones. They are still out there hunting looking for a ram I found and videod 10 days ago, but this weekend they may tag out on the second biggest we have seen if the biggest does not show. It has been 10 days since we have seen the biggest. It is frustrating as to how mobile these desert sheep can be especially when they get to chasing ewes and fighting with eachother which they are still doing down here. I watched a little ram run clear off one mountain and cross 2 miles of flats and get on another mountain for no apparent reason. I am pretty sure the big ram has done that now as well.

fa615cd4.jpg

I am pretty sure this ram would have made B&C and I kind of wanted them to tag out on it but they were still set on the toad. This was opening afternoon. This ram was fighting with three other rams(he is looking down at them right now, they are on the other side of the hill) and vigorously chasing these ewes around

fa615cff.jpg

This ram is pretty heavy but broomed way back for some reason. His short horns and tight curl do not qualify him as a contender. Too bad he doesn't have the extra 3 or 4 inches of length per side that is broomed, maybe next year he will be a good one, if he stops the brooming habit.

fa615d04.jpg

Here is a young ram with long horns but no mass, he was hanging out with the broomed ram above. He did stop on the skyline for quite awhile and provided some awesome video and a few decent stills.

fa615d01.jpg

Here is the same thin horned ram with his head turned.

I wish I could of stayed out there for another few days, it was fun watching sheep everyday, but I had to come back to work.

Bret M.

Bret,

Work sure does get in the way of having a good time, doesn't it? I know the feeling.

Thanks for posting these great pictures. Are you going to be able to make it to the California Chapter - Foundation for North American Wild Sheep banquet in Sacramento the end of February?

OOOhh yeah... nothing like seeing big rams on the hoof. Keep them pictures coming. Only 8 months until opening day.

No FNAWS for me. I should be at the Arizona Desert Sheep Society fundraiser banquet though, probably running one of the booths there..

Bret M.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom