For you snake haters....

20160426_163717.jpg
This one seems to be enjoying him self!

I have at least one under my firewood pile. Any ideas on how to make it leave and stay way? Read Pinesol or vinegar.

house hold ammonia in a squirt bottle....he WILL come out then have your wife cut him in half with a shovel....
Yea.....I sprayed one with mace. Little turd slithered so fast I was glad he headed downhill.

Priest Valley, CA about 2003.

kingsnakes are plain awesome. I get that some of you don’t want rattlesnakes and copperheads living under the crawlspace and around your kids but please show mercy to the kingsnakes, bullsnakes, rat snakes, milk snakes and other harmless and beneficial species out there.
My kid had a kingsnake on his kitchen counter a couple years ago. Kinda freaked him out.

What's the best tire for running over snakes?

I’ve always heard you can’t kill them by just running over them.

You are supposed to get your speed up and then lock your brakes up and slide over them. I don’t guess that works as well with antilock brakes.

I have run over some and I don’t know if they died but they got away before I could get another try at them.

In my State it’s illegal to kill snakes now. That could make a poacher out me pretty quick.
Good enough reason not to, I’d think. Poacher isn’t just what one is when you are caught. Either are or are not based on what you do when nobody is watching. I’d like to think most people on this forum wouldn’t want to be one.

We kill rattlesnakes on our drilling and frac pads almost daily from March-November in west Texas. Every one we kill is one less that can strike one of our employees. Never had a second thought about killing one and never will.
And probably also perfectly legal there. If it wasn’t, you or your employer would solve it in other ways like is done in other swaths of the country where killing them is a crime. I have ample experience in this here, pipelines, utilities, constructions site. What you do in your own backyard is another thing altogether and if its kept to poisonous snakes alone (rarely seems to be) I get it. Personally, I’d capture
and remove them. But not trying to get on a high horse about kids getting bit, just saying there are things that can be done there to minimize it. Even killing some doesn’t eliminate it, unless all are killed, so people still need to learn to coexist safely.

I remember as a kid going camping with my parents and one evening we were driving down a paved road and spotted a snake laying in the road. Dad slowed way down and pulled up alongside. We looked out the window at it and it was a rattlesnake. It coiled up and Dad pulled away to let it be. As he did the snake struck at the tire and we ran over its head. Dad cut off the rattles for me.

I and my kids can deal with conventional weapons.
Chemical weapons are a violation of the civilized neighborhood convention (CNC).

I hike a lot, and I have kept snakes since I was a young kid, I used to kill the rattlers, but for the past many years, I only move them off the road if they are nonaggressive, if they are aggressive, they end up dead, because I would feel pretty bad if someone who isn't aware got bit. Believe me, some snakes are more aggressive than others I had a gopher snake once that was a real pisser! he bit a few folks and would pretty much strike at you every time you tried to pick him up. and I have others that were completely docile. Most rattlesnakes won't bother you as long as you give them a bit of room to move off, but I have met quite a few that wouldn't leave even when I pushed them off with a hiking stick, they ended up as bow limb coverings! I even brought home a live rattlesnake and water moccasin when I was young, the water moccasin got away as soon as I got him home that was after smuggling him and hiding him from my parents for 2 weeks, brought him home on the train from the midwest, The rattles snake came home with his mouth taped shut with electrical snake and after I showed him off to the neighbors one of them want to try it so I skinned it and he ate it.

37F3410D-A81A-425A-80BB-6644C7188214.jpeg

The difference between my first set of photos and my photos of all these guys is that I’m not holding these guys (or messing with them
with a stick either). So we all just get to move on with our day after briefly saying hello!

93F31326-382A-47AE-84CB-3A52C7612705.jpeg

E3797F56-004B-4721-BD3E-FAADFE21DE97.jpeg

824AC6F2-AFA9-44AF-98FB-31500366E1B9.jpeg

2BB274C1-1727-4577-8EEB-B9843F6EE883.jpeg

F9C84FC5-4E61-443F-BE4F-DF3CDB2719EE.jpeg

E815BC41-DF90-491F-82CF-2EC9495EA5FB.jpeg

I was deer hunting in CA one year and one afternoon I decided to drive up to the lookout tower (I forget the name of it). It's about 6000' elevation. I killed a rattlesnake just before I got there. There was a lady with a couple of kids manning the tower and she came out onto the walkway when I pulled up. When I saw the kids, I told her to be careful because I just killed a rattlesnake around the corner.

She called me a liar and accused me of trying to scare her kids. She said there are no rattlesnakes at this elevation. Period! She was pissed. I assured her I was speaking the truth. Oh well, I'm out of there.

One of her kids later became a forest ranger, but I never told him the story about the snake.

I had a good sized rattler with no rattles in my parking barn yesterday. His tail was blunt after the coon stripes.

Another NV rattler at about the 7500’ elevation two days ago…Horniac

Seems my encounters vary from year to year.
Some years, they're everywhere around here.

I use bull snakes here for dog training it works great when I get done with them I turn them loose in the haybarn no mice, rats or other snakes stick around. Keeps my dogs safe when hunting the desert area's.

I keep snake tongs on the patio. Have killed two rattlers that tried to bit my dog. I have 1/4" wire screen along the fence bottom but they seem to find a way. I skinned them and tanned the hides and mounted them on a cedar board with upholstery nails and hung them on the wall so the dog can flip his paw at them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom