Ford F150 Diesel 3.0

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
Hey has anyone on here tested or bought the new F-150 3.0 Diesel. I am looking at a new truck as my 2010 has 240,000 miles on it and has to be replaced.
The torque is good but the horsepower is only 250 which I think would be good four wheeling but not too sure it would make an everyday driver.

if you have any input please post as I am on the fence between the 3.0 Diesel or the 5.0 V-8

Mileage is a better on the diesel but not good enough to offset the price of diesel. The warranty is for 150,000 for engine and drivetrain and the warranty for the 5.0 is 60,000

So let's hear your comments

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-18 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p]I just can't get into this whole diesel thing. I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0L gas engine in it and it does everything I want it to do! I pull a 10,000 lb toy hauler once in a while and it does an outstanding job. I've never had to put DEF in it, I've never had to change the fuel filter on it, I've never had to put additive in the fuel, I've never had to plug it in and I don't have to pay for diesel. For what it would cost to put new injectors in a diesel I could put a new engine in my truck! (Okay, maybe not quite) Anyway, I know guys love their diesels and pull more weight more often then I do, so I get that. Everyone has different needs. But for me personally, I'll never buy a diesel. With that being said, my gas mileage is about 5.5 mpg when I pull my trailer 80 mph down the freeway. BUT I don't pay for my gas so I don't care. :)
I'm not a Ford guy but the F150's are definitely a nice truck. Time will tell how guys like this 3.0L Powerstroke. Btw, just like most of the newer smaller diesels coming out, the 3.0L powerstroke requires (currently) a Ford specific 0W-30/5W-30 engine oil.

I'd give it a couple of years to get out of the ?prototype? years. If people love it in a couple of years then maybe.

Hasbean

legacy

thanks I didn't know that it required a specific oil meaning I have to get it changed at the dealer. Wow that's huge thanks for the tip.
For the record I am leaning towards the 5.0 V-8 as that is the biggest engine they make for that model now.

>legacy
>
>thanks I didn't know that it
>required a specific oil meaning
>I have to get it
>changed at the dealer. Wow
>that's huge thanks for the
>tip.
>For the record I am leaning
>towards the 5.0 V-8 as
>that is the biggest engine
>they make for that model
>now.

You?d probably get some free maintenance with the purchase anyway, but eventually you'd have to deal with it on your own. You wouldn't always have to go to the dealer to get it done, but you would have to find a shop that happens to carry that specific oil. You couldn't assume just anyone has it (I already have a case of it in my shop).

Their 5.0L is a pretty good motor and I wouldn't blame you one bit for going that route.

I would for sure go with the 5.0 or 3.5 eco-boost. The 3.5 will blow your mind in power and torque and all the kinks have been worked out in both engines.

IMO it is a bad idea to buy the first year of a new model, engine, transmission etc. I went from a Cummins diesel to the 3.5 eco-boost and have never missed the diesel and would never go back to diesel again. The maintenance and cost for repairs and maintenance for a diesel is a joke.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-18 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]"ford" specific oil????

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-18 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]The oil is not an issue. It is a common synthetic.
However I would wait as others have said and give the engine time to earn a track record.
I run an old 96 Cummins that I bought new. It pulls like crazy even with over 330k on it. With three horses/mules and a full bed I used to maintain 65mph pulling Park City grade in 5th. Pulling it gets right at 15 gph, empty about 20. I recently sold our 2008 Cummins. It never got the mileage the 96 gets. It did have more power and an additional gear. Injectors were dang near 10 times more expensive to buy.
Personally I don't want anything to do with any of the new engines that require DEF.
JMHO

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence"
"I fear none and respect all"

?Specific? as in meets the actual Ford specification. I'm not aware of any oils that meet that specific Ford spec currently other than the Motorcraft stuff. Im sure there's other FA-4 5W-30 oils out there but whether they meet the same Motorcraft spec IDK. But then again, some guys don't care that much about specific specifications. I personally would not want to put any oil into a vehicle that doesn't meet the manufacturers specification, but that just me. According Exxon Mobil, they don't have an available oil for that truck yet. Maybe there's a manufacturer that does, but I don't know who that is (It's been a few weeks since I looked). But I can promise you, you couldn't roll into any shop or quick lube place and expect them to have the correct oil right now. I inventory over 100 different oils in my shop and the only oil I carry that meets the Ford spec for the 3.0L powerstroke is the Motorcraft oil. The 5W-30 & 0W-30 oils are becoming more common amongst Diesel engines, but not all of them meet every specification. I carry Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP, 0W-30 ESP, 5W-30 ESP, HDEO 10W-30, Extreme 10W-30, Delvac 1 5W-40 ESP and none of those meet the Ford spec. for the 3.0L powerstroke (according to Exxon Mobil). At some point they may play catch up and pay the money to have their oil tested against the Ford spec. Ford MAY have an approved oil list now, but you'd have to look that up.

Remember the 6.0 diesel? I bought an 04 new and it cost me $14000 at 120000 miles. Never again. I would wait and see if the new engine is good.

I would also wait a year or two before buying a new engine. My son bought a new Ford when the 6.0 engine came out even after I told him to wait to see if it had any design bugs that need to be worked out.
In 20-30 thousand miles it broke down 3 times while he was pulling his RV trailer. All three times it was the turbo that went out. On the third time the dealership called in the "expert mechanics" from the Ford plant to examine the problem.
The dealership mechanic knew my son very well and pulled him aside and told him the problems was a design fault and the turbo was not getting sufficient lubrication. He also told my son that this time he found metal shavings in the lubrication and told my son they would fix it as best as they can and for him to get rid of the truck ASAP.
He did and bought a Ram and will not touch another Ford. Myself I like Fords and have had no problems with my F-250 Super Duty truck. It has the 7.3 diesel engine.

RELH

>Problem Solved... Get the Twin Turbo
>6 Cyl, 10 Sped Trans:
>
>
>https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/power/
>
>
>Jagerdad :)

Yeah, I don't necessarily get the push for the diesel in their F150?s when ford has been so successful with their ecoboost. Most the guys I talk to seem to be pretty happy with their ecoboost trucks, and I see a lot of them.

>I would also wait a year
>or two before buying a
>new engine. My son bought
>a new Ford when the
>6.0 engine came out even
>after I told him to
>wait to see if it
>had any design bugs that
>need to be worked out.
>
> In 20-30 thousand
>miles it broke down 3
>times while he was pulling
>his RV trailer. All three
>times it was the turbo
>that went out. On the
>third time the dealership called
>in the "expert mechanics" from
>the Ford plant to examine
>the problem.
> The dealership
>mechanic knew my son very
>well and pulled him aside
>and told him the problems
>was a design fault and
>the turbo was not getting
>sufficient lubrication. He also told
>my son that this time
>he found metal shavings in
>the lubrication and told my
>son they would fix it
>as best as they can
>and for him to get
>rid of the truck ASAP.
>
> He did
>and bought a Ram and
>will not touch another Ford.
>Myself I like Fords and
>have had no problems with
>my F-250 Super Duty truck.
>It has the 7.3 diesel
>engine.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH
>
>

+1 on the 7.3L!

Felt really bad for a guy that came into our shop yesterday. He was headed to St George (5+/- hours away) and he needed an oil change on his 2004 F250 with a 6.0L. He had JUST bought the truck. Immediately we noticed it had a new coolant/degas bottle. We couldn't tell if there was enough coolant in so we pulled the cap off and guess what? NOTHING BUT DIESEL FUEL IN THE BOTTLE! ?‍♂️ We couldn't even get the cap back in. Even a new cap would not go back on. Needless to say we advised him not to drive it to St George.

looking at past history diesel disasters (ford 6.0, 6.4, Dodge 1/2 ton diesel) I would never be the guinea pig on a new/unproven motor.

I stepped away from diesels a few years ago. Expensive toys. Definite power but a huge waste if you're not using it. I stepped over to a sierra 1500 with the 6.2 gas and I absolutely love the truck! It's leveled on 33s and 20s and im getting right at 20mpg running around 90 going from nd to utah and about 17 off hunting and playing. Pulled my 32 ft camper as fast as I wanted, ran past a rattle trap 7.3 dumping black smoke pulling a similar camper and he couldn't keep up. It's a fast fun truck to drive and when I get a new one it will be another one just a different color.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Dear .. DeerHunter53 .. When I was Young and all through my life I was aware that ANY 1/2 Ton was a Car with a truck Bed.

Engine Technology has changed. If YOU Desire a TRUCK, BUY a TRUCK.

If you are ok, as I am with a Ford Eco-Boost Twin Turbo and Hot Rod past all traffic ( I don't, simply heard about being pushed back in your Seats) then get a New F-150.

I had been a Chevy Man all my life but the CAB(s) on the Ford are Larger and dead Silent.

Twin Turbo's and 10 speed trans = Glory be-hold.

Elk can tell you about True Trucks... But he may never support Jager....

Jagerdad :)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-18 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]>I stepped away from diesels a
>few years ago. Expensive toys.
>Definite power but a huge
>waste if you're not using
>it. I stepped over to
>a sierra 1500 with the
>6.2 gas and I absolutely
>love the truck! It's leveled
>on 33s and 20s and
>im getting right at 20mpg
>running around 90 going from
>nd to utah and about
>17 off hunting and playing.

Just got back from a hunt in Idaho and we drove a stock 2017 Sierra 1500 and got 12.3 mpg pulling a normal size dual axle trailer with a Polaris razor on it.
That thing struggled climbing the small incline grade before Malad and was rapping out over 6000 rpm's.
Definitely not impressed.

Came back pulling that exact same trailer and razor in an Eco Boost and got 18mpg with no lack of power.

RELH

This apparently is not a new engine to Ford as they bought the rights to this engine when they bought Land Rover. They or Land Rover has used this engine for years.
But I will say when I drove it when I let off the pedal at 70 it would shimmy and then again at 40 MPH. I told the Dealership but they had no comment as to why this is happening. So it is an proven engine in a truck VS SUV.

Just hearing the cost to replace the injectors is enough to steer me back to the 5.0 302 which has been around for years.

Ford is telling me that after 2019 or 2020 they will no longer offer a V-8 in the half ton. I just don't like the 6 cylinder I'm a V-8 guy I just like the feel of the engine

5.3 aren't the most impressive when you hook a trailer on. The 6.2 is a whole other animal! I know a few people that bought early eco boosts and they won't buy another and I haven't paid attention to them since.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-18 AT 06:34PM (MST)[p]>RELH
>
>This apparently is not a new
>engine to Ford as they
>bought the rights to this
>engine when they bought Land
>Rover. They or Land Rover
>has used this engine for
>years.
>But I will say when I
>drove it when I let
>off the pedal at 70
>it would shimmy and then
>again at 40 MPH. I
>told the Dealership but they
>had no comment as to
>why this is happening. So
>it is an proven engine
>in a truck VS SUV.
>
>
>Just hearing the cost to replace
>the injectors is enough to
>steer me back to the
>5.0 302 which has been
>around for years.
>
>Ford is telling me that after
>2019 or 2020 they will
>no longer offer a V-8
>in the half ton. I
>just don't like the 6
>cylinder I'm a V-8 guy
>I just like the feel
>of the engine

The 5.0 ford of today is called the coyote. It was introduced in 2011 if my memory serves me. Not even similar to the old 5.0/302 ford other than displacement. The new coyote 5.0 is a beast compared to the old school 302, even so, the 3.5 ecoboost spanks it in power.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom