Forest Closure Unit 17

BigDaddyL

I went to go scout Unit 17 for a hunt this fall and found the road I wanted to go in through was blocked. Nothing like driving 3 hours and then finding your area is closed. It had a memo from the USFS stating the area was closed on July 17th and would open the 28th of August at the latest. When I looked at the map on the back of the memo, it had 3/4 of Unit 17's mountain range closed. Never even thought to check for closures.

Has anyone else who is hunting 17 ran across this? If so, I am sure the first Archery Elk hunt guys are screaming right now.

I am having trouble figuring out how to check if it is still closed or if the rangers just haven't removed the signage. Anyone have advice or know how to check for forestry closures?

Thanks and good luck this year!

Wow that sucks for sure! My son has the youth deer hunt in November so hopefully they have everything open by then.

Don
?

I have the Sept archery for deer in 17. Was planning on a trip this weekend, spoke to the forest service on friday. The only thing closed is springtime camp ground now, from what she told me. Hope this is helpful.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

My boy had an off range Oryx Hunt, and we were hunting west of the missile range the second weekend of July and saw a small forest fire up in unit 17 mountains. Thank God it rained good that night, cause we didn't see the forest fire the next day. They probably temporarily closed the forest to prevent
The same from happening again.
That's just my hunch.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom