Forkie Elk

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-16 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-16 AT 08:45?AM (MST)

Was out over the weekend and found this... Lion Kill ?
Allways tought Elk went from a spike to a 3 or 4 point. But this is a fork Elk.
Jackhttp://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/113511003020.jpg
113511003020.jpg

113511003020.jpg

So the question is should he have been a spike but had some really good genetics & feed or should he have been a raghorn and a lion did some selective culling for the herd? I'm guessing the latter.

Seen spikes with 2 brow tines,4 points with no brow tines,but never seen one like that.
Cool,call it in for receipt from G&F.$5 or so I'd say.

Just curious on how you determined it a lion kill after that much time, the skull being white and etc? Maybe a wolf?

Most of the time you can tell a Lion kill by the crushed brain stem at the base of the skull.Didn't see that on this skull. This Elk carcass was up in a pile of rocks and had been partially covered with sticks.Thats why I think Lion.
Jack

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom