Fort Hunter Liggett Elk hunt

MDWhitetail

Congratulations to all that drew this year. Just found out last night that I drew Fort Hunter Liggett archery either sex elk hunt. Has anyone hunted elk on FHL before? The hunt is in early September and I was told that it is a great hunt. Another question about elk calls, are there any good proven elk calls out there?

Congrats on the tag. You took mine.HEHE Anyway, was out there for blacktail opener and there are plenty of bulls! Even heard some bugling at first light. Stay in the areas that they will open up for the lucky tag holders. The other units can produce but don't hold as many elk in general. Spend some time before hand in the "other" units to have plans A-F ready when your season opens. Post up your success! By the way, get a few buddies to go with you as to scout and call. More eyes and ears to help you find the big 6x7 monster I saw yesterday!

slobow- I'm down in Santa Maria.....you have any luck finding any decent bucks? I chose not to bowhunt this year as i just won't have the time. I put my daughter in for the either sex junior hunt the last two years and has not drawn. Hunter Liggett is where I shot my first couple of deer on the S-20 antlerless hunt. I applaud my Dad for having the sense to hone my hunting skills on an antlerless hunt. Keep me informed on how you do up there. Thanks and good luck.

Steve

Slobow thanks a million. I have been putting in for this hunt between deployments since 2001. 1st time drawn. I will take your advice. I should have two buddies to help with the hunt. It will be hot and we will need to get that meat cooled as fast as we can. I will post pics.

MDWhitetail

MD,

You are going to have a great hunt!I had this hunt about 5 years ago and had the time of my life. Now that they have moved the anterless tag holders after the bull hunts, there should be that much less pressure for you.
I was out there this weekend archery hunting with my boy and counted 30 bulls! Some of them look to be B&C type bulls for sure. Check out where unit 25,22 and 24 all meet.
Looks like you have help already, but if you need more a local taxidermist friend of mine who is retired has had this hunt in the past would be willing to help. He has helped tag holders that last couple of years there at no charge. He just loves going. Either way, I would definatley give him a call for some advice.
I hope to be back up there again this weekend and will try to take my camera this time and get you some pictures.

Good luck with your hunt and please share photos.

MDWhitetail congrats on an awesome tag. It has been a year or so since I have been in the area. I grew up not far from the base and as long as I can remember there has been great bulls. I am not sure if the Lower Stoney area (can't remember the Unit No.) if one of the units open to elk hunters but it almost always has a great bull with a huge harem. About 3 years ago I sat and watched a big 8x9 bull with four other satellite bulls and about 15 cows baking in the heat. The success rate on FHL is either 100% or damn close to it. good luck and have fun.

JR

Thanks for the info guys!

Good luck this year with your hunts. I will try to get up there for a pig hunt "soon". I will post pic and keep you and your retired friend in mind ChokeArtist.

MD

MD,

I forgot to tell you, but my friend likes to use the Hoochie Mama cow call from Primos. That seems to work well for him the last couple of years.
For me, I never used one when I hunted. I set up a tree stand next to water and had the whole herd come in about 8am on opening day-Game over quick!

CA

CA,

There will be two Hoochie Mamas on my hunting trip. I have one and my hunting buddy has another one. Others told me that the HM works very well. 8am isn't bad. Not as hot then. I will be look for a taxidermist.

Thanks CA!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-10 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]MDWhitetail,

Check out the summer issue of Relentless 365. If you havent heard of it, its a California only hunting magazine. There is an article about that same hunt you drew. The website is Relentless365.com. Not sure where you are located but someone might be able to help you with finding a copy.

Nick (Breacher)

I just talked to my brother-in-law who is a dozer operator on all the roads there on base. Lots of good bulls this year. Horn growth was very good so take your time and pick the right one for you. Just for info, he has seen about 70 diffferent bulls so don't let the first group get to you. If your looking for a good taxidermist here close by the base, check out Central Coast Taxadermy. Chad does a great job (1 elk and 2 mule deer for me). He is also one of the main guides down on Santa Rosa Island. I would say good luck, but luck is not needed with this hunt, just patience waiting for the right one.

I don't know about Central Coast Taxi but I know Dennis Berry of Wildlife Arts in Arroyo Grande does good work. He did 3 or 4 of my Dads mounts from Africa two years ago and also did a pig he shot.

Steve

Here you go...

Wildlife Arts Taxidermy .... 540 Traffic Way, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420 Ph# 805-481-2190. Gary Oulrey - Owner, 25 years experience. Dennis Berry - 17 years experience.

Steve

No problem...I wish you luck on your hunt! MDWhitetail...with that name you should have no problem being able to stand hunt. Are you from Maryland or something?

Steve

Chad Wiebe Central Coast Taxadermy 1910 W. Hwy 46, Paso Robles, Ca 93446 (805)748-2787 e-mail [email protected] He is also an SCI official measurer. Also, if your looking for B/C measuring around here, Craig Boddington has an office here in Paso. Also, Weatherby is made here and they have a very nice display of rifles and heads in their showroom.

Oh ya almost forgot John Rigby and Co. is here in Paso also which is where Boddingtons office is

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom