Found Buck Near Camp

I finally healed enough after my hunt to go get my camp off the mountain. While at camp I found a buck bedded about 400 yards from camp so I put the moves on him with my camera. I would have had one excellent shooting opportunity at 35 yards as you can see in the second photo. It sure is fun stalking deer!!

49642010_camp_buck.jpg

38092010_camp_buck_1_c.jpg

Dude! What the heck? How do you guys get in on so meny bucks like that? Do you have really small feet or what? I just got done with my last chance I'll have to get out this year. I got one stalk. It took me 4 1/2 hours to get in. Then some little buck just had to stand up at 13 yards. I guess I'm still in school for stalking bucks. Do you give lessons? lol

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I think the key to successful stalks in trying to find deer that are by themselves. The buck I killed this season was by himself. From what I've experienced their senses appear to be easier to fool when they are alone. Trying to get in on bachelor groups is very difficult. We had luck come our way this season after we bumped some of the deer a few times and they split up.

Less ears! How long do your stalks last most of the time?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Its funny that you say that about bumping the deer Adrenilin. Sometimes after waiting several days for the bucks to move into a better stalking place or split up I will use the "bump" as a last ditch effort to get the bucks to move into a different spot for a better stalking oppurtunity. Sometimes this back fires though as the bucks will move into another canyon for several days or a week. But sometimes the next canyon can be the oppurtunity your looking for. Elkohunter and I actually talked about bumping a buck he was having trouble with who was bedding in an immpossible stalking position. He never had to do it but it was a wild card effort that he was considering.
By the way, thats a nice buck. Thanks for posting the picture. fatrooster.

As far as the stalking time, I like to wait for the late morning or early afternoon updrafts, then try to make a move. Some stalks might take an hour, others 3 or 4 depending on conditions. I've found that sometimes deer will lay down in a very stalkable spot in the morning, but many times I can see the sun is going to hit them shortly, in those instances you have to move fast. Fatrooster, I usually have my best success on week two or three after the bachelor groups have broke up a bit. Stalking single deer, when you can find them, is when I'm having fun!! The picture I posted was about a .5 hour sneak, he was in such a hole he couldn't see anything coming.

Those are the best beds to find them in!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom