Found the BIG one in S.E. Idaho

T

The Hun (Guest)

I don't want to give all the details, but I just got back from just outside Paris Idaho and seen the best herd of bucks. The food must be good from all the rain because they where huge. I patterned them for three days and I'm sure I will get one first thing monday(I dont hunt sundays). I'm going solo and need a partner, someone with a N.E. Idaho tag with some more knowledge of the area. I hope I'm not hunting on private land.

I have never heard of the N.E. Idaho tag. The F&G will confiscate your deer if you shoot a deer around Paris and show them you taged it with your NE idaho tag. LOL
As far as the private land goes you should check out the top on page 14 in the big game regulations for the trespass law and buy a map that shows which lands are public. I have found the best map for this is the USGS BLM edition 1:100 000 scale topographic map. These maps cost me $7 each but are well worth it. F&G is cracking down on trespassing so I wouldn't even think about trying it on cultivated (including CRP) or posted land.
The hills around Paris will be covered with orange on opening day on both public and private land. I won't be hunting on Sunday either. On Monday (if I can skip my classes) I will be hunting areas were the deer would have been pushed to on Sunday.
If those bucks are as big as you make them sound I'm sure many of us would love to come hunting with you.
Good luck

Sorry BrianID, my bad on the N.E. description in my text. I did mean to say S.E. Idaho. The area I saw the bucks is far off the road. Do most people road hunt? I have not had any success road hunting. Which side of the unit do you hunt?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-03 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]More people hike than road hunt in that area from what I have seen. I haven't hunted unit 78 much, I normally hunt the units north or west of there. I would expect to see hunters in every good draw on monday, I don't know of anywhere in that whole moutain range that is much more than a couple miles from the closest road.
I have spotted a few nice bucks that I believe will gross over 180" in other units so I don't even think I will hunt in that area this year.
Just out of curiosity about how big were those bucks?

Are we talking archery because it is open till Sep 30th and general any weapon is Oct 5-19 for Unit 78. Please shed some light for us mentally challenged.

I was talking about the rifle hunt opening the 5th of Oct. I just assumed that The Hun was talking about rifle hunt because it opens on a Sunday.
I have been archery hunting and haven't seen anything bigger than a few small four points but I have only had time to go a couple of mornings. I did have 3pts within bow range a couple times but I don't want my season to end so soon.

Why dont you boys leave him alone .
I can tell that a few of you dont know ##### .
There issome dang bigbucksup there IHAVEhunted
there for a few years and have taken 2 180 class bucks
you boys must be the hunters that hunt on the computer
and are to lazy to go out and spend time and money

heyhun there is a better area that the locals hunt
it is in the north east side of the unit on the wyoming
border .
If this bullshit keeps up i will tell everyone the
sweet spots of our states S.E area.

Dang DD, relax bro.....ive read through this thread and nothing has been overly harsh for you to get all bent out of shape....as a guest, you might want to try a little more manners. Well, thats just my 2 cents worth

BrianID
There are six bucks ive been watching. Two of them are over 28" main frame. The biggest has some trash on his left side and is a 6x4 that looks to be over 30". The rest arent worth mentioning. Also, thanks for the links. I think Im ok for not being on private land.

Bigbull1
Im a rifle hunter thru and thru.

DD
Sounds good. But should I change my spot so close to the hunt? Maybe next year Ill scout over there.

To the others,
Yes I know the rifle hunt starts Oct. 5th. And yes I did mean MY hunt wont start till the 6th.

Im headed up tonight to pin them down one more time. Ill let you all know how it goes.

Good Luck Hun-maybe will see you up there. I got confused per usual, thinking you were going out this monday. Hope there are two monsters up there, for both of us.

Hun,

I have been scouting that area as well and will be up there for most of the hunt. Send me a message if you would like.

Hope you get one of those nice bucks. Sounds like you have put in your time. Let us know how it goes.

later, MM

Hey, I think I know where your talking..... if it is by the radio towers you can forget it if your not hunting Sunday they will be gone. They go west in some deep draws that is surounded by private land. I can tell you don't get caught on Uncle mikes land or you will not be having any more kids to share your good hunting with. Hope you get a big one, they are few and far between anymore. It is like having a naked lady sun bathing in her back yard, once someone finds out there is more traffic than on he 4th of July.

have a good one
Spiker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom