Four Sets and Four Singles

mozey

Long Time Member
I couldn't stand it any longer, so even though the gate is still locked, yesterday I hiked seven miles towards my honeyhole. Honeyhole is about eight miles in, but I never did make it, as at about seven miles in I started finding sheds, twelve all together. Four matching sets and four singles. Didn't have a tape measure but I'm guessing that two of the sets would be in the 320 to 330 class. Stashed them all under a couple different bushes and will go back and pack them out when the gate is open and I can drive to within a couple miles.

Would like to post ATL pics but photobucket no longer lets me upload pics larger than a meg. All my pics are about 1.8 megs. Is there a software out there that you guys would recommend for reducing pics?

this is only a test for size:

4801184650ff32aa.jpg

My 17-year old daughter showed me how to do with MS Powerpoint. If you hav MS PP let me know and I'll try to talk you through it. You owe us after showing us that trailcam photo... :)

As stated above, I normally drive to within a couple miles above this area, and then hike down in. As it was, the gate is still locked, so yesterday I tried to hike in from below, thinking it would be about eight miles. I've never approached from this side before, and right at seven miles (according to my GPS), I spotted these matching 6's, bleached on the exposed side, but still brown on the underside:

48011b8c5c43d1dc.jpg

From there I hiked over the nearest ridge and started glassing the opposite slope. Through the glasses I first spotted this:

48011c68607aa73c.jpg

And then this one:

48011ca76130b1a0.jpg

While picking up the first of these two, I turned around and started glassing the slope I just came off of when I spotted this about two hundred yards away:

48011d5e63a347d1.jpg

Turned out to be a match!! I really like the character of this set, how both of the swords bend inward at the top, and how the right main beam is twisted between the sword and the fifth:

48011dc164b5af39.jpg

A pick of all five:

48011e4a6771547f.jpg

Stashed all five under some oak brush and then continued on up the mountain...

...after stashing the first five, I hiked another half mile when I spotted this:

480128f810f23a83.jpg

While walking over to that one, I looked to my right and saw this one, not twenty yards away:

48012956123bd6f4.jpg

From here, I glassed 360 degrees, and spotted this one that was behind a small mound that I'd just walked passed, about 75 yards away:

48012a1a17d5328f.jpg

Another match!

48012aa218d01f68.jpg

What's weird to me, is that last year, I found an almost identical brown set within 50 yards of where these lay, and I combed the area entire area. I don't know how I could of missed these. On the other hand, these are already bleached on the exposed side, so I'm wondering if the intensity of the NM sun is already bleaching this year's sheds, as every one that I've found out in the open is already bleached on its exposed side...

Here's pic of all three:

48012da121d036a3.jpg

Stashed all three under a deadfall ponderosa, walked 100 yards further up the hill and found the match to the single in the pic of three above. Again, bleached on the exposed side and brown underneath:

48012e9925d65ff8.jpg

Stashed this one with the other three, and decided it was time to head home as it was getting about 5:00 p.m. and I didn't want to be walking out in the dark. Found three more singles within the first quarter mile:

48012f4927b2b99c.jpg

48012f76281dbe6a.jpg

48012f9d288a9eef.jpg

Didn't achieve my goal of getting out before dark--got back to my truck at 8:45 p.m. Got snowed on a little, but it didn't stick at all. I didn't see a single elk the whole excursion, which was good. But I also didn't see or hear a single gobbler, which was the other main reason I wanted to hike in there. Feeling a little beat up today, otherwise, it's all good... :)

looks like your honey hole still has a little honey in it. great day hope my next excursion turns out that good

Gate was finally opened, so I went back in yesterday to do some turkey hunting and haul out the twelve original sheds that I found on Friday. Found two more sheds on the exact spot where I killed a turkey last year. Oddly enough, both have the G2 broken completely off, but they're not a matched set, as both are righties:

4806cb175c0a890d.jpg

Later that morning I sweet talked a turkey to 80 yards, but then he must of either saw me or got a better offer, as he just turned back into the woods. After another half hour spent in vain of trying to talk him back, the wind started to really pick up so I decided to start gathering the sheds that I'd marked way points for on Friday. Found one more walking back up the mountain after picking up the furthermost shed from Friday:

4806cc6364e6b5b5.jpg

Here's a pic of the original twelve all together:

4806cca66625d1b3.jpg

Add to that four small muley sheds, it took me until a few minutes after midnight to get all of these back to my truck. Fighting the heat, wind, and dehydration, I decided to leave my shotgun at the truck after the first load. Later, while leapfrogging the second and third load over a ridge I nearly stepped on two tom turkeys. I think they were mocking me...

Your pics are awesome!!!! Your catchin littlefoot amigo. I really miss him, hope he posts up soon.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-08 AT 07:47AM (MST)[p]Keep that place cleaned up then return each spring to haul out the new crop! No one else has discovered it yet obviously.

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

This was my third season in there. The only other person I've ever seen there is my hunting buddy when we've gone together. Last two years were very similar in production to this year, although as you can tell from the photos, it's obvious that we've missed a few each of those years.

My buddy probably has the best overall set, but here's a few of my better sets during the first two seasons (please ignore my crappy New Mexico lawn):

480be1105941a0ac.jpg

480be1305aeb863a.jpg

That is awesome! I love the fact that there are places out there that white horns are laying around. That is one of the biggest reasons I keep going, to try to find a spot like that.

wornboots:

The area in question is public land that is open to anyone that is willing to hike in there anytime of the year, but during the winter season you're not allowed to drive on the road that passes within a couple miles above. The elk had already left this wintering area.

What's your beef?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom