Fra Cristobal Desert Bighorn starts this Friday

mozey

Long Time Member
As one of you already texted me: yes, I'm having trouble sleeping.

Got my 300 WSM dialed in with 150-grain TTSX bullets at just under 3,200 FPS, point-blank to 310 yards.

Forecast is for low 90s (gotta find something to complain about). ;-)

Had 2 more "rockys" in this am....1 big ol joker , 1 DIY hunter that is happy but not a big ram...I bet your coming out of your skin....

Good luck, Mozey! Wish I was able to give you guys a hand. Remember, DON'T shoot the first one you see. Make the most of your one and only hunt.

Phil

What if the first one I see is the one you said you "would disown me" if I didn't shoot? :)

Good luck buddy!!! I hope you find that "milk nose" ram I showed you. I want to know what he scores! Also, my .02, if you find any ram you think is in the mid 160s, even if its the first one you see...CHOOT IT!! Have a blast man and keep us all posted. That is one special place to hunt.

You are the chosen one, so make sure whoever goes with you carries your water. Lots of water if it will be in the 90s. Best of luck, I sure hope you get a nice one.

Hey Moz, I'll carry as much water as you want, let you rest your rifle on my shoulder, pack out your ram, AND let you do the same for me when I draw. Just pick me dude.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Haha--got a couple of really good friends going along to help me out. I should be carrying their water...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-17 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]Have fun and Good luck mozey.

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Not a record, but a gorgeous desert ram nonetheless. I suppose it's human nature to sometimes second guess yourself, but I'll never take for granted how lucky I am to be able to do this. A huge thank you to all of you who helped me--it's been my privilege to associate with you.

21365armendarisranchhunt.jpg

Money, congratulations! Great ram and in the company of the very few! A Rocky is next on your bucket list. Post up a story when you get a chance.

Short version (I may do a long version later):

Philthy, Bigbull48, and I first saw this ram on June 30, and then my friend Jake and I saw him again on Aug 17. The first time we saw him he was with two other rams and about a dozen ewes. Philthy observed that come August those other two rams would be booted from the club. Philthy was right: the second time we saw him it was just him and his dozen ewes.
During the three days I was able to scout, I saw about 160 sheep, and to me this ram was clearly the biggest of any we had seen.

So I went after him on opening morning. Before the sun peaked over the mountain I spotted him and his harem about a mile south of where we had seen him the previous night. The wind was in our favor and we closed the distance to about 600 yards before they all fed through a saddle and dropped out of sight. We snuck across the ridge just above the saddle and spotted them just 40 yards below, but with ewes both in front and behind him, I didn't have a clear shot. They eventually spooked and ran up into a rocky/cliffy outcropping about 175 yards up the ridge. But before topping over, they all stopped to look back. That was the clear shot that I looking for and I dropped him.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom