Freezer & Generator ?

Outwest

I will be taking a 10 cubic foot chest freezer and a gas generator on an elk hunt in September.
Was thinking of putting boned out meat in game bags and plastic bags and then in the freezer and running the generator just enough to keep the meat cold without freezing it.
Anyone ever do this? How well does it work?
Would there be any problem with running a gas generator in the back of the pickup canopy with the slider windows open while driving on the way home?

Thanks John

I have used a set up like this several times,only in anopen pickup box.I run the generator most of the way from the west to Michigan .For early season hunts ,it's the best way to go.

a 2000 watt generator should do it. I do not see any problem of running it in the open window camper as long as there is no one in the camper. I would also have the back canopy lift window slightly propped open so the wind would push the fumes out the back. You should also tie the freezer and generator down to prevent them from sliding around.
There may be danger of fire if you have a collision, but not much more then if you were carry gas containers in the camper as alot of hunters do.

RELH

A couple years ago someone camped about a 1/4 mile from me with a set up like that, it was the most annoying thing in the world to listen to a generator all night.

I WAS KNOWN AS "THE GUY WITH THE FRIGERATOR" ONE YEAR ON SAN JUAN!!!

YA THEY LAUGHED AT ME!!!

BY MID AFTERNOON OPENING DAY WITH THE TEMP AT 94 DEGREES I HAD GUYS ASKING IF THERE WAS EXTRA ROOM IN THE FRIGERATOR!!!

NO I DON'T MUCH CARE FOR NOYZ!!!

BUT I SURE THE HELL AIN'T GONNA SPOIL & WASTE MEAT JUST BECAUSE SOMEBODY CAMPED TO CLOSE TO ME & NOW IS PISSED ABOUT THE GENERATOR!!!

BOUT THE ONLY TIME I'LL FIRE A GENERATOR UP!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

why not just hook up a 110 power inverter up to your trucks wiring harness and plug the frezzer into it thats what we do and it works great!!
earnhardt-3-logo.gif

Better not run it too long if the trucks not running or you'll have a dead battery. Although the truck is probably quieter than the generator. Depending on the size of the inverter you may burn it out if it's not large enough. Size it right it should work OK. But I'd keep the truck running much of the time.

My generator is a Coleman 1850.When we leave camp I fill it with gas ,start it and let it run untill it runs out of gas,right in the truck or trailor on the way home.If hot weather,I will fill and run again,if cold I just go for home.It runs arround 6 hours on a fill.Alot of the time we cut and package our meat right at camp,throw it in the freezer.Then run generator untill it freezes, usually one day.Then go for home..

If it contents are frozen before you leave for home, there might not be a reason to run the generator in the truck. Pack around the freezer well with insulation, sleeping bags and pads and something on top. Unless it takes days to get home, it should stay fairly well frozen. If it is days, then run the generator in intervals. If the freezer is kept shut and is insulated it should stay frozen.

RV'rs do this all the time. Hook up to land power the night before they leave to get the freezer up to speed then there's nothing running while they are going down the road.

Good luck.

I have done this and it works great, but now I break it down
to meat groups vac pac and freeze finish when peparing to cook
Did this last year for antelope!

Just do it, You will not be not sorry.

CATRACK

Or you could do the redneck thing and pull a propane fridge out of an old trailer and hook it up to a 20 pound propane bottle. They work great, are silent and would probably cost you less than running a generator.

I'd be careful running a generator in a truck. They put out tons of CO. If your truck cab isn't sealed well or the wind currents are just right you could end up with a nasty headache or maybe dead.

Think redneck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom