Freezing meat before processing

Cowcallin

I am starting to get into processing my own meat this year and have a question. I have 2 antelope boned out in coolers with ice right now, will it affect the meat much if I freeze and process it in a couple weeks when I get back from my Colorado deer hunt? I am still buying the rest of the equipment to process the meat so I cant get it all done this week.

I'm no expert but I would just go ahead and process them. Cut your steaks, roast, cubes, and jerky. You should then just have clean burger trimmings left, wrap and freeze them in useable portions and just grind as needed.

I process my animals and I hate it, so I'd just get it done and then go hunting with no worries. 2 animals will be easier to do than 3.
That's my .02

+1

I'd still rather it myself than take somewhere. But, sometimes it just makes sense to have a processor do it.

The general rule of thumb is "NO" you cannot refreeze meat. I did not know the true reason why refreezing was dangerous so I looked it up. Look here-
wiki.answers.com/Q/can_you_refreeze_already_thawed_meat

Wiki says "NO" because thawed meat lets bacteria multiply and freezing does not kill it.

But I went further and looked at this-
www.fsis.usda.gov which says "YES" it is ok as long as the meat is handled correctly.

Personally I would not take a chance at food poisioning and would only freeze it once. fatrooster.

I do this quite regularly do to having seasons back to back every fall... I put the meat in the freezer, and then thaw it back out after my final season, process it then freeze it again. Never had an issue with any part of it.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I've been doing it that way for over 20 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with freezing it and then processing later. When I took some meat processing classes back in college, we would freeze whole chunks and then thaw them later on in sinks filled with water. Next best thing was thawing in a refrierator. As long as you try to eliminate contamination and thaw where bacterial growth is minimized, you'll have no problems...

I prefer to only freeze whole cuts of meat once. So cut up you steaks and roasts and anything else that will remain whole. I also freeze any meat that I will eventually cut up into jerky, it is easier to slice when it is partially frozen.

As for any meat that you intend to grind into burger, or for sausage, cut it into small enough pieces for your grinder and then freeze that also until you have the time to grind it. It will pass through the grinder better if it is partially frozen.

Of course its OK to freeze it.

Nearly every steak and roast in todays mass supermarekts have been previously frozen.

No problem freezing the quarters, etc., and then thawing to finish processing later. Don't over-thaw, just let it get soft enough to handle, and it is even easier to process a semi-frozen piece of meat.
Bill

TRUE...

> www.fsis.usda.gov which says
>"YES" it is ok as
>long as the meat is
>handled correctly.

FALSE...

>Nearly every steak and roast in
>todays mass supermarekts have been
>previously frozen.

TRUE...

>No problem freezing the quarters, etc.,
>and then thawing to finish
>processing later. Don't over-thaw, just
>let it get soft enough
>to handle, and it is
>even easier to process a
>semi-frozen piece of meat.

TRUE...

>Refreezing will only dry meat out
>a little, probly not enough
>to notice.

Everytime it is thawed more juices will be lost, creating a less tasy piece of meat, but it is certainly not harmful to your health.

Bacteria control is the entire concept behind freezing and cooking foods.

Thanks for the help, I was worried most about it changing the taste or texture of the meat too much, but sounds like i should be ok.

Back in the "old days" we used to go to Idaho evey year. Sometimes in mid November the temps would drop to 6-12 degrees. Our deer had no choice but to freeze solid. We always thawed it out to process and then refreeze. No problems.

Eel

You could have cut them up, wrapped them and froze them by the time you got a few answers on this post...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I always freeze the quarters then let them thaw in the ice chest. With early season hunts, it seems to be the best way to synthesize the cooled, aging process. I have never had an issue with it and tends to be better than to immediately process.

Hunterharry's comments cover it. Is it optimum? No, but, nothing wrong at all.
Only other thought is do not defrost fast (more juices lost), if possible defrost in cooler or refrigerator, and cut and process when semi frozen. Handles better and less blood loss.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom