Freezing Meat w/ ice and rock salt

Chow_Hound

Just wondering if anyone has actually tried this. Not talking about keeping it frozen, but processing it myself and then using it to freeze the meat. Looking for a cheaper alternative to dry ice.

Thanks

If you're talking about doing it for transport while getting home after a hunt, it would be easiest just to putit in ice chests with regular ice for a couple days drive to get home. Otherwise, if you're talking about freezing it that way for transport it's not really the correct way to do it. The meat should be frozen before placing it in the containers and then using dry ice on the top to keep it frozen on the way home. Meat done that way should only take five pounds or less of dry ice for 2 to 3 days traveling, which is not that expensive compared to taking chances using the other method.

As long as the meat has hand a chance to cool all the way be hanging it normal ice will work to keep it cool as long as it can drain. Why do you want to freeze it?

The situation is that I fly out for a week of antelope hunting. I need to get it vacuum sealed and frozen to fly home. Don't like spending money on the processing and don't like the time driving back and forth to the processor. Last time I used dry ice but it cost me about $70 for the week.

I see what you mean now. I don't think you could freeze a whole animal with salt and ice but maybe. The only think I know is that if you try to put the meat in the ice chest to soon before the heat is all the way out you will burn a lot of dry ice up. Some places will charge you to freeze but you would still have to pay. Good luck, if you have luck with the rock salt report back!

In the big scheme of what you're talking about $70.00 is chump change.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Just process it and pack it like you always do, but just keep it on regular ice in a cooler or two. It will keep for a long time like that and will be real cheap compared to dry ice. When you're ready to fly home, either dump the ice out before you check in at the airport or just make sure it is drained out properly so there is no leakage. I don't fly, but take a lot of meat home on the road and many time I'll have it on ice for at least ten days with no problems.

You save a bunch of dollars just staying home:) Bottom line is going on a hunt out of state is no cheap. Lots of incidental costs that you have to just suck it up. I hate to think what a pound of elk or deer cost me in the log run.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom