? front opened for rifles??

heartshot

Very Active Member
Hunt area 17A (Wasatch Mtns, West) includes the front above Salt Lake. It has an general any weapon season. Did they really open up the archery only area for rifles now? Am I missing something, perhaps some county shooting rules?

you know my buddies & I were wondering the same thing

"MUTTMAN"
no guts, no story!

I doubt anything has changed. That area has always been part of the general unit for deer and elk. About 15-20 years ago they closed SL County south of I-80 and east of I-15 to rifle and muzz hunters. There is a blurb in the proc each year stating this. I don't know if I'd dare hunt there anyway with so many vague and conflicting firearm restrictions in SL county.

I imagine it is still restricted to archery only. I just couldn't see the typical blurb anywhere in the application guide book. I looked in last years application guidebook and could not find it, but it was in the field regulation book. I imagine it will be there again when this years field regulations come out.

With the archery only area covering about 25% of that unit. I think it would have been a good idea to have that blurb in the application guide book so people could see it before they put in.

A call to the DWR might clear this up (maybe). If you go back and look in the 2011 antlerless hunts there was a cow elk hunt in the archery only portion of the WF that allowed the use of rifles. If I remember right the only restriction for those who had the cow tags was they could not be within 600 ft of a house or road etc. It should be interesting how this plays out as i think it could be legal if the DWR doesnot post it in the proc.

Point taken Mr. Tree. The county used to have some pretty vague/restrictive ordinances on the books but it looks like they have been repealed. For example, you had to be in a designated area to discharge a firearm (designated by proclamation AND signs). And you had to be 1 mile from homes or buildings. I'm glad they got rid of these because it basically restricted you to shooting ranges and hunting clubs.

You can still rifle hunt moose, goats, cougars, etc up there and hunt upland game with a shotgun. The part north of I-80 is open to rifle hunting deer and elk, just be careful around Emigration Canyon. I believe there are restrictions in that area.

It's still a 1 mile county ordinance.

""10.64.020 Rifles, shotguns and handguns--Defined--Discharge restrictions.
A. It is unlawful for any person, including hunters, to discharge any kind of rifle or handgun within one mile of any residential area, or where buildings are located or people reside, or in an area not designed by the council, or to discharge any rifle or handgun upon, over or across any road, lane or highway, or in the direction of any buildings, whether commercial, industrial or residential, within the county. Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. This chapter shall not prevent the discharge of any firearms by any peace officer in the performance of his duty.
B. It is also unlawful to fire any shotgun or pellet gun in the proximity of any person, building or residence where the discharge thereof shall possibly or even remotely endanger any person, regardless of the distance, or to fire any such gun from or across any road or highway.
C. As used herein:
1. "Handgun" means any gun that is ordinarily used or is designed to be used with one hand, and that ejects a pellet or bullet of such size and/or force as to be potentially dangerous to a person or animal.
2. Rifle and Shotgun. "Rifle" means a firearm that is grooved internally with special channels, in contrast to a "shotgun," which is a smoothbore gun designed for firing shot at short range.

http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org

That's the law I was referring to, but if you look up the actual code you'll find that chapter 10.64 is gone. It was repealed in 2010 (ordinance #1661).

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom