Frustration!!! Help please...

SWINGBOW

I've been out 4 times with my son since he got his new .17 for Christmas (no Santa didn't bring it Dad did) We are doing 3 or 4 sets each trip. He is shooting so good I feel sorry for the first thing, dog or cat, that comes in. However I can't get anything going. I'm using hand calls and it seems to me that our sets are good. In October and November we called coyotes in like crazy using the same calls and even less camo. Could it be the time of year? Seems like other guys are stacking 'em up right now. Do any of you seasoned varmint callers have any secrets you'd be willing to pass on? Maybe we should try a decoy? I'm not sure if I want to switch to an electronic caller. Something about using the old hand calls that just makes me smile when it all comes together. It's still awesome to spend time with my son, I keep telling him the harder we work, the sweeter success will taste.
Thanks in advance, J

I use a caller and handcalls I mix them up it seems to work for me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

SWINGBOW....Been a strange year for me and can't figure out what is going on with the Song dogs... I would suggest maybe switching it up (electronic caller) as well...and a whirling woodpecker decoy to sweeten the deal... Good luck to you!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

It's been a good year up this way but my shooting has been laughable...

This time of year things really slow down. Coyotes have mating on the brain for one and all the pups have either been shot or shot at and therefore a little call shy from my experience. We called in a pup from this year last Thursday and she showed up after 15 minutes and was sneaking in like an old sneaky coyote. I usually incorporated more coyote sounds this time of year and sit for 20 minutes or more on a stand.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff
http://www.workmanpredatorcalls.com

Yeah I feel your pain. Went out a couple weeks ago and got 3. I have been out 3 days in the last 2 weeks doing 15-20 stands per day and a big fat 0. It is really tuff this time of year. Like the others said the longer you get into the season the more educated they are and the less dumb ones there is. You just have to keep going and trying new things. Its going to happen sooner or later.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-11 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]Where are you located?
Your sets may be good looking but you gotta think that maybe other callers are hitting the same general area.

Try some yips and pup distress as well as howls and try waiting longer between calls. Sit and watch longer. M

Maybe hold off on any rabbit sounds for awhile and try some other sounds.

www.snph.proboards.com

I'm in Southern California near San Diego. Most of the spots I'm going to are private property and I'm pretty sure they aren't being hunted at all. It is just weird because when I'm out deer hunting and decide to blow a call, not even taking it seriously at all. The dogs come charging in like crazy. I like the idea of different sounds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom