Ft Bayard youth hunt

cbat

My son drew the Ft Bayard youth hunt and we have not been able to get over there scout due to school and other stuff. Any intel would be appreciated. Camping or places stay in town.

My daughter has the same hunt. I am hoping it is a fun hunt. I had a buddy that had one of the Oct. youth hunts a few years back and had a blast! Do you know if we can camp on the Fort?

Congrats on youth hunt draw, I have never been on this hunt myself, but I would imagine this a good hunt as there is usually quite a few animals there, is this deer or elk? There is a KOA campground fairly close to Ft Bayard, the phone # is 575-388-3351 I believe and there is some motels in Silver City also, holiday inn express, econo lodge, super 8 etc....

Good Luck on the hunt-

My daughter drew that one as well. The good thing is that the entire unit can be hunted, not just Bayard. I have a suspicion that Bayard will be very crowded.

The hunt is a good one for the kids. There are a lot of deer in Fort Bayard I wouldn't leave to hunt the rest of the unit. My little cousins have gone on a few hunts there and have taken some really nice bucks out of there. You can stay in Silver City since its only about 10 minutes or so from there. Like was said before there are a few hotels there. The weather has cooled down so the deer should be moving around. The rest of the unit is a lot harder to hunt and deer are harder to find. You all should do just fine in the Fort Bayard area. Good luck to all the youth hunters and enjoy your time in the field with them! Don't forget to post pictures of the hunt.

How is the hunt going for everyone else? I was able to get down there with my daughter for 1 full day of hunting (she got sick and we had to come home early). We had a GREAT day! We were hoping to find some mule deer, but only saw two mule deer does. We hiked into some great looking whitetail country on the north end of the fort and found a few whitetail bucks. One was a whopper! By the time we got in close for a shot, the buck was in a thick tangle of dead limbs and my daughter just couldn't find him in the scope. When she finally found him, all she could see was his neck and head. We were about 200 yards from him and he just wouldn't move. After about 20 minutes, he disappeared. It was fun watching him. Our little hike turned into about 5 miles and my daughter was beat at the end of the day. Can't wait to get back on the last weekend of the hunt. I am hoping that we will see some mule deer. How did everyone else do? Did you see any mule deer bucks? Any signs of rutting activity? There sure were a lot of people at the parking areas, but we didn't see anyone after hiking about a mile in. I hope there was some youth success! Any picts?

We haven,t made it yet. Seems like with kids nowadays there is always something going on with school and sports. I hope we make the last weekend.

We were up there. You might have seen my black Nissan pick-up parked along the the road. No luck and few deer. We spoke with the game warden and he was only aware of one deer being killed on Bayard and that the numbers were way down.

Did see a bunch of elk though.

Sounds like what we were seeing for mule deer. We are in a white F-150 with camper shell... Do you think things will improve much by the end of the hunt? Did anyone spend anytime off the fort in other areas of 24?

It is starting to snow nicely out there so you guys might be in for a great hunt...
Jason

Sweet... hopefully some big ol muleys will push on in to the fort... heading down next Friday again..... let it snow, let it snow.....

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-11 AT 06:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-11 AT 05:21?PM (MST)

Huntscout,

I'll be there next weekend with my daughter as well. Maybe the girls will get it done!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom