Fun trophy antelope

canyoncrosser

My friends and I have four or five points each and want to kill some nice goats.

We know the top Garth units etc, but we don't know the state real well. Is there a unit with a niceish town nearby, fun bar, nice hotel and decent food? We would like a fun hunt not just the top units in the dessert...

Good units around Rock Springs. Plenty of Motels and places to eat. Know some people that hunted around there this year. Lope numbers were down from when we went two years ago. Still good bucks around just might take a little longer to find them.

You can do what the OP is asking for without 4 or 5 PPs! It sounds like the group plans on trolling, rather thsn hunting, LOL!

We want to do both! I know the units around Rock Springs are good, but I don't want to hunt outa there. I would hunt near Farson, but I would'nt know where to stay.
We want a good hunt, but yea, a little fun would be nice too.

I would go with Lander myself for what you are looking for, at least that is what I am planning on doing in the same exact situation. Tjhere are definitely a few other options.

PM with any questions.

Farson is not a good option given what you are looking for. It is a tiny town with only one little hotel, one cafe, and the mercantile store which does have good ice cream, but I think you are looking for a different kind of "sweet" based on your description. :)

I'd not squander a hunt/tag/points over a fun bar...ever.

You can go to bars the other 360 days you arent hunting pronghorn.

Better hunting/quality animals trumps comforts every time.

Hope you have a good time at the bar.

I'm pretty sure I can have a few pops in the evening and still manage to hunt antelope Buzz. As I stated, I can read a mag and get an idea of where good goats live. But to me a hunt with friends is more fun when its a total experience.

Not saying we want to go clubing, just would like to make the hunt as scenic as possible. I was hoping we had the points to hunt the best animals in an area that would be interesting as well. Just didn't know if any of the areas align with that criteria.

I should have said "clubbing and Wyoming" seem like polar opposites. Nothing wrong with beers and eats, or hot women for that matter.

Hey Buzz,
how come every time you come on here you're bustin' someones chops? You have good insight and experience so why not either keep quiet or answer the guys questions. I know he'd appreciate your help. Nowhere does it say you can't combine a good time / fun bar with a hunt - especially an Antelope hunt. different people enjoy different things. Sounds to me like CC's got a pretty good plan. Happy Thanksgiving ! Chip

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]Hey Chipc,

Did you read the title of the post...fun TROPHY antelope.

Is the dude serious? He wants a trophy antelope standing around by a nice motel with a fun bar...in Wyoming?

I'd be interested to see what advice you give him...like maybe staying in Vegas at Caesars Palace, have some drinks at the Spearmint Rhino, and then commute to the Red Desert for that trophy pronghorn buck each day.

Nice motels, fun bars, and trophy quality pronghorn arent exactly used in the same sentence much here.

I'd reckon that finding any one of the three is a real challenge in Wyoming...with a top quality pronghorn being the easiest.

BTW, I gave him better advice than most here...forget the comforts/bars, use your points for the best area possible, and you'll likely have a good hunt and find a trophy pronghorn.

Or he could take the others advice and burn his points on an area that likely requires zero points with very average pronghorn. But at least he's comfy at the Best Western in Casper and hanging out with oil field trash at the local gin mill.

Let the good times roll...

Lander or Casper might work but you may be wasting some points in the units close to there. You'll still have a good hunt.
Buzz has been a great help to me. I brought home a high 70's antelope on a leftover tag and a nice elk this year in areas I'd never set foot in before following his advice.

Buzz, let me rephrase for you. Is there a unit that is not as ugly as red desert and near trashy Rock Springs where somebody might find decent accomodations and decent antelope as well?

I live 1400 miles away and don't know many towns in Wyo, or what towns are in the good units.

Also you do seem to be kind of a #####. Its an antelope hunt!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 09:30PM (MST)[p]CC,

You said,"Is there a unit that is not as ugly as red desert"

Wow, just friggin' WOW!

You seem pretty judgemental about an area you live 1400 miles from.

IMG_5043.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

Take the advice of others...try around Casper or Cheyenne.

Good luck to you.

No red desert here either, but there isn't any club's and plush motels either.

53052012_wyoming_hunting_035.jpg

Didn't they random drug test the Wal Mart empolyees in Rock Springs and have to send home like 2/3's of them cause they tested positive for crank?

Just not the place I want to spend my hunting vacation. I want to go somewhere interesting I've never been and enjoy myself.

Don't worry, I'll figure it out.

I'd like to know where you got that info.So basically what you're saying is that half or 2/3 of Rock Springs is on drugs?
Glad you don't wanna come here-we don't want self-righteous pricks like you anyway.We do pretty good in spite of the fact that half the people here are in a drug-induced stupor.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people will believe anything they hear.

I highly recommend Farson for your hunt.Great motel,restaraunt,and watering hole.And it's far enough from Rock Springs that you shouldn't get rolled.And the women??Oh Son!!!!

You might also look up around Buffalo. It's a big enough town to have some 'fun' in, and there are plenty of private land opportunities with good antelope hunting for reasonable trespass fees.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12
>AT 09:30?PM (MST)

>
>CC,
>
>You said,"Is there a unit that
>is not as ugly as
>red desert
"
>
>Wow, just friggin' WOW!
>
>You seem pretty judgemental about an
>area you live 1400 miles
>from.
>
>
IMG_5043.JPG

>
>
IMG_5042.JPG

>
>Take the advice of others...try around
>Casper or Cheyenne.
>
>Good luck to you.

I know right where these two pics were taken!!!!

100% Nontypical. Canyoncrosser why don't you just stay in your part of the world? No one here will miss you one bit.

Try Jackson Hole.

Jeez, I'm sorry! I'm not saying 2/3 of Rock Springs is on Crank. Just 2/3 of the Wal Mart employees.

I promise I won't come near Rock Srpings.

I'd vote for Casper. Good hunting in the area, nice hotels and some decent restaurants. I don't do the drinking thing, but there seem to be plenty of bars as well.

Hey Crossdresser

I agree with the other guys on here and stay clear of us in Rock Springs. You can stay 1400 miles away from Wyo and not break our hearts. Stay in the Castro District in SF and go clubbing all you and your friends want.

Good luck

I would steer clear of the Red Desert CC. Nothing there for you. It's remote, chuck full of wild country and few towns with the accomodations you seek. In fact, with that in mind, I would stear clear of the horrible state of Wyoming if I was you! You've wasted your time and money . . .

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12
>AT 09:03?PM (MST)

>
>Hey Chipc,
>
>Did you read the title of
>the post...fun TROPHY antelope.
>
>Is the dude serious? He wants
>a trophy antelope standing around
>by a nice motel with
>a fun bar...in Wyoming?
>
>I'd be interested to see what
>advice you give him...like maybe
>staying in Vegas at Caesars
>Palace, have some drinks at
>the Spearmint Rhino, and then
>commute to the Red Desert
>for that trophy pronghorn buck
>each day.
>
>Nice motels, fun bars, and trophy
>quality pronghorn arent exactly used
>in the same sentence much
>here.
>
>I'd reckon that finding any one
>of the three is a
>real challenge in Wyoming...with a
>top quality pronghorn being the
>easiest.
>
>BTW, I gave him better advice
>than most here...forget the comforts/bars,
>use your points for the
>best area possible, and you'll
>likely have a good hunt
>and find a trophy pronghorn.
>
>
>Or he could take the others
>advice and burn his points
>on an area that likely
>requires zero points with very
>average pronghorn. But at least
>he's comfy at the Best
>Western in Casper and hanging
>out with oil field trash
>at the local gin mill.
>
>
>Let the good times roll...

When you guys settle in on this spot let me know. I want to hunt there to.

i would say Lander, a bit of a drive to some units but worth it for the criteria you noted....neat town and area...

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

If you are looking for hot women folk in Wyoming near good antelope country.....sounds like you are the one on crank already!

1977 was my first trip to Wyoming to hunt Bucks. We didn't draw our first choices so me and my Pard were satisfied to hunt the Eastern part of the state for Whitetails. We got back there early and rented their basement apartment of a nice older couple for 3 weeks at reasonable price, right next to the action of Downtown Sundance.

We hunted hard and later on at night, we played hard too. Met a great many other outa state guys, had fun dancing with the plenty of pretty gals, sounds just like the sort of thing you're looking for. That was 1977 though and as good as that time was, i've felt no real compulsion to go back.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

You nailed it NM! Thanks, that really was funny! I have to admit, if that place existed I would go there.

But seriously, I just wanted like a Best Western, a beer and a ribeye. I had no idea it was sooo hard.

I would agree with Lander area. Lander is a neat town. Try "Lander Bar" for about the best burgers you can find, and a cold beer. 106 and 68 are not too far of a drive, but you will spend some gas money going back and forth every night. Could be a fun trip.

>My friends and I have four
>or five points each and
>want to kill some nice
>goats.
>
>We know the top Garth units
>etc, but we don't know
>the state real well.
>Is there a unit with
>a niceish town nearby, fun
>bar, nice hotel and decent
>food? We would like
>a fun hunt not just
>the top units in the
>dessert...

I recommend putting in for the best units you can draw, then take the fun to the unit. What you do is get together with your buds and rent a motorhome and pack it with all the necessities before you hit the road. Then on your way through Nevada pick up a prostitute (two if you can afford it) and you're all set. If you get one that can cook something besides meth, drop me a pm with her number, those are hard to come by.

Thats sound advice Buck. But this will be a true DIY hunt. IMHO a prostitute is similar to a "canned" hunt. It's a sure thing, not a hunt. No Fences here...

I wouldn't rule out Rock Springs. I spent 6 nights there a couple years ago. Great food and clean motel. Some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Eel

I go to, or through, Rock Springs probably 6-10 times per year. I was just there on Friday and again on Monday and there are no flies on that place. I'd stay there, hunt there, mingle there any old time! (but I've never been to one or their bars)

Besides, the last thing I worry about on any trophy hunt are the accommodations! When I go hunting, I GO TO HUNT but I certainly understand that we're all looking for different experiences.

Good luck. You'll find whatever you look hard enough for.

Zeke

canyoncrosser,

What you are looking for is not as impossible as they are trying to make it seem. Pinedale and Saratoga both meet your criteria nicely. Both have decent lodging with multiple options. Both have okay restaurants. Both have fun bars. Saratoga even has a free hot springs. Most importantly both have thousands of antelope in close proximity and even trophies if you hunt hard. The tags shouldn't take a whole lot of points to draw either. I have experience with both areas. Always had a good time. Other places may fit the bill also. I don't know anything about the town of Lander but I've seen some big antelope brought back from there. I don't know about the antelope around Thermopolis but I've stayed there during September and had a good time in town.

I've always looked at antelope as a fun hunt without as much difficulty or pressure. I do a lot of all out trophy hunting for other species. My antelope hunts are a different deal. Not every hunt has to be totally focused on getting the biggest and the best. You might be able to go several times and bag some very respectable antelope while all the naysayers are still waiting for one or two chances to hunt the high profile areas.

Read my mind Cow, and those are the locations I was begining to focus in on. However, this morning I was dealt a shocking blow.

My best friend of 30 years (since we were 5) passed away unexpectedly this morning.

I appreciate all the help, and I enjoyed to jabs just as much. We were really getting a kick out of this thread..

CC

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. My best friend of 30+ years passed away in August. The passing of time helps but that's a loss you can't really ever replace.

Canyoncrosser, Really sad, my condolences!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Really rotten deal for sure. Fever over last weekend, went to the hospital Tues night and passed Fri morning. All of us including the docs are still shaking our heads.

On a sort of sick sidenote, would his preference points be transferable to a family member or friend?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom