Funding for school Archery & Hunting programs blocked by feds

Cali4x4

https://lailluminator.com/2023/08/19/hunter-education/

1694059004815.png

A group of 19 Republican U.S. senators, including Louisiana’s John Kennedy, have complained to the Biden administration over its move to withhold money from public school archery and hunter education programs.

Last month, the U.S. Department of Education revealed the funding would be held back as dedicated under the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act of 2022, legislation the president touted as containing the most significant gun safety reforms in decades. The law broadened the definition of licensed gun dealers to require more of them undergo background checks, and it expanded access to mental health services and violence intervention programs.

Another part of the act amended the Elementary and Secondary Act (ESEA) of 1965 to prohibit federal funds from going toward “training in the use of a dangerous weapon.”

The letter (read below) Kennedy and other senators sent Aug. 11 to President Joe Biden said cutting off money from hunter education programs will have a detrimental effect on safety. More than 500,000 students participate and are certified through hunter education courses annually, the senators said. Such training has decreased hunting-related accidents 50% since the program was started 50 years ago, their letter stated.

In Louisiana, archery is a competitive sport at the middle and high school level. Ed Pratt, spokesperson for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, said 113,921 students in the state have participated in archery classes over the past seven years, including about 19,000 last school year.

Louisiana’s hunter education courses have trained 74,707 fourth-grade through high school students since 2016, he added.

State officials are aware of the federal funding loss, and the matter will be presented Sept. 7 at the next Wildlife and Fisheries Commission meeting, Pratt said.

The Biden administration is aware of the concerns from Republican senators, some of whom supported the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act.

An official told the Florida Phoenix the U.S. Department of Education recognizes the current language in the bill “limits” specific “enrichment opportunities with ESEA funding.”

“We are happy to provide technical assistance on legislative language to address this issue and restore allowability of ESEA funding for valuable enrichment opportunities for students, such as archery and hunter safety programs,” the official said.

My local high school teaches decoy carving, lure construction and fly tying, even hunter safety. It is a community priority and funded locally. And it is not an expensive program so I imagine that other communities can make it happen if that is their goal.

I agree with bullskins notion. If youre looking to teach your kids hunting and all that goes with it, the federal government aint your answer.

Like almost everything else, the solution is on a personal level.

Our schools do hunter safety, taxidermy and even in the middle school they have the braggin board. post a picture of your fishing trip or harvest and can win prizes from decoys to binos.

Our schools do hunter safety, taxidermy and even in the middle school they have the braggin board. post a picture of your fishing trip or harvest and can win prizes from decoys to binos.
Remember when you could bring your rifle to school and build a stock in wood shop? That ended about 25 years ago in my town.

Remember when you could bring your rifle to school and build a stock in wood shop? That ended about 25 years ago in my town.

We were allowed to build longbows in wood shop. That was 17 years ago when i was last in woodshop class

Several of my local high schools sponsor a trap shooting team for the high school kids. I have been donating a knife to my local high school to raffle off to get funds for the trap team. Two of my grandchildren were team members when they attended the local high school.
It is a very good program to teach kids safe gun handling and being able to complete in a shooting sport. Most of the instructors are retired law enforcement officers.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom