Funniest/Wierdest Thing You"ve seen out Hunting

LuckyShot

Two years ago I was hunting WAAAAAAY up in the cliffs and rocks of the Wasatch range. We were on a VERY steep and rugged ridgeline about ten feet from the top. The Cliff went straight down about 600 yards below us. There, lodged in the rocks along the ridgeline was a single snow-ski. I had to laugh, wondering at the poor guy who had either snow-shoed in four-miles or was heli-copted in and dropped off....only to make his big run and lose his ski 10 feet from the top...and tumble down....down....down....down to the bottom! I still laugh every time I think of that one ski all by itself up ther in no-mans land. Any amusing sites/pics/stories share 'em!!!

I found an unexploded mortar round while coyote hunting. According to the National Gaurd it had been sitting there since 1963. They piled C4 on it and blew it up. In retrospect, I should've taken it home. It's amazing how many uses there are for a mortar round.

When I lived in Oregon I was stump shooting in the off season in a clearcut I liked to hunt. I had just shot an arrow into a stump and was heading over to retrieve it when I spotted a Blacktail Doe walking left to right on a trail at the edge of the treeline about 80 yards away. I stopped and watched her go behind a row of brush. 30 seconds later I saw movement coming out the right hand side of the brush and was totally surprised when out stepped a Roosevelt Cow Elk. I watched the Cow walk the tree line and disappear into the woods at the bottom of the clearcut,the Doe never reappeared.

I retrieved my arrow and went to see if I could figure out how this bush was able to turn deer into Elk. When I got there and stepped behind the brush there was a trail leading straight back into the woods with a fork about 30 yards in. The Doe had taken the path and walked down the right fork while the Cow came in seconds later on the left fork.

I had a lot of great hunts and experiences in that area in the following years but always chuckled when I saw the magic bush .... Terry

For over a hundred years, there were several mining roads that went WAY back up into the local mountains. The Govt. turned the area back into wilderness and shut off access to the areas, in most cases.

There were a couple of roads left, on the boundary, but nature was taking them back, to the point that traveling on them meant that you traveled with 2 4x4's so that when one got stuck......you had support.

Anyway, one Saturday, we load up about 6 people, in 2 trucks and head out for a day of arrowhead hunting, exploring mines and ultimately checking out an old hot spring on top of the ridge.

We make the 4 hour trip, loafing our way up, with some serious 4x4 action.

We arrive at the hot springs, only to find a half dozen "nature fakers", naked, hairy and stoned, had been camped there for days. Remnants from the Manson Clan, we supposed.

They had arrived in a 1970 Oldsmobile Delta 98, "Jew Canoe".

We laughed our azzes off, and to this day, I have not figured out their route in.

I have since flown over the area and can find NO road in, other than the one we used.

They had to come in from the Death Valley side, which must be like, 35 miles of dirt roads, and cross country, directly thru the new wilderness area.

A few years ago I was fishing a creek in North Idaho in August. I came into a meadow and jumped a nice buck from its bed. He took a few steps and stopped and looked at me. My wife was in camp a ways away, and I started talking to the deer "come on, my wife would like to see you, its ok lets go" things like that. I started walking towards camp, and that deer started following! He hit my scent trail and snorted and jumped but still didnt run. I told him again it was ok, lets go, and he started to follow me on the same trail I was on. He always stayed about 10 yards behind me, he stopped when I did and started up when I did. When I reached the gravel road he stepped right out and followed me down the road. Whenever a car would come he would jump in the bushes, and would come back out on the road and continue to follow me after the car left. He did that about 4 times and followed me the mile or so back to camp, where he hung around for about 10 minutes so my wife could see him. Then he walked off and we never saw him again. Who says deer dont have a sixth sense?

I had a similar experience to that of ID. I was out turkey scouting the evening before the turkey opener. I had forgotten my shock call so I yelped occasionally to try and locate some birds. I worked my way into an area that I thought may hold some birds and softly called. Immediately, I had three Toms gobble about 100 yards away. Content with locating the birds, I began slowly moving out of the area, but before I could move much I saw a hen heading my way. Not wanting to spook her I sat down against a large ponderosa pine. She came in fairly quickly, but then started feeding and purring closer and closer. At one point she was two feet from me and had no clue or did not care that I was there. As it started to get dark I decided that I would probably have to bump her get out of there. So I made some movement when she was about five feet away thinking she would run off. Nope, she just kept scratching and feeding. Thinking that was odd, I stood - she still didn't react. I then started to walk towards the truck and she just looked at me. I had walked about fifty yards and I looked back - she was following me. I continued walking and she continued to follow. At one point I stopped and she walked up to within a couple feet of me and stood blinking and looking around. That bird followed my for nearly a mile until I dropped off a hill to check out some roost trees. The only thing I can think is that she was a lonely, first year hen that had never seen a man before, but with other turkeys in the area why she came and stayed with me is puzzling - who knows, but perhaps it was because she had found the biggest turkey in the woods!

I had the same experiance with a young fox while bowhunting in Montana. I saw what I thought was a coyote dart through the sage in front of me so I knocked an arrow, then I heard a noise behind me and when I turned around I had a fox looking at me with his head turned to the side (looking bewildered as to what the heck I might be) I put my arrow away and started talking to him and he walked right up to me.
After a while I headed back to camp and the fox trailed along approx ten yards behind me for at least a half mile! at one point I started thinking he may be starving to the point that he would risk getting close so I unwrapped a candybar and tossed it on the ground....he promptly pissed on it and stood there looking at me.
as I approached my wall tent he apperently decided he had pushed his luck far enough and was on his way.
A great memory for me....
Made me wonder how many animals I have stalked and killed that would not have had any fear of me what so ever.

In Oregon we have a prison camp that takes care of wounded deer and orphaned fawns. These tame deer stay around the camp but sometimes they go down the road a half mile or so feeding. I had a friend with me that didn't know about the tame deer. We drove by the camp and around a corner and there was a forked horn and a doe feeding on the side of the road. I stopped the rig about 100 yards from the deer and told my friend, I bet I can feed those deer out of my hand. He looked at me like ya right. I got out of the rig and grabbed a handful grass and walked towards the deer. They saw me and came right up to me and ate the grass out of my hand. You should of seen my friends face when i jumped back in the rig and told him I have a way with wildlife. After a few hours of my friend thinking I was grizzly adams I told him the truth and I almost drove off the road laughing.

Just before I got married I took my bride to be on a hike to drop off supplies for my archery camp. It was a long and hot climb to camp where we cached the supplies. When we returned to the edge of the wilderness area and where the truck was parked I convinced my gal to skinny dip with me in the creek to cool off and clean up before the drive home. I told her there was never anyone down here. Anyway after sitting in a nice deep pool She decided to walk back to the truck, which was about 25 yards away, for a towel naked. She ran into three very old flyfishermen and made their day.

Bean

Nascar88, you should've bet your friend money.

One day I was driving my four wheeler around and seen 3 pronghorn bucks standing about 10 yards off the road. I got off my four wheeler and acted like I knocked and arrow and acted like I drew a bow. All three of them just stood there and looked at me. One of them was a nice buck. I wish I would've had a tag it would've been easy to kill one of them and just put it on the four wheeler.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-09 AT 10:48AM (MST)[p]Back when I was trying to get my wife involved in archery hunting, we had seen a couple of bucks on a ridge where I knew a road went back behind where they were. I took her down and dropped her off at the end of the road and told her to hide and I'd go back and push the ridge to her and maybe the bucks would give her a shot. As I got back to the intersection of the main road, a pickup with a couple of old boys who had been hitting the cool ones fairly hard were turning down the road. I drove down and pushed the ridge and just after I started I heard some yelling down in the direction of where I had left my wife. I quickly went back and got in my truck and headed back to get the wife. I met the old boys right at the intersection again, only this time they were waving me down and seemed pretty upset or excited. I stopped to see what was the matter and they started telling me to be careful down there. I asked what the problem was and the driver, who seemed by far the drunkest, told me that there were women in the woods hiding in camoflauge waiting to jump you. I said "ok" and they took off in a panic. Still not clear as to what they were talking about, I hurried on down and picked up the wife. I asked her what had happened, and she said the two old guys pulled right up in front of where she was hiding, got out, stumbled over to her side of the road, and began releiving themselves right in front of her. She says she didn't dare move. Finally one of them spotted her and started hollering to his friend that there was a woman hiding in the trees. She says they both spun towards each other watering each other down, and took off to the truck. My wife says she was pretty embarrassed but got a good chuckle out of them.
She said she didn't know if she liked archery hunting after that...

LAST EDITED ON May-29-09 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-29-09 AT 12:28?PM (MST)

Some may buy this story some may not. It happened last year in Colo. In Sept on an Archery deer hunt. I had climbed a knoll to glass a burn in the late afternoon. It so happened that I was glassing accross a highway that was fairly quiet, with most cars being tourists. After a bit, a car pulled off the shoulder of the highway,parked, and two chicks get out. Through my 30X mega glasses I notice that one is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol and the other is fair at best. They walk down 20 yards off the road by a little creek and start to make out. I am sitting about 200 yards above them in full camo under a tree in the shade. I seriously can't believe what is fixing to take place before my eyes. I smiled as I focused my glasses perfectly and noted that I had plenty of daylight left to enjoy my good fortune. Gentlemen, what took place in front of me on that lonely Colorado highway can't be described on this forum. But let me tell you, we all needed a cigarette by the time they loaded up and left, and I don't even smoke.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-09 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]Carlos they were Fur Traders running a trot line and had to stop and check the "Tender Trap". I bet it was pretty good viewing!!

EE: Funniest/Wierdest Thing You"ve seen out Hunting

My cousin and I had a similar experience. We were both 14 years old standing on his back deck looking through a spotting scope in cedar hills glassing the mountain to the east. We saw a 4 wheeler driving slow and pulled into a little patch of oak brush that they could not be seen from the highway. but with a little elevation these 2 14 year olds could see great! Well the couple on the 4 wheeler made our day, well whole year. What more could you ask for being 14 and seeing that. Looking back she was not the best looking but at the time we didn't care.

That reminds me of when I was on my LE archery elk hunt. I was sitting in my tree stand over a small water hole, near the end of an old road. The road was between me and the water hole. It was accessible by ATV's but not used very often. Much to my dismay, a young man and his girlfriend came riding by and went up to the end of the road and then headed back. They got right to the water hole, and stopped the ATV, and started making out within 20 yards of my stand. I was thinking this might be an interesting evening. After a few minutes, again to my dismay, they decided to move that hot session elsewhere, and started their bike and drove away. They never had a clue I was anywhere around, and I wish they would have been carrying a nice soft blanket with them... LOL...

LAST EDITED ON May-29-09 AT 02:53PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON May-29-09
>AT 01:48?PM (MST)

>
">Carlos they were Fur Traders running
>a trot line and had
>to stop and check the
>"Tender Trap". I bet it
>was pretty good viewing!!"

If my battery wasn't dead I would have filmed it and put it on Monsterclips for all to enjoy!!!

get NVBIGHORN to tell the rest of the story...
4a20bb9242d09221.jpg

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I had a tag for on of the UT LE units a couple years ago and the first evening while over looking this meadow a 6 x rag came out bugling away, so I bugled a couple times to keep him spun up. What a great idea :-( as it got dark he had closed the distance down to about 150 - 200 yards and not wanting to spook him we tried sneeking out of the bottom of the meadow through the drainage. Well he could see us just barely as we moved through the tall grass/scatterd brush and he finally thought we were that bull so he started coming towards us, so we picked up our pace. He sure had us pegged as a bull cause then he started coming faster and faster, bugling too. My dad starts laughing his @$$ off cause he thinks I'm gonna have to waste my tag on this bull in self defense! I'm like no way, so here we are running nearly full speed to get into the middle of the thick crap trying to keep some distance between us and the bull and finally it got too thick for him and he stopped to just bugle the night away as we walked out of there.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I was driving through Yellowstone with my girlfriend when I spotted a big bull buffalo walking across one of the big, wide turnouts. I pulled the car right in front of him and rolled down her window. That bull kept walking and stuck his big, fat head right in her window clear to his horns and stopped and stared at us. It thought it was pretty cool because my girlfriend was in my lap in the drivers seat, until the bull blew snot all over her, me, and the entire inside of my car. She wasn't very amused.

On another hunting trip my neighbor dumped a big doe in the bottom of a canyon. When she was shot, she fell like a ton of bricks and didn't moved. We made our way to the bottom and my neighbor rolled the doe over to start field dressing her and the deer kicked him right square in the balls. She kicked so hard it lifted him off his feet. Then she just laid there just as dead as before. It took him 30 minutes before he could stand up and at least that long before we stopped laughing.

I caught a young couple down by Pagosa Springs in the early 90's having a quickie on the trail. They were probably no further than 20 yards in front us and my friend was having a fit because he didn't have his video camera (a rare thing back then). I don't which was more embrassed; me or them.

i was bowhunting in ID for elk,sneaking along a willow lined creek,all of a sudden a cow moose jumped out and ran out into the sage. she dissapeared.i thought pretty cool. i kept sneaking along but kept hearing noises behind me.pretty soon here comes the cow. she got to about 10 yds and just stared. i walked for over a half mile with her following me like a dog. another time hunting deer in mich,i had located a nice 8 pt before season opener.a large oak tree had blew down from a wind storm.where the roots had been left a hollow out dish.i had jumped that buck out? of that dish. opening morning i was sitting in his nest at daylite. my back against the roots. right to my left was a forked little tree. soon i? heard foot steps to my left. the buck kept getting closer and closer, until he stuck his head between the forks,looked to his right,i turned the gun left and shot him from the hip total dist, 3 ft.he had the most supprized look on his face.never will top that

Epic thread on this very subject [a href="http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441"]here[/a]

Not weird but out of plsce. I found a cat dump truck the ones that are huge. Someone had stolen it then drove it off a cliff. I was glassing for bears and spotted something yellow turned out I had spotted the rear axle. It was there for a couple years then it was gone. It would have taken a huge crane or a big helicopter to get it out.

years ago I had my wife along with me on a deer hunt. I shot this buck across a river and he dropped like a sack of spuds. The deer never even twitched a ear he was done. I handed my rifle to my wife and crossed the river which was about 35 degrees and about 25 feet across. The freezing water was about up to my stones and the rocks had slick moss on them. When I got to the other side with just my knife to gut the deer, he jumped up and started to walk away from me. First I thought of being Rambo and taking him out with my knife ( the cold water must have been geting to me) Then I yelled to my wife bring me my rifle. Being a good sport and still young and nieve she started crossing the river with my rifle held high and the freezing water at her waist. right when she handed me my rifle the buck fell over dead. I never had to worry about her tagging along on another hunt again.

Several years ago, I was out in the evening scouting for deer. I came upon a decent 3 pt. buck getting a drink out of a water tank. I watched him for a few moments, then returned to camp as it was dark. I decided to take a spotlight and get another look at the buck. When I returned to the tank, I flicked on the light and there stood a big 6-pt. bull elk!!

One summer weekend back in the mid 80's I was camping on top of the rim north of Payson and decided to take my .22 rifle on an early evening walk just to see what I could see. After about a half an hour, I sat down on an old Ponderosa stump to take a rest. All of a sudden I heard braches crashing behind me and to my right. When I looked back I saw a large doe muley running across a little draw right at me as if she was trying to save her life.

I sat still as a church mouse when she stopped right next to the stump I was setting on. She kept looking back from where she came and was breathing really hard. I could see her chest and rib cage heave with each breath she took. She was so close that I could have poked her in the ribs with my .22.

After a minute or so, she just walked off and never knew I was there. That was a thrilling moment in my life that I will never foget. How she did not smell me or notice me I will never know, but she didn't.

The thought crossed my mind that she may have been running from a black bear which was not a good thought, but nothing ever came out following her.

My close encounter.

>Epic thread on this very subject
>[a href="http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441"]here[/a]

Whoa, you aint kidding. That's one interesting read. Sounds like the NW is littered with dead bodies, dildos and aliens.

"Sounds like the NW is littered with dead bodies,dildos, and aliens."

Coincidence??? I think not.Hmmmmmmmm....

;-)

A few years back i sat down to eat lunch at about 11,000 ft and while eating i heard a bell. I thought i was hearing things until two domestic goats stepped out one with a bell around its neck. Had to laugh wondering what the story was.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Two years ago in nv. I was out for a late night booze cruise with a girlfriend and pulled up to a frozen lake. There was small deer that looked like it had fallen through the ice. I grabbed flashlight and headed across the ice toward the deer when I saw it's ears lay down flat like it was trying to hide. As I got closer I realized that the deer had slipped on the ice and was had tryed for hours to get off the ice. I grabbed the deer by the hind leg and drug her to the shore. I grabbed her like a dog and shook her a little bit. she tryed to stand up but was too weak and too cold. I grabbed my jacket out of the truck and through it over the deer and layed on the deer. After a few minutes I started to get cold so I got up, took the coat off the deer and stood her up again. she quickly got her feet under her and sprinted off up the hill. I named her lucky.
Her 3x4 27" cut and wrapped dad however was not so lucky last year.

A couple of years ago a buddy and I were packing out a buck he had just shot that morning. On the way up the trail we noticed a sleeping bag 20 yards off the trail. Weird, since we were miles from a campsite. We decided to investigate and we found a dead cow moose under the bag. There was also lettuce, oats, apples, and other food laying on the straw that the moose was laying on????? It took us a bit to piece it together but obviously someone had come across a sick moose and was trying to nurse it back to health. They had packed staw, food, and a sleeping bag into this semi-remote area to try and help this moose. It didn't work, but it gave us plenty to talk about for the rest of the day!

mooseinsleepingbag.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-09 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]This is more weird than funny. I went out in the ocean salmon fishing with a friend many years ago. We were headed back in, comming into Humbolt Bay. It was rough and boats had to hug the South Jetty to avoid the breakers. There was about a 50 ft. commercial fishing boat following us in our little 14 footer. He was a lot faster than us and was closing on us in a hurry. About that time my friends motor conked out. We were dead in the water. The commercial boat never even slowed down, and within about a minute was right on us. I grabbed an oar and when he got up to us I shoved off as hard as I could to prevent him from cutting us in half. A couple crew members were looking over the rail and laughing their asses off. Yeah, real funny!

About a week later there was an article in the local paper saying that this same commercial boat was missing out at sea. Within a few days they located some debris floating in the ocean. The conclusion was that a big freighter had hit them in very foggy conditions in the middle of the night.

I felt real bad.

Eel

One time I was on a hillside overlooking a small pond glassing for deer. I saw a coyote walk up to the pond and get a drink...it then picked up a stick about a foot long and very slowly started backing into the water. It prolly took a half hour until all that was sticking out of the water was his nostrils and that stick....he stayed that way for a few minutes then got out, shook off and ran off. I was curious so I walked down to look at that stick and it was completely covered with fleas.......

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Bunch of years ago i pulled bonehead mistake. My friend and i had a history of winter fishing a small mountain lake in the Cali Sierra called Salt Springs Res. You got there by a long winding drive up this gravel and dirt road that actually ended at the spillway to the Res. Anyway, we had a pretty good day trolling for big Brown trout and called it a day. On our way back down the access road, where a creek crossed under the road, i noticed a bunch of trout in the dammed up pool that was formed on the upside of the road. My pard pulled over and we got out to look again and see that the deep 30' X 30' pool was indeed infested with what must have been a recent planter stocking.

We each needed several trout to fill out our limits so i pulled my tackle box out and setting it down at the rear of the parked truck on the road, opened it up and picked out a little green frog flatfish and told my friend to pick out something for himself. The trout bite was hot until others saw us fishing and stopped to join us. Within 20 minutes there was 10 other fishermen, kids and their dads casting over our lines, so we pulled out of there and headed home.

Unpacking, i noticed that i had no tackle box... It was a good 3 hour drive back up there. I got in my Chevelle and made the trip in 2 1/2 :) Lo and behold, there setting on the side of the road, was my tackle box sitting wide open unhampered with. In it were doubles and triples of near every lure Rebel and Rapala ever made plus literally hundreds of spinners and spoons. That heavily stocked tackle box still being there, just patiently waiting the 6 or so hours after i had left it in plain view, to me, was some kind of fantastic miracle.

Joey

About 4-5 years ago, I was duck hunting near Delta Colorado in one of my favorite duck hunting spots... (a secret place). Anyway, it is a riparian area, a creek bottom. The creek flows into the Gunnison about 2-3 miles downstream of where I am at. Anwyay, an F-104 or 105 flys by, at just above tree-top level. At the time, I was only 3-4 years reserved from the ANG, and the ANG Base in Phx had one on a post so, I'm current on current aircraft ID, and I know that it was the same as the one on static dispaly in Phoenix...or was, prior to it moving 1/4 mile south in order to give more room to Sky Harbor. Those damn things are extinct. I don't think anybody that trains in the US flys em. The Germans, who train in Alamogordo used to fly em, after we got rid of em and I suppose some of em could have gone to the public. But what the heck is a 40 year old fighter doing in Delta, CO, flying nap of the earth? very odd.

We were pheasant hunting one year and my cousin knocked one down
upon finding it it was still fluttering. He rung it's neck he thought afew hundred yards down the field he kept reaching back
thinking it was still alive in his vest, all of a sudden it came out of his vest scaring the hell out of him we had too shoot again killing it for sure this time still laugh about it to this day

I remember some time ago, A good buddy of mine and myself were road hunting for pheasants. You know, drive by and see a fat ditch parrot on the bank, pull over and clobber it. Well after several dead birds and down to the last couple to reach our limit. We made a bet, One shot, one kill. Or its the other guys turn. If you miss and the other guy kills it you owe him a case of beer. On the last bird of the day, it was my buddys turn. No bets had been lost to this point. While he was out of the truck taking a leak, I very politely unloaded his double barrel. Next thing you know we pull up to a bird, we get out, and what do you know, his misfires and I clobber it. He threw an absolute fit, claiming I unloaded it, but then he couldn't remember reloading. I remained stoic and adamant. I enjoyed a nice cold case of Coors Light after the day.Toi this day he compl;ains about it. As of about 3 months ago he didn't have a clue. I couldn't help but tell him the truth. He kicked my ass.

The next time I will take out the firing pin instead...

We were playing b-ball one day and a stray dog wandered up to us. We hunted pigs at the time (with dogs) so the next weekend we took the dog leashed up to where the strike dogs had a pig bayed up. Turned him loose,killed the pig, but the new dog had just disappeared. We thought he was dead.
The truck was across a big canyon,which we needed to pack the pig across to,when we heard the horn honking. We were the only ones hunting the ranch,so we were puzzled. So when we arrived to the truck the new dog was sitting on the front seat with a cut from the fight,and sure enough blood on the steering wheel. The dog honked the horn.

Me and a buddy were fishing for smallmouth bass on this remote river in arkansas. Took us 2 hours by fourwheeler to get back in where we were. We were standing on the edge of a pretty deep pool below some rapids when we had the sheeeeet scared out of us by diver in a black wetsuit surfacing right in front of us. He seen us and submerged down and I dont know where the heck he went. Never seen him again.

Appalachian Hillbilly lost in Utah! Retired from the military and decided to stay. Love the outdoors.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom