Fur Friendly .243 bullet

bragabit

What bullet do you guys shoot that does not damage a Coyote fur to bad? I have been shooting a 70gr Sierra Matchking that is very accurate, and puts Coyotes down big time. But it does too much damage to the furs. Would a Ballistic tip be better? Maybe a solid hunting type bullet that wouldn't expand much?

The 55 grain Sierra bullet will run
awfully fast out of a .243

Damn fast. I've never had one exit,
if that's what you are looking for.

They seem to be accurate too.

Laro

I figured I needed to go down between 55 and 60 grains to try to keep from getting an exit hole. I know the BC will not be great, but I can use the 70gr for all but 2 months when the furs are good. What have you guys used that you like Vmax, varmegeden, Barned grenade, Sierra blitzking or varmiteer. Also what is your opinion on flat base and boat tail ?

I came late to the 243 party, only getting one in 2009. I love it.

I've been using the 75gr Vmax out of it and was very surprised at the lack of pelt damage. It was on about the 31st or 32nd coyote when I finally had pelt damage. Shots were from 20 to 400yds, no exits.

I was apprehensive about using the 243Vmax on coyotes due to our experience with a 60gr Vmax out of my son's 223wssm. This combo was hard on pelts, with some hellacious holes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom