Furlough Days???

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Any state workers on here? If so, are you being allowed to accumulate your Furlough Days??? And what do you have planned for them???

Didn't mean to p1ss anyone off, just start conversation.

"Squaw Valley ski resort at Lake Tahoe was offering $30 lift tickets ? a $49 savings ? on furlough days to state employees who show a valid state identification card or recent pay stub. Boreal ski resort also has a promotion in which state employees can ski or snowboard every Friday for the rest of the season for $20."

If you're an employee on furlough....I know what I'd be doing on my two Fridays off a month!! No complaints here.

Steve

I heard about the ski resorts. I also heard some bars are having all day happy hour on Furlough days, just show a state ID.

Fortunately, I work in a 24 hour operation. They'd have to pay 1.5Xs overtime to cover the Furlough days so we get until June of 2012 to burn ours. I'll just use it in lieu of vacation and bank my vacation for a later date.

It may change when the budget is signed but who knows.

Califelkslayer, guess i'm out of the loop here. What's a "furlough day"?

I'm guessing it has something to do with Calif's budget, how do they work?

Joey

Sage,

It's a day that state employee's get their mouth's pried from the tax payer tit and join the real world.......only temporary no doubt, soon as Ca talks some sucker into loaning her more money I'm sure they will be reimbursed........no offense any of you state employee's.....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Sage, the Furlough Days are in lieu of the 10% salary cut we took. Like DMV being closed the 1st and 3rd Friday of every month.

D13er, I must ask if you believe there are no "Necessary Functions" that the State must perform???? Clear snow so you can get to work?? Clear accidents so you can get to work?? Build bridges so you can get to work?? Repair roads so you can get to work without a 4X4?? MAYBE even keep convicted murderers and rapists behind walls and protect society from an element they DO NOT want to deal with. If you'd like a tour of a prison, I can arrange it (as long as you don't have a felony convictions, are not on Probation, no overdue traffic tickets or Failures to Appear). You probably won't see a stabbing, riot, fist fight or assault on staff but you can see that from the safety of your own livingroom watching "Lockdown" or a variety of other shows while drinking a cold one.

After spending 26 years behind those walls, 8-16 hours a day and getting called @ all hours of the night and weekend to respond to emergencies, it's more comfortable for me than going to the local shopping mall. At least I know what I'm dealing with.

I'm sucking from the taxpayers t1t?? Only on the web would someone say that to me.

YEA!! I know you from there??? I haven't been in there for over 2 1/2 years. (EX works there) I play in Reno now when I get the chance.

Probably not. I play there once or twice a year at most, tough game if you ask me.

I sat in a 3-6 game one night and didn't win a hand or pull a chip for over two hours. I'm not really a tight player, just could not catch cards that night.

Another time, i had been in the game for an hour or two, doing ok and got caught up in a good pot with my trips, then, YES!!, the nut boat on the river. There were 4 guys still in a kill pot with the raises getting capped each round. Anyway like i said, i had the nut boat and couldn't believe my luck when i got re-raised. I fired back, he re-raised and i knew i was in trouble. Nice pot, i lost, the re-raiser had four of a kind! That Sucked big time!!! was like a $400. pot, huge for me.

I like playing, it's just not responsible for me to do so until my business is on firmer ground. Reno? haven't been in a couple years.

Joey

Funny how you remember those winners that turn out losers. My favorite is the Straight I hit on the turn, guy bet $50 and i went all in for my last $130.00. He looked me in the eye and asked me if I had it. Told him I did, figured he'd fold and I'd get the $300.00+ plus in the pot. He called with 2 pair. Hit the boat on the River. Don't know how I could have played it better and I'd bet pretty good on the flop as I had top pair and 8 outs to hit the straight. Only reason he called was he'd just cashed in for $500.00 and saw he could get me outta the game.

I almost cashed back in cause if that guy was gonna go to the River the rest of the night, I know I was gonna got all my $$$ back and some of his but I thought,"Don't get personal or you'll lose you a$$." Time to go home and play another day.

When you go to Reno, Do you play at the El Dorado? Nice place, or it used to be anyway. I always enjoyed playing there but lots of guys pull a living outa that place.

When i travel i always try and get along with people. In my younger years, spent a lot of time and money learning how to consistently win at low-ball. Anyway, few years ago, a hot summer Saturday in Reno, i was looking for a seat. I bought a rack and sat down in a lively 3-6 game at the El Dorado. I had a tank top and carhartt shorts on, dressed very casual, feeling good. Before i even got a hand, a big black guy down on the end asks me if i'm part gorella? i didn't pay him no mind until he said, "excuse me i said i think all that hair on your shoulders and back makes you look like a big gorella!"

Like i said, i'm outa town and ain't looking for trouble but i looked him in the eye and replied, "are you talking to me? You're talking to me?! I might might think from your black nappy hair and big ol pug nose that you look like a monkey but i'm not rude enough to say so!" :)
The floor men had to break us up, he got kicked out, a few hrs later i cashed out $300., smile on my face and a comp ticket to the buffet in my pocket.lol

Joey

Califelkslayer,

Hope you can find some fun on your days off even if you didn't ask for them. Ihope they get this budget fixed pretty soon. There is some lousy wheather around the Reno area right now so be careful if you are heading up this way. I sent you a text the other day about the two fellows you met at the RMEF last year. I dont know if you received it or not. If they are the ones that Iam thinking about I have a picture of the two bucks that they took. Hope to be going back to the same unit this year as my long time hunting partner is going to apply again. Hope he gets the Congrats instead of Sorry. Happy Holdem.

lost

Sage, Now thats a funny story!!! Win OR lose. Laughing my a$$ off.

Lost, father/son team? Father been huntin Colorado for 30+ years?? Thats them.

I went to Tahoe Thursday and Reno today. Kinda icy today but had to drop my son off of the airport this AM.. He's going into the Guard in 10 days. Seems like he's on the right track.

I'm banking my Furlough days. Basically 36 days the next 18 months. I'll probably not use a single hour of vacation this year unless I draw 3 tags. Pay cut's manageable and I really think draw odds will be way up this year cause of the economy. Just my opinion.

Looks like my friend and beginner hunting buddy pulled the plug just at a good time. He retired last July, used to teach the inmates, HD i believe, so they could pass the GED. He had prior teaching in PERS, like 17 years in STERS, and he bought his military years. He told me he now makes/gets $400 a day just to wake up, weekends included, for the rest of his days! Not bad and yes i'm a tad jealous.

Joey

Hey Elkslayer,
I'm sure I could arange some excitement for D13r! How about a tour on a training day?
D13r,
I don't think you would want to tell Calielkslayer he is mooching off the taxpayers to his face. He's a nice guy...until he gets mad! He aint all that big, and getting a little long in the tooth, how big a fella are ya? I'm more relaxed than Elkslayer, not quite as old and a little, frail fella myself.
Homer, we earn our keep and then some and we are dang good at doing what we do.
I have no hard feelings about taking a 10% pay cut if it helps any of you, the people who we work for (the tax payers of California), and I and others in our agency feel for those that have lost their jobs.
If any of you think State Workers are over paid and don't do anything, come join us or any of the state agencies. The doors open and there are jobs of all types that insure the people of Cal are taken care of, jobs the private sector can not perform or are not interested in doing.
Norkal

NorKal, I appreciate but don't need your backup.

And I'm a nice, level headed guy ALL of the time. You guys can tell your fantasy stories about me all you want but for the record, "I have not used force since June." Medication is working wonders.

Meeting @ a mutual square-off place doesn't count.

Hey Elkslayer been reading the post's for a long time now so Iv'e finally decided to join MM.Seems to me a guy might find a little info if he reads between the lines.Yes I will be banking my furlough days for my future sheep hunt.Only problem is I have to draw the tag!Maybe I can work a little O.T when my buddies take their furlough days off? Anyways I remember the day in June when you used force,I believe it was in the snackbar there was only one donut left and you pushed the F.N.G out of the way! Im looking forward to posting with everybody in the future,out for now. BH1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom