Future hunt

1989Cohunter

Very Active Member
I'm looking at doin a hunt in Arizona. I'm just trying to narrow down what unit. Thinkin 31 or 33. Any info would be awesome.

All the az units that have coues are good units. Of the 2 units you mentioned, both have a lot of deer but 31 has a lot better mature buck potential due to 33 having soooooo many hunts now. There are still good bucks in 33 but much harder to find. Seems like 33 has 5 general, 2 junior, a muzzleloader, and archery before and after. 31 has less hunts. How you hunt in az is much more important than where you hunt imo. Archery or rifle?

All the az hunts can be good depending on how you hunt and if you have time to hunt. You could probably draw 30A next year.

Yeah kinda seems like what it seems. Hell maybe I'll just shoot for a unit and go for it. Have to learn areas some how.

Can someone school me a little on the season structure. I'm having a hard time finding a lot of info on how they work. Toprut shows early, 2nd, 3rd and late. Just trying to figure out what the dates of those are?

There is no "season" structure in AZ like there is in CO. Hunts normally start on a Friday and usually, but not always end on a Thursday. Hunt dates in each unit can be different.

In 2019, 30A hunt dates were 10/25-10/31, 11/8-11/14, 11/29-12/8, and 12/13-12/31. 33 hunt dates were the same except there was also an earlier hunt 10/18-/10/24. Both units had some mule deer hunts between some of those dates.

You have to read the regs to figure out what the hunt dates are for any particular unit. Toprut trying to force the hunts into an early, 2nd, 3rd and late structure just doesn't work for every unit.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-19 AT 06:21AM (MST)[p]IMO, the two latest hunts are the better ones, with the latest as the best. Unit 33 is decent. My personal favorite is the last hunt in 36B. All that said, you can find a good buck is every unit if you hunt hard and get away from the crowd. Most importantly, learn how to glass.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I more or less just trying to dial in a unit I can draw non resident fairly easily. That also holds animals. Research I suppose.

Several units never "sell out" on the first draw. And of those that remain, some are easier than others to draw. With no BPs and as a NR relegated to the general portion of the draw, unit 33 will likely be one of the tougher ones. Good luck in your quest.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom