G-3 Buck Hunt for Mrs. Brownie

brownie

Well it's one week away, and we haven't found a buster yet. The mrs. says she's been without a deer tag for eleven years, so she's not wasting it on a wimpy little 22 inch three point clone. Big Bucks or nothing! We've been scouting for the last three days, we haven't seen a real buck yet. It's snowing today, so maybe it'll start to bring them down.
Got to go now, going to look in just a bit, it helps when your only thirty minutes from the zone. I'll keep you posted when the hunt starts, but I don't think it'll be quite as informative as last year, with BigMass, and yukon dall. Talk to you later , Doug.

Like the sound of the snow, hopefully it will push some bucks down and around. My Daughter got the tag this year so I am planning on heading over from SLO on Tuesday morning. With her work schedule, she can only hunt opener with Monday, then the last week. I will be looking around pretty much the whole season and will be in a red toyota pickup, so we will probably run into each other some time during the hunt. Also, my daughter is also looking for "go big or go home". Nickman if your out there, we will have to hook up this year for sure, missed you last year but I still have your number so will call you when I get over. Also, need to check in with Frank at the big pine chevron or texico (he keeps changing fuel). BLU

Just got to the house after being out in the zone all morning.

It is still snowing high, but it is a small storm.

Either way, the rut is late and there are very few does to go around, so I expect that by Tuesday morning, all the deer interested in the rut festivities will be in attendance. This should be enough snow to kick them off the Plateau.

It is way late for the rut, real close to migration, so I really don't expect to see the deer returning to the Kern Plateau, even if it warms up.

Found a very nice 30" forky, a 20" 5x5 with more "stickers" than I could count and 3x3 that looks like he inherited antler mass from an elk.

So far, it's just gene pool bucks, but I am optimistic for Mon-Tue to be "showstoppers".

I am working on some photos this year.....we'll see what happens.

>The mrs. says she's been without
>a deer tag for eleven
>years, so she's not wasting
>it on a wimpy little
>22 inch three point clone.
>Big Bucks or nothing!

That's the attitude! We'll find er' a buster...

>I am working on some photos
>this year.....we'll see what happens.
>

Make sure you clean your windshield.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

I just got back from the m-3 hunt the rut is going on up there the big bucks were hard to find,they were not hanging out in the open down low in the sage, I saw most of my bucks up higher in the timber.

I way up there as well. Saw 2 4x4 that were real nice and one 3x3 with trash. Hope that snow drives them down.

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

4b12a18028810738.jpg

looks like the snow will start them down in to the low country.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

That sure is a popular buck.......I've seen quite a few photos of him this year. Very cool looking.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Hey there Buck, any valid reason you want to start another verbal altercation on here? I don't know you and you sure don't know ANYTHING about me.

Sorry you lost your "package" crossing some fence......Care to discuss it, I posted who I am.

I am easy to find, so if you think you have a legitimate issue with a crippled up, deaf old Vet, bring it down the road. I may still have a spankin' or 2 left for a rude, snotty nosed kid.

I don't know anything about you? I think I know a little or I wouldn't have posted what I did. Just from reading your posts over the last several years I know you are a know?it-all blowhard. I grew up in Bishop and I've dirtied my boots in G3 just about every year since ?77, so I'm able to see through a lot of your b.s. Oh ya, I'm also a vet, although I don't see why that is relevant here.
I don't normally take potshots at guys but with you I made an exception. You seem to have no problem dishing it out, I figured you could take it. BTW, didn't you say that you weren't going to post in any G3 threads anymore?
Don't worry, I have no desire to drive to Lone Pine. I have a punching bag in my garage that would put up a better fight than you.

Sorry about the hijack Doug. I hope you guys find one that?ll make the boys jealous!

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

Good luck on the hunt Doug! I'm sure the Mrs. will knock down a buster, especially with her go-big or go-home attitude.

Nickman, keeps up the info and updates cause to us truly serious hunters, we enjoy the info, NOT the bashing the some "bucks" think makes them a good hunter. I haven't seen anthing good come from those types who must be posers since they don't share info or pix. Probably cause they never get out, just talk.

Spent the whole weekend in the zone, saw lots of bucks, just not many that got your attention. Looks like the wifes hunt will be pretty tough, unless theres a good storm in the next week. If we don't see any shooters in the next couple days, we might bring in H.W.H. guide services to the rescue. Got to go now ,thanks, Doug.

>If we don't see
>any shooters in the next
>couple days, we might bring
>in H.W.H. guide services to
>the rescue. Got to go
>now ,thanks, Doug.

LOL. That's good!

Let ya know what I find tomorrow.

>Nickman, keeps up the info and
>updates cause to us truly
>serious hunters, we enjoy the
>info, NOT the bashing the
>some "bucks" think makes them
>a good hunter. I haven't
>seen anthing good come from
>those types who must be
>posers since they don't share
>info or pix. Probably cause
>they never get out, just
>talk.

BLU, you're slightly hypocritical here.
So, the serious hunters enjoy the info and NOT the bashing? Then you follow that up by immediately bash Buck. Okay...
I think you should let the two of them figure it out.

Hey Mrs Brownie, Where is H.W.H guide services located?
Just got back from scouting,I seen 1 great buck in the gooddale area. If you want more info e mail me.

Deerguzzler

This is Mrs. Brownie, H.W.H. guide service, HIGH, WIDE, AND HEAVY, is a highly recognized guide service out of Bishop, Ca. the true mule deer capitol of California. The MASTER guide, is a highly respected businessman in Bishop. When it comes to trophy animals, this guy doesn't poke around. He may be expensive but he can get the job done. I would like to tell you his name, but I want to keep it a one on one hunt. Got to go now ,I'll keep you posted on the latest. Thanks, Kelli.

You had me going there for awhile.

.....I thought it was, "Hunts With Headlights".

A not too highly respected team from the local res.

Come on guy's keep us posted. This time of year these threads about G-3 and J-12 are the best thing MM has going. We like daily updates!

Just got home from a afternoon look see down at G-3. Didn't see many bucks tonight , 10 to be exact. Nothing that got your heart pumping. I was disapointed to see lots of broken points since Sunday. The rut sure takes it's toll on those tines! Hardly a track south of the Onion Valley road, most of the deer seen by myself and friends have been north of Greys Meadows. Looks like the tag holders were showing up, the county campground above Indy, had several new rigs in there this afternoon. The Mrs. still says she's holding out for a buster, but I can't seem to find one, the best buck to date frame wise is a forky about 28-29" wide. The best buck point wise is a non typical about 24" with cheaters with lots of mass all the way up. Worst part is he's right off the road, and at least three tag holders are after him. I don't think Kelli wants to fight the competition for that buck, if he's still around later in the season maybe we'll go after him. Got to go now,I'll keep you posted on the Mrs. buck hunt. Thanks, Doug.

Sorry I, meant the non typ. was about 24" wide, with the cheaters, his main frame is probably 20", He's got bladed G-1's too. Thanks, Doug.

Rumor has it, there's a ton of snow comin. How much does Kelli want for that tag?

You'll have to talk to her. But I don't think she's in the mood to sell just yet! We'll see how things go tomorrow, I hope we can find her a good one. Haven't seen one yet. At least not an opening day buck , it would have to be something special tomorrow. Hope this predicted storm is all it's cracked up to be, it might be just what the docter ordered.If not we'll have to bring in H.W.H. Guide Service to the rescue! I'll keep you and your dad and brother posted. Thanks, Doug.

You can't. I was joking:)

Play by play? Well O.K. Opening day saw me and the Mrs. on the south end of the unit. We spent the whole day there.Glassed for two hours, we saw eight bucks,four 4X4's, three 3x3's and a 3x3 with one two inch cheater on the left side. The cheater buck was the most impressive, he was wide and high, and really "pretty". Spent the next four hours walking the high brush fans, only saw two bucks, one 4x4 about 23" wide, and a forked horn about 28" wide. The forky was willow horned and flat, not a shooter. Kelli couldn't hunt today, looks like it will be middle of the week, before we'll be able to go again. Sounds like they took a few animals over the weekend, a non-typical, and a 30" two by three, we didn't see either one, the non typical sounds like it had alot of points on it. Maybe someone else has more info? I'll let everyone know how the hunt goes, so far all we can do is hope for snow! I'll keep you posted, thanks Doug.

That's a Dandy buck! Congratulations to your friend. Kelli and I watched that buck for about an hour on Thanksgiving day. He looks more impressive than we thought. How wide was his main frame? Thanks, Doug.

Doug:

His main-frame is only 21" wide......24.5" wide cheater to cheater. Lots of abnormal points and over 21" of mass per side.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I would say the odd of getting a bow buck in this zone is about 80-100% IMHO. I was up there 2 days and walked about 20 yards to most of the buck I saw that were real close to the road. I only had one that actually took off and ran 50 yards. These deer are are not used to seeing people since they come from the park. Also if you aren't a doe then they pretty much could care less. Two years ago when my borhter got the tag we saw 100 bucks no more than 50 yards from us. It would be relatively easy to bow hunt the zone close to a guarantee Ask Roy"bohntr" about all the bucks he was on during his hunt there with a bow.

The only problem is hoping that another rifle hunter doesn't shoot the buck you are going after with your bow, like what happened to Roy in 2007. You can pretty much walk to within 50 yards then just have to be patient as they chase their does around as you move. This is what I do when I take picture of these deer. I had 5 deer last year an 5 yards while taking pics.

If I ever get the tag I will try to take a good one with the bow first and if I can't get what I want close then out comes the rifle.

Again congrats Jerry you and I and Wally talked up there the day of that snow storm glad to see you get that buck you were after. He is a real sweet looking buck. Wish I had him. Congrats

I think what Mulebuck is trying to say is, it's amazing he was able to take THAT buck with a bow, not just any buck. From what I understand there were several rifle hunters after him as well. For Jerry to get him @7:05am on the opener, with a bow, is really impressive. Obviously he did everything right. Congrats on a great buck!

There are certainly decent bucks that you can walk up to in the zone, but the big bucks I encountered there were as intuitive and cautious as anywhere I have hunted.Good luck Mrs. Brownie, I like your attitude a lot. I hope you find the one you are looking for.

No question, it's a great looking buck with tons of charcter. I'd take one like it first day on any CA hunt....And on the same hunt a bow is a big handicap compared to a rifle, especially with the race on between several hunters to get the same buck. Awesome job!

I didn't take what chap_dog48 was saying as taking off anything of the accomplishment as much as saying how good the Goodale hunt is. It would be easier to stick one like that on a Goodale tag than to even get a glimpse of one like that on the X9B or A17 tags, that's all:)

As much as I like bow hunting I am not sure I would feel safe sneaking up on a buck like that with rifle hunters around. Great buck. Anyone know if any others hit the ground yet?

Bill

Talked to some guys from the Sacramento area last night,one of them killed a 27" 6x4 on Monday evening.Heard of three bucks on opening day from the Onion Valley area, the 9x9 being one of them. All the hunters me and the Mrs. have talked to have pretty much the same story, lots of nice bucks, just no giants.
Yesterday my wife and I saw 14 bucks in the afternoon, one ugly 3x3 about 28" wide, a 4x3 about 24"-25" wide and real tall, and a 6x3 around 24" wide with forked eye guards on one side with heavy bases. It was the best buck yesterday. Don't know when we"ll be back out in the field, the MRS. HAS A BUSY SCHEDULE! It's killing me not being out there everyday, but it's her tag. It's supposed to storm in the next couple days, we'll see. The last one only left about 3". Talk to you later, thanks, Doug.

Spent most of the day in the zone with the Mrs. We didn't see many deer, kinda looked in the sleeper spots, even the deer didn't know about them. We saw a few good bucks, but nothing to write home about. Just before dark, saw a buck worth a second look, Kelli was impressed. Maybe we'll check on him in the morning. It was supposed to storm today, but we only got a skiff. We haven't heard of any busters being taken since opening, but if it storms, I'm sure it will be all we need, talk to you later, Doug.

Keep checking this everyday to see what hits the ground. Hopefully soon you will have a picture to show us. I think the hard part is drawing the tag. I have put in for this hunt since it was SX2 (I believe that what is was called)with no luck. Next year is my daughters last year to put in for J-12. Hope her luck is better than mine.

Bill

RE: Another Goodale buck bites the dust, or snow I guess

Well I guess I will spoil the news and let everyone know Mrs Brownie got what she was going out for. Sounds like a lot of mass with lots of junk! Mr. Brownie will have to figure out how to post pictures now, which just might be his hardest task of the whole experience this year.

Congratulations Mom!! Now you are going to have to start putting in for a real tags. Sounds like it was a tough hunt in the Blizzard, wish I could have been there. Your patience paid off. Sounds like he's got some character and that Brownie is pissed its still in velvet.

Hopefully you get your pictures posted soon, as people reading this are going to either be anxious or just think I am full of it. We'll have to wait and see. Just a tease. Brownie should have the "Rest of the story" soon. With pictures..

-Bucky

Congratulation Kelli
On your monster Buck,even without the help of H.W.H guide service.
Bill

Great for your Mom, one Question I ask, is it a stag, a H-Dude, or a Piper?

Come on Doug, have one of the kids help you out. lol
Got a couple pics on my phone but they're teasers! Congrats Kelli!!! Looks like you got a buster!

Black Velvet!

Okay, here IT is.... Black Velvet. Brownie will tell the story I am sure in a later post. He is burned out from a rugged day of hunting in the snow and steep rocks.

4b246f2a5213601a.jpg

4b246f4d529633f1.jpg

4b246f6a52f432bd.jpg

4b246f8b538582a6.jpg

4b246fcb544443af.jpg

RE: Black Velvet!

congrats ...I see it was down south not up north hunt!
good luck with that shredded velvet for mounting ...not sure how someone could fix that! weird to see Velvet at all now did he have nads?
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Well if you haven't heard, Kelli's G-3 buck hunt is over. We spotted her buck Friday at 4:15 in the afternoon, about a mile away in the scope. There was no chance to get to him before dark. Saturday found us leaving the truck at first light. Long story short she connected at 10:00. The buck was in full velvet, he had 7 points on the right, and 5 on the left. His horns are pretty massive. On the left he has a six inch dropper thats covered in black velvet. The right side has a 3" cheater and a couple of extras. The buck is 30" outside, with a 27" 3x3 main frame, with 4" G1"s. He wont score well, but this was the kind of buck Kelli was after. Big and ugly, a Buster Buck from California. Kelli will fill you in on the " play by play" later. All in all, it was a good hunt, talk to you later, Doug.
P.S. the bucks nads were pretty small, think he had some problems, must be the reason for the velvet.

Congratulations to Kellie & you. Very Nice CA buck. Doesn't look like a swollen necked big bodied rutting buck either, along with the late velvet, something was wrong....Makes the antlers look bigger:)

That's awesome Doug......congratulations to the Mrs. on a really unique trophy.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I gave extra thanks to God at church this morning! Thanks for getting my family and myself out of the mountains safely after my exciting G3 deer hunt yesterday. After learning of my lucky draw in June,I have been anticipating a memorable time to be had with my family and friends. I wasn't disappointed.For several months now,we have been planning our strategy. With so many friends and family willing to scout for me, I felt like I had a good chance of finding a big one! Mr. Brownie spotted him on Friday evening,a mile away in the spotting scope. We could see heavy dark horns with a big dropper, and tall eyeguards.He looked good enough to go after.We didn't have time to get to him that night, so we made a plan to go after him early the next morning.My youngest son just got home from college, and another son could help,all we needed was the expertise of HWH guide service.By daylight,early the next morning,we were on our way. We had to walk about a mile to get to where we thought he would be. The weather was cloudy and cold, with a storm trying to come in. The ground was covered in snow, but not too deep yet. We spotted him about 800 yards away straight up a rocky shoot.We decided to hike up a canyon over from him,and sneak up.HWH was keeping him in the sights of his Swarovski, and keeping us posted as to the bucks wherabouts.It was a brutal climb! At 50 years of age, I asked myself "what are you doing here?" but then I got a glimpse of him again and remembered why!It took us a lot longer to get to him than we had hoped, and the weather was worsening. I finally got to a place where I could take a shot. I missed the first two shots, then hit him the next two, but I couldn't go any further, so I had one of my boys go after him, and bring him down to where we were.It started snowing hard , and we were really getting cold and fatigued, so Doug told me to head down the mountain and they would get the buck down. My other son got to us,so the two boys saved the day,by getting the buck down. The conditions were brutal,a full on blizzard. It was scary to say the least. I wasn't kidding about praying that we made it down safely. I have never worked so hard for a deer in my life, and doubt that I ever will.I'm too old!! In the end, its not the size of the buck that we will remember, its the memories that were made in getting him.Thanks to all of our friends who helped us in our scouting, especially HWH guide service. All of your enthusiasm and support made this hunt something I'll always remember! Thanks especially to Mr. Brownie and my boys, who made it all worth while. The frostbite will soon go away, but the stories never will!!! Mrs. Brownie

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-09 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]exciting story, nice kick stand the buck has......

Great story, and great buck. It will look real nice hanging on the wall @ the dinner this year. Congrats to all!!!
Troy

Atta pepper Kel! I kinda figured you'd kill one the weekend I was out of town. Congrats on a one of a kind buck! I'll be over to check him out...

Oh, and good work Brownie boys. Wish I could have been there to help you guys. By the way, did Dale ever get out of the truck on Sat?

Is High Wide and Heavy a reference to big bucks or Dale?
j/k don't tell him I said that...I don't want to get thumped!

Hey Bucky, you want to buy my screen name? Make me an offer.

Is this Duane? Either way, I'll have to pass on your screen name offer. Mine's worth nine more cents than yours. Me and 'buck09' go way back. Its my email, and I use it for all sorts of screen names. Dont be fooled by the other imposters buck10, buck11, buck123, etc.. 'buck09' is the only true buck. Well, except for just plain old 'buck'. You could proudly keep it for yourself. haha.

Did you do any good hunting this year?

Yeah, it's me. After my HWH comment, I am willing to unload the screen name cheap if you change your mind.
I hunted Utah with my dad, bro and nephew. We had a great time but the hunting was tough. I waited until they went home before I went to the good spot and got a nice buck.
BTW, nice bull! Danny forwarded the pics to me. Great pics of you and your dad.

Has anyone heard of any more G-3 bucks being taken? Haven't been back down in the zone since the blizzard on Saturday. I had to get back to work. Maybe I'll take a ride down there on the weekend. I know they got a ton of snow above 7000', if there were any Mossheads down there someone should have saw them. Cut Kelli's deer up last night, think it will eat good, don't think that buck was in the rut. Kinda like H.W.H! Let us know if they killed some busters this week, thanks, Doug.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom