G&F kill 19 elk on Bosque Del Apache

I was wondering the same thing.How many put in for a 4th choice and never heard a word? How many families could that have fed?

I am pretty sure the meat was donated... I THINK that because technically the Bosque is a Wilderness area by the feds any big-game hunting needs to go thru a process.. I have always wanted to hunt the wilderness area on the West side of the hwy.

Would hope that they can utilize depredation hunters to thin the herd.

The article talks about "moratorium on killing pregnant cows". What a PC crock. That would be the MOST EFFECTIVE way to reduce the elk herd number. And as pointed out in the article, all cows are pregnant after October, it's just a matter of how pregnant.

I know you can deer hunt parts of it. You can also hunt small game and quail on parts of it. Of course they do several snow goose hunts too.

You used to be able to hunt Oryx if you had an off range permit during any deer season and during the months of January through March, but G&F ended that and now say they will conduct depredation hunts there instead.

I really doubt there is an actual reason for not conducting a depredation hunt other than its just easier to send a game warden down there with a box of ammo.

I read about the situation via a different news outlet and it seemed like it was the Feds at the refuage killing the elk and not the NMDGF. I kinda took it that there was a turf war going on about who was responsible for the elk with the Refuge taking it on themselves to kill the elk. I might have been reading into the story some, but it seemed like the NMDGF wanted to go the depredation route.

The wife was called the march before last for an oryx depredation hunt on the east side of the bosque. Was fun, but after a few days of glassing and hiking we only managed to see 1. The ranger for the area showed us a few sheds from elk that were found over the years....impressive. Bummer they didn't allow hunters in to do the job. Seems like another Jennings law incident done by the feds rather than by land owners.

I just read about this situation. Does anyone know any updates? I heard a rumor that US Fish & Wildlife have now killed more than 60 elk and left the carcasses to rot. Not sure if it's true or not. Jason why is NMWF not all over this. Sounds to me like hunters got the shaft on this deal.

This is the first i have heard... Can you please provide details... I will also do some digging..
Thanks
J-
not trying to put you on the spot but I need something to work with

typical government waste....62 page report that could have been less than 5 pages. im sure some government worker worked on that for a month, then it had to be reviewed, etc. waste of elk, waste of time.....

Yeah a buddy was telling me about it and that he had talked to a G&F person. Sounds like the G&F are not happy about it. Seems like from what I gathered G&F wanted to do depredation hunts and US wildlife has just taken over and is killing them off. So it sounds like it is something G&F are aware of and hope they can get it figured out soon.

Just sounds like a perfect chance to use a system we already have in place. Hope they can figure this one out without just killing and wasting.

From what I can gather it isn't so much the elk over ducks but more of the fact that elk are eating all the corn that they plant for the ducks and cranes...

Also, I am sure that there is a political issue, "The Festival of the Cranes" IS A HUGE draw for Socorro, those wacky birders want to see birds not elk.... :)

I am still looking for info on this. If you have anything please send it to me... I need something to push.

so the Fed's are killing off State owned animals, I think I remember a bunch of guys on here saying this COULDN'T happen.

I guess they didn't see this one coming.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Yeah I hope this one comes up in the Game Commission meeting and at least people can find out what is going on. It is hard to find stuff on this one maybe someone will hear something there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom