G, H and K odds predictions

ForkWest

Very Active Member
I'm betting G is over 5 ponits now for non-residents. H used to be anything more than 0 but I bet its up to 1.5 points. I'm thinking K will be up a full point as well.

Any guesses? We'll know soon. WY is great about posting statistics that same time as results.

I thought the drastic drop in odds last year was due to price hike rumors, but now I'm thinking not so much.

We'll see...

It'll keep getting tougher to draw for sure. There are a lot of people sitting on 6+ points who have been applying for better areas. A few will jump ship every year and head for G, H and K.
What helps the odds in G and H is the fact that it's very difficult to hunt effectively without being in great shape and/or having horses.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-15 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]I really don't care other than that my 6PPs draw the G tag and I'm going horseback to do it right. I think it may take 5PPs to draw at 100% this year, but I think those with 4PPs will still draw some tags based on the 80%+ that drew last year. I've already contacted the gentleman that advertises horse rentals on here about getting a couple if we don't take good bucks on our guided hunt. He was a very nice guy and the rates are very good IMHO and include all the tack. If they're good enough for and endorsed by Founder, they should be okay for me!

I think it will approach 5 even in the special. Lots of folks tired of waiting for things to get better in Wyoming for deer and know G is the best thing going.

We hunted G for 10 days in great areas last year. The best buck we encountered was a 28" 4 point. The bucks are all 2 and 3 year olds. In my observation most of the 3 year old deer hit the ground last year. My guess is most high points people that went with G will be disappointed.

Part of the reason for the point creep is that WY has cut the NR quota of tags several times in G and H, so less tags available. It wasn't too long ago you could get an H tag as second choice in special draw. I hope the points needed will somewhat stabilize if they keep the NR quota the same.

I think a lot of people are realizing there are no better areas and they might as well hunt now rather than wait for some improvement that may never come. I had max points for both deer and antelope. They will most likely be spent this year.

Any other predictions on points needed to draw special tag in G?

Last year was 3 pts. It looked like about .75 pts per year creep. I'm thinking people will need to break 4 to have a 100% chance. I'm in with a group at 4.5 but still nervous about drawing.

5 years ago G had a winter/spring that wiped out a large portion of the fawns and yearling bucks. Those would've been 5 - 6 year old deer this fall. Having said that, I saw pictures of several 190 class bucks that were shot last year including one that grossed just over 200 the week before I went up. Big bucks are still there, but will be harder to find especially if you don't have access to horses. Having said that, demand will continue to increase with all the hype and point creep will continue every year unless the G&F decides to increase quotas. I'd guess 5 points for G...

With the points needed to get a region G Tag I am glad to now be a resident. I love hunting that country and 1 time every 5 to 6 years would be the end of the world for me.

Looks like the Non res. tags won't go to far this year! Resident hunter numbers need to be cut way back to. Before G is ruined forever. Example. The first year I was old enough to hunt 1986. I saw over 80 bucks opening morning. Two different groups had over 20 Bucks together. Last year we didn't see more than 6 bucks opening morning. But I did see more than 20 Hunters. I know I do a lot of complaining in my old age. Good luck guys.

I'm very interested too see how many points it takes to draw this year. Hopefully I can draw the tag, this topic has me a bit worried now. Been looking forward to hunting that country for years! I guess we'll all know soon enough.

Well the drawing is done and the results are posted.

For Region G non-residents with 4 or more points in special draw were almost guaranteed tags (89% for 4 pref pts). A special note, only 9 applicants with 6 or more points tried for a Region G tag in special draw.

In regular draw 5 pref point guaranteed the Region G tags and between 4 to 5 points had a 61% chance, so not much different odds for special vs regular.

My buddy and I drew Region G as NR with 5PP....now decisions on when he can leave as he still works and I am free as a bird.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Brian go and setup camp, and tell him you will be waiting for him while you are hunting up a monster. Horses and Mules are the best way to fly for that Unit. Good Luck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'm sick and tired of playing the points game in every state. It doesn't seem to help me at all. Count me in for region G next year with 10 points.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-15 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]And because it took 5 to lock a tag this year in the special, next year people with 6 and 7 points will be applying. G is two or three years away from being a max point draw in the special.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom