G

Harvdog

I may get flamed for this but I’m good with it.

Two of us burned points in G and I’m looking for someone that’s familiar with the area or anyone that’s willing to talk Mountain Mule deer hunting with me. Specifically about tactics and what a typical day would be like for you. Also water situations, grizz and other challenges that we may face.
We’ve archery backpack hunted elk for many years and recently did two mule deer hunts in Montana to gather some deer glassing experience. Think I’m bit! Fun stuff

I realize it’s not the best timing with the winter kill, and all my reading and conversations with Biologists pointed towards other options. Call me stubborn but my points were slotted for western WY from the start, and this was the year.

I’m not sure it matters to anyone but I’ll probably never hunt G again in my life. Expectations are low but the drive is high. Appreciate anyone that’s willing to have a conversation.

Montana

20DCF846-2B9D-464F-BE98-40CA6E95751B.jpeg

AC4ED0D8-557F-4180-8D4B-D3DFCAF12314.jpeg

4E6CC7C5-FA42-48B9-8AD1-D8D3A3F31EAC.jpeg

Watch a ton of YouTube videos there is a lot to learn from those videos. Yes a hard year, but for me I would see G as the adventure and the deer hunting as a bonus.

Get to good glassing spots well before light, watch your wind at all times. Be mobile… I would look and make sure to have several plans together and several spots. Cover as much ground as you can. The needle has gotten smaller and the haystack is huge.

This would be my general advice. Not specific to G…

Watch a ton of YouTube videos there is a lot to learn from those videos. Yes a hard year, but for me I would see G as the adventure and the deer hunting as a bonus.

Get to good glassing spots well before light, watch your wind at all times. Be mobile… I would look and make sure to have several plans together and several spots. Cover as much ground as you can. The needle has gotten smaller and the haystack is huge.

This would be my general advice. Not specific to G…

For sure on the adventure, and killing one would be a double bonus! YouTube can be a great learning tool and just about the the only thing I watch. I’ll be studied up

If there was ever a year where scouting was crucial to success it would be this year. Gonna be a lot of perfect deer country, totally void of deer if their winter mortality estimates are even close to correct

Why not just go camping if you don't care about the harvest? No offense but my hunts are set with the goal of the harvest. Why not?
Some people need a reason to go camping/backpacking. I know I’m one of them. I don’t give two focks if I kill another sheep. I just love being in that country. I could easily just not hunt them and go backpacking there. But I can’t. I have to have that tag in my pocket. I gotta have something to motivate me and that does it. I know it sounds crazy but it’s true. I can’t and will not go for a hike. That’s not me and never will. But throw in shed hunting or scouting and I’m on board.

Hell Sunday I went for an asskicker hike. 3.5 hours one way over the top of the mountain into a little valley that has marginal at best moose browse. But there’s always an antler in there and it’s a great hike to get in shape and get the dogs out. Would I ever do that hike just to look in the valley? **** no. But yet there we were on Sunday:
C71FA98D-0492-44D8-AC64-31955FCC74C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not just go camping if you don't care about the harvest? No offense but my hunts are set with the goal of the harvest. Why not?
I did not say I didn’t care, I said it would be a double bonus. Don’t get me wrong harvest is the goal and the reason, but it’s no guarantee like the camping part of it. I don’t really camp to camp.

Last edited:
Some people need a reason to go camping/backpacking. I know I’m one of them. I don’t give two focks if I kill another sheep. I just love being in that country. I could easily just not hunt them and go backpacking there. But I can’t. I have to have that tag in my pocket. I gotta have something to motivate me and that does it. I know it sounds crazy but it’s true. I can’t and will not go for a hike. That’s not me and never will. But throw in shed hunting or scouting and I’m on board.

Hell Sunday I went for an asskicker hike. 3.5 hours one way over the top of the mountain into a little valley that has marginal at best moose browse. But there’s always an antler in there and it’s a great hike to get in shape and get the dogs out. Would I ever do that hike just to look in the valley? **** no. But yet there we were on Sunday:
View attachment 113953
You find an antler back there?

At 74 years old, I have witnessed several bad winter kill years. Deer are always scarce the following few years, but there are always a few big one around, if you can find them. I didn't waste my points on G this year. Probably won't next year either. It will depend on what the kids/grandkids find on this year's hunt. I probably only have enough years left to draw one more G tag, so I don't want to waste it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom