G3- Crowded?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Wondering what I should expect on Goodale hunt. I know there are only 25 tags but seems like everyone brings a few guys and they separate to glass more areas. Is this hunt pretty crowded? I know lots of guys road hunt. If I head to one of the several trail heads, should I expect a car or 3 or possibly nobody?
Thinking about pulling the 5th wheel and don't want to camp in a "site". Figure I can find a decent place to get off the roads enough so I am not dealing with trucks driving by kicking up dust. Are campgrounds typically pretty full during the hunt? I want to stay down in the flats if I can so I can be mobile and hit different areas. Any info helps. Thanks!

I hunted it in 2020 and my comment is yes, you will see a lot of people, but like you said most of the “crowd” will be on the roads and in certain glassing spots.

You will see three groups of people on this hunt.
  • Outfitters will be in the area and they will have their group of people helping find deer for their tag holders. The tag holder will be hunting up one drainage while the spotters will be spread out throughout the area.
  • Tag holders with family and friends out helping find deer. Same idea, tag holder will be hunting one area while the others are spread out spotting deer.
  • Non-hunters, we ran into a number of people that just drive thru the area looking at the deer. A lot of them have been doing it for years, just wanting to see big bucks, most have been trying to draw the tag for 25+ years.
That being said, every person we talked to was just happy to be hunting in December and gave information what they were seeing. Of course the outfitters would keep most of their info to them selves but a few did give some suggestions. Onion will get the most people since the road goes up so far as long as the gate is open. There are two campgrounds up Onion you will see people in, one just out of Independence and one right before the lower gate, both were open in 2000 and had people in them. I recall a thread from last years hunt that some places were closed due to the snow.

I’d be happy to give you my thoughts, but getting away from the roads is a good idea and you will for sure limit the number of people you will see. I posted a bunch on this thread, let me know if you have any questions.

Don’t underestimate the “ minor” drainages in between the major trailheads. They hold deer as well, hopefully it’s a good year for the springs to be running well into the fall.

Iv never hunted it but always put one day into looking.

Camp at toboose creek camp ground. It should not be crowded. It’s off the main road enough so you should not have much dust. It’s the norther ln most part of the unit. Just by waking you won’t have to worry about seeing many people. Stay on the roads and there will be people. If you have a atv head up to twin sisters always good deer there. If you want to get with it hike up toboose creek to the top of the timber on the south. Long hike and you won’t see anyone. Park at the gate at onion valley. Road cuts half across the mountain. Walk the road into the next canyon. If you stay on it most people won’t go that far. I think it’s called oak creek off the top of my head. Now there are some better spots off the beaten path that hold deer also but you have to get with it. Every time I drive by there I see a great canyon that I believe will hold a great deer. There really are no secrets there. Good luck. Remember most deer that you see the 1st day you can easily shoot the last day. Hold off the trigger if you really want something special and hope for lots of snow

I will be getting with it. I have been and will be working my butt off to get in the best shape I can be in. I won't be bringing a quad so I have spent some time on googleearth trying to find the easiest way into some remote areas. It is all steep as hell so I will be prepared. I'll look into toboose creek. I appreciate the help. I won't be pulling the trigger on anything that is not better than average within the first 5 days. Waited too long and want to enjoy the season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom