G3

BigMass

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum. My wife and I were drawn for G3 this year and got very excited. I started searching for information about hunting this area and came upon a forum on this site. I was pretty shocked at how negative it was. It sounded like locals that are competing for clients to guide. There was a lot of talk about this zone having gone down hill the last few years and squabbling, mud slinging, and such among the participants. I have spent time in the Mammoth area but have only driven through the G3 zone. I will contact the fish and game biologist for the area and was hoping to get some POSITIVE feedback on areas to hunt, access information, and areas to park my trailer. I will not be able to make any scouting trips, but will take the entire season as well as the week before off. My hope is with your help to make the most of scouting that week before the season. Any POSITIVE information that anyone is willing to share about this hunt would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
BigMass

Welcome Bigmass.

Ya, I remember that thread well and to be honest with you it is an embarrassment. If you lived in the valley and knew the individuals involved, it would make more sense to you.
What it came down to was one guy bashing another guy's buck. A few of us defended the buck since it was the largest taken out of the area that year.

Anyway, congrats on your draw! You guys have been blessed. If your words are true and you are indeed taking that much time off, you shouldn't have any problem killing great bucks. Get in the best shape you can in case you don't get any weather.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of people to help you with this hunt. Good luck!

CONGRATS BIGMASS....I HAD A BUDDY DRAW THE G3 TAG THIS YEAR ALSO, THEN FOUND OUT 2 MORE BUDS DREW IT AS WELL. SO THE 4 OF US WILL BE OVER THERE OFF & ON, BUT LOOKING FOR SNOW TO FALL TO GET THEM MOVING. IF I RUN ACROSS GOOD INFO. I'LL DROP YOU A LINE. WHERE ARE YOU FROM ?? WE LIVE IN FRESNO & CLOVIS CA. THE TRIP WILL BE SHORT....GOOD LUCK......YD.

CONGRATS ON TWO GREAT TAGS!!
you have to take all Internet websites FORUMS with a grain of salt and chase it with beer, then Pepto..
(some like it deep here!)
I know nothing about So Cal hunting...however be willing to hang in there the good intell will come..
sounds like you have time before and during the hunt that's also
good.. I am sure you have your shots at good bucks...just set a fair and respectable goal and stick with it .
good luck to the both of you!
rackmaster

We live in Vacaville. It is about 300 miles for us. I will be bringing my trailer so it will be about a six and a half to seven hour drive. I will get there the week before the season to scout and stay the whole season or until I get my buck. My wife will only be able to take one week off so my scouting and the weather will determine if it is opening week or the second half.
BigMass

Congrats, contact Brandon Mojarro in Bishop. He owns and operates hunt395.com and can guide you to some bombers.

Thanks BomberBlackies, I know these guys live in the valley and know as much as anyone could about the deer there, but I'm not looking for a $3,000 guide. Just some friendly information about the area.
BigMass

That indeed is a great tag. As with all the western states California's deer herds are not what they use to be. I have been trying for that tag when it use to be called SX2. If you also get on Jess's Forum , search the mule deer section for "Goodale" I posted a few old pictures there in '06. Others have also posted and you can see the quality of bucks and terrain you will be hunting.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will check that out. I understand it is extremely steep terrain. My wife and I have regular cardio routines and will add some Donner pass hikes in when we get closer to the season. I am used to hunting high desert and from the pictures of bucks I have seen taken there it looks like there is a lot of high desert. I have a copy of the sept-oct 2006 issue of Muley Crazy magazine that has a few pictures of the area along with some very impressive deer taken there.
BigMass

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 10:20AM (MST)[p]BigMass

First off congratulations on a great tag.

Sounds like you have searched old threads and thats going to be a huge help. I'd recomend doing it some more.

What most guys are not telling you is with this tag and the amount of time you are going to be able to spend in the area that finding a buck you like and want to take home shouldn't be a problem at all. Scouting wont be a huge issue, the bucks will be there unless aliens attack. :)

If you base your camp at one of the 5th wheel friendly campgrounds and do day hunts from there your going to be in amazing country and see a whole lot of for CA legit bucks.

If you want to get in amazing shape,cool. But this hunt happens in the wintering grounds and not the high haunts of x9b, totally different hunt. If in great shape you can go big and get into the monsters but with some weather even the bad boys will be down in the valley.

If you want a great hunt and vacation with the wife were you get to look at a bunch of 4x4 inyo muleys then BAM you got it my friend.

If you want to take the buck of a lifetime and hunt with someone who knows the mountain, the bucks and the way the react during the hunt of G3,get a guide.

Either way you CAN NOT GO WRONG with this tag as your going to be looking at 25+" 4x4's for days. Then add in all the smaller bucks and your in for a ride.

I'm jealous, enjoy your hunt and please post the story and pics when you get back.

I may be tempted to go hunt it with my camera and an orange jumpsuit, maybe I will this time. :)

MarkSasser

Congrats to you and your wife. I was also drawn so I'm sure we will run into each other over their. Lets pray for snow and have a hunt of a life time. This is truly one of the best tags in Ca. and actually, on of the best tags in your quest for a wall hanger.

BigMass-
Congrats to you and your wife. As mentioned by others just get into the best shape of your life (in case there is no weather) and get ready for a pretty awesome hunt. Spend lots of time behind the glass and you'll turn something up that'll make you happy! Be sure to post up them pics when the season is over!

You should have no problem if you can walk. You will see all kinds of deer from the road. Division creek, foothill rd , onion valley to the top. East of division creek rd. Spent 10 days with a friend last year on the hunt. Kerry had a wooden leg, so walking was out of the question. The biggest buck I seen was approx. 28 or 29 heavy horn. I was walking. Hope for snow, there wasn't that much last year. As some one posted you will see a lot of deer, just depends on what you are looking for. I personally don't see why you would hire a guide. Mike

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Thank you very much Mike for giving me some locations to check out. I really appreciate having some specifics.
I will definitely post pictures and an account of our hunt.
BigMass

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom