Restrictor plates

feddoc

Long Time Member
I'm not a NASCAR fan, but learned something about restrictor plates from a hot rod forum.

Back when Dodge and Chrysler were losing to Ford and Chevy, the Dodge/Chrysler folks hired a couple of aerodynamic engineers (not letting either know about the other) and asked them why their cars were so slow.

Each engineer came up with the same idea regarding airflow. Given the Dodge Charger, there was a recessed area just below the hood (and just above the bumper forming a rectangular area) stretching between the headlights. This area caught a lot of air. There was also something going on with airflow over the back glass which induced some drag.

Each engineer came up with the same idea....build a slopenose front end with a high wing on the rear trunk area. That was the beginning of the Charger Daytona and the Superbird, along with just a few Daytona 500s.

Those cars started winning. So much do that NASCAR started issuing restrictions on those cars and shortly after force fed restrictor plates to racing.

Last edited:
Good job feddoc…… another post that isn’t about Utah point creep, the EXPO or Wyoming Non Residents. Makes both LIK2HNT and I happy. Camp fires brings the best out in folks. Maybe could solve the worlds problems if there were more Camp Fires.

So doc?

After All These Years You've Never Seen Me Post About PUKE PLATES?

It Used To Take A Few More Ponies & Secrets To Win Races!

The Cars Of Today Are All Identical!

With The Exception Of The Badge They Are Wearing!

It Use To Be Who Could Get Get Away With What!

I'll Find A Clip & Post Here When I Find It!

The Only Credit I Can Give NASCAR Is The Cars Of Today Are Safer Than Ever Before!

It Ain't Hard To Tell When A PUKE PLATE Race Is Happening!

FOOT IN THE F'N FAN & DON'T LIFT FOR ANYTHING!

Good job feddoc…… another post that isn’t about Utah point creep, the EXPO or Wyoming Non Residents. Makes both LIK2HNT and I happy. Camp fires brings the best out in folks. Maybe could solve the worlds problems if there were more Camp Fires.
Also , can’t forget the meme thread. Alway a few good laughs there. 😎😎

My all time favorite NASCAR racer, was a cheater/poacher too. Just for the hell of it.

In 1972, at the Winston 500, Marty Robbins stunned the competition by turning laps that were 15 mph faster than his qualifying time. After the race, NASCAR tried to bestow the Rookie of the Race award, but he would not accept it. He had knocked the NASCAR-mandated restrictors out of his carburetor and admitted he "just wanted to see what it was like to run up front for once."

RIP MR

From what I understand the restrictor plates are to reduce the speed of the cars on tracks like Talladega and Daytona. mtmuley

Ya!

Alot Of People Didn't Know Marty Was A Driver!

My all time favorite NASCAR racer, was a cheater/poacher too. Just for the hell of it.

In 1972, at the Winston 500, Marty Robbins stunned the competition by turning laps that were 15 mph faster than his qualifying time. After the race, NASCAR tried to bestow the Rookie of the Race award, but he would not accept it. He had knocked the NASCAR-mandated restrictors out of his carburetor and admitted he "just wanted to see what it was like to run up front for once."

RIP MR

Well mt!

The Guy That Came Up With The STUPID Idea Claimed He Knew A Few Women That Had Restrictor Plates!

From what I understand the restrictor plates are to reduce the speed of the cars on tracks like Talladega and Daytona. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom