G5 Striker.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
Last year I used the Crossfire broadhead by NAP and found that they shot about 4 inches to the left at 20 yards as compared to my field tips. After reading a few posts on this site I've decided to try out the G5 Striker. It sounds like most of you who have used them has had good results as far as the broadhead shooting the same as your field tips. I will let you know how they work out. fatrooster.

Good choice man, the Striker is the sharpest head period. You'll love it.

G5 for life!

}}-SLIVER-->

If your bow is tuned properly for BH's, almost any BH you shoot should fly the same as your fieldtips.
That being said, I love the the striker, very sharp/strong and flies well at long distances.

i shoot them also my advise is try not to put them right on each other when shooting i have had the blades chip, other than that i love em.

I AM THE ULTIMATESHEDFREAK!!!!

I agree with ultimateshedfreak....If you are used to shooting groups, you may not want to practice much with these heads because they are accurate, sharp, and chip the blades of the others when you group tight (maybe because of the Anvil point? Sharpness?). But then again, that's what replaceable blades are for.

GREAT Broadhead!

~Erock1313

You need to spin test each head on your arrows. I know it sounds old school, but you can get almost any head to shoot like your field points if they are spun.
I was practicing out to 80 yrds last year, and was getting a 6" group before I spun them and 4" groups after.
We used the g5 on elk and whitetail last year, and it is one of the best I have ever used.

The Crossfire is usually a very good flying head. Before you get too much further, I'd seriously look into tuning your bow to shoot broadheads. That usually involves moving the rest a bit, if your arrow is spined right. Download the Easton Arrow Tuning guide and read the section on broadhead tuning.

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/ because the most important piece of equipment you own is YOU!

http://www.sitkagear.com/ Turning clothing into gear.

www.hudallaassociates.com

I used the G5 Montecs a few years ago but they weren't as sharp as I had hoped. I hunted elk in northern New Mexico and I used the G5 Striker on that hunt. I shot a decent bull on the next to the last day of my hunt. I hit him right behind the shoulder broadside at 29 yards. He ran maybe 50 yrds and fell over dead! The Strikers fly great and they are super sharp! The hunt I'm talking about is on Extreme Bulls 4, check it out if you get a chance, you won't believe how quick the bull goes down. I'll be using 100 gr. Strikers again this year on the elk hunt. Good luck to everyone this year!

Thanks for the advice about spin testing my arrows and broadheads as well as tuning my bow. Last year was my first year bow hunting and I've still got a lot to learn. fatrooster.

My setup:

Easton FMJ 400's
2" Blazers
100 Grain Strikers
= DEADLY
:)

I tested the Montec G5, NAP Hellrazor and Rocky Mountain Blitz all against this head and the Striker seemed to group better at 50+ yards and it is hands down the sharpest.

That is what I am going to plug my bull and buck with this year!

www.badlandspacks.com

"Hunt hard or go home!"

Another vote for the Strikers.

I tested the Shuttle Ts, Magnus Stingers, and the Strikers with my: Martin Bengal
65lbs
29 1/2 draw,
Easton Axis N Fused 340s
2" Blazers

The Shuttle T's were inconsistant, and the Stingers shot ok, planing a bit. The Strikers seem to be very consistant out to 50 yds and will be on my arrows for NM elk.

Ed
487cae6f4d683e98.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

GARBAGE.. I used them this year for elk. I won't be using them again. They may shoot great, be sharp as hell, but if they fall apart on impact they won't be on my arrows anymore. Had to finish the job with a normal Montec G5.

Right there with ya man +1 to that. I won't shoot replacable blades. I have shot 3 good bulls here in Colorado with montecs from 8 to 55 yards and none of them have made it over 100 yards. I also like the magnus snuffer ss and the nap hell razor.

Wait until you see the Striker Mags. They are awesome. I saw what damage they can do on the archery elk hunt this year. Awesome head. G-5 has the broadhead thing figured out.

I tried them for the first time this year. I was not pleased with the strength. In shooting foam targets I had to blades break completely on two different broadheads. The other blades would chip consistently. In the cow I just shot last week, one blade broke completely off. I thought about sending in what I have to G5 to get new blades, but might just switch brands. They fly OK, but that is the only thing positive I can say at this point.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-08 AT 09:21AM (MST)[p]I very much disagree with the negativity toward these heads. The Striker MAG is what many of us used for elk this year and I have never seen damage comparative to this. This head produces the best entry/exit wounds that I have ever seen! Maybe the Striker Mag is better/stronger than the regular Striker, but all of ours held together perfect with no blade brakeage.

I would recommend these heads to anybody.

These are pic's of a deer and an elk that were shot with striker MAG's in our camp this year.

48e0eb097f300e14.jpg

48e0eb342a6db3b8.jpg

G5 for life!!!!!!!

}}-SLIVER-->

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-08 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]I think the magnums are beefier, but your picture just proves my point. That head is tweaked and could have easily broke. How much bone/rib did it actually blow through? If you can make perfect shots between the ribs everytime then go ahead and use these. If those blades break your penetration fails.

8 yard shot on BIG boned bull(almost exact same placement as the picture above).. broadhead exploding on impact with front rib.. very little penetration after.. == very little blood trail. VERY BAD situation.

If you want your broadheads to look like that after a good shot through little bone, then go for it. I want mine to look like this after going through two ribs and part of a shoulder.

48e0f3ba4001256d.jpg

Can't argue with the Montec that's for sure.
Both of those shots were complete pass throughs, so not enough loss of penetration to matter.

I personally would not shoot the same head after it was used on an animal unless, 1 the blades were sharpened, ie (Montec), or
2 the blades were replaced, ie (Striker). So for me the blade being tweaked didn't matter, as it would get replaced before it would be used on another animal.

My .02

}}-SLIVER-->

I think any of them will bend or break on a elk. I shot my elk last year, AND IF i DIDN'T RETIRE THE ARROW, COULD SHARPEN AND USE IT AGAIN. But for 15 bucks you can buy replacement blades! Replace and hunt! I would rather do that than try and fix a chip or resharpen. Thats why they sell replacement blades I guess? :D

Who said anything about re-using heads after taking an animal? I just want mine to still be intact and not in pieces or serverly bent. Pieces of broadheads are not that lethal nor are severely bent blades. I am bashing these heads from real world personal experience not from a dislike of the company. I love the G5?s. Use what you want.

I think its fair to say that almost any blade on the market is apt to bend or be a little banged up after going through an animal as big as an elk and contacting bone. As for the pics posted by Sliver.....this is what I was talking about. On one of the shots, the Striker Mag went through the shoulder bone of the elk and still made a complete pass through. I thought that was pretty impressive. The blades on the head will need replacement but the head was still intact.

My buddy saved the scapula of the elk that the striker went through, I'll see if he has a pic of it.

}}-SLIVER-->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom