G5 T3

goforbroke

I was excited about these new broadheads. Finally recieved them and was disappointed. Practice head flew close to FP. Broadhead itself was like 8" off practice head at 40 yards. Only one blade opened shooting through a stryofaom target. Returned broadheads. Just to let people know of my experience.
First G5 product I haven't liked.

broke;

I'm with ya. I was really stoked about the T3, but when I got them, I was totally dissappointed. I don't understand your practice head as compared to the broadhead itself....I thought you just changed the blades from the practice blades to the hunting blades.

You're right in that the heads flew really good as compared to F/Ps, but I couldn't get them to consistantly open. I even shot the t3s at 3D targets and they wouldn't open. I would mess with the clips like the instructions said & nothing consistant. I don't feel comfortable with the T3 so its back to the strykers.

I was not impressed with their sharpness. Never bothered to screw one on. I also think poured pot metal heads are inherently weak.

I respect all of the above comments/ opinions because that was your experience with them so now I will tell you mine.

I absolutely HATE mechanicals for reasons that I could spend hours talking about and if not using them would have saved myself a lot of hours of tracking well placed shots on big game. That being said, after getting a 3pk to try out for myself because they looked too good not to at least test out even though I swore I would never use another mechanical again, I was greatly impressed with all aspects of there performance!

I shot these heads out of a hoyt alphamax 32 set at 80 lbs, 30" draw, using a 448 gr. gold tip 7595 pro arrow with 3.1" quick spins, 4" wraps and a lumenok @ 301 fps. These heads flew like absolute DARTS!!! I test shot these out to 135 yards and not one grouping of the T3's were outside of my field point groups. With the lumenok tracer on the back it was really easy to see no wobble or wierd arrow flight of any kind with these heads, ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

As to the opening issue mentioned above, they opened 100% of the time to the full 1.5" cutting diameter. How I figured this out was a couple tests through a 1/8" piece of leather that I shot through at 20-100 yards at all different angles. I tied it in between two horse panels with a block target 5 ft behind to catch my arrow. All three blades clearly opened right when the blades contact edges went to pass through the leather. I also did a second test on a old glendale buck that I have. At 60 yards my arrows stick about 10" out of the back of the target (because it is a little worn) after the shot so I am able to see the broadheads opening function aftermath. Every shot into the glendale 3D had 3 full blade marks going into the target and a 3" chunk of foam blown out the back of the target with all 3 blades still 100% open on the broadhead.

The sharpness of the blades is fairly sharp as well. Not the sharpest I have EVER seen but deffinately nothing even close to the worst that I have seen. I would give the sharpness of the blades a 8 out of 10, the arrow flight a 10 out of 10, and the ability to open and cutting diameter a 10 out of 10.

I don't see the strength of the poured steel ferrel or tip being a issue because of all the shots that I used those 3 broadheads for all of the countless tests, it never showed a hint of weakness. Granted, it's not the same as shooting square into the front shoulder bone of an elk but I have no doubts that it would get the job done.

The only thing I can say that I don't like is putting the blades back into shooting position with the spider clip secured in its appropriate spot can be a little tricky until you get the hang of it. But once you do get the hang of it, it isn't too bad and is a well engineered design.

This all being said, I have now "switched" back over to mechanicals from my 4 year stint with nap nitrons which I still think is a fantastic head and will be keeping a few of them just as back ups.

Hope this helps a few of you guys out there that are considering trying these heads because I know they are about as spendy to buy as it gets so it's nice to have all the info you can before throwing down the cash.

I am looking forward to trying these out this fall and should have some pics to show you guys on the devastation I think these heads are going to cause some bulls and bucks.

Just so ya all know, I am not affiliated in any way with G5. I just really think they put out a solid head with this new T3.

Just my 2 cents on it all.

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

Great review KILLSHOT. I bought 4 packs of these heads for this up coming season and can't wait to try them out on a elk. I as well will post my findings and thoughts after I run one through some vital organs. But I'm with you, they fly exactly like my field tips.

}}-SLIVER-->

Ya they are great. I think why some guys are having problems with them is because it is really easy to put the two prongs that go under each blade on the spider clip behind the blades instead of under the blades. Thus making the spider clip not a tention clip but more of a retainer clip to prevent the blade from sliding open on impact.

Glad to hear you are liking it Killshot. The spider clips were under, and I only shot one broadhead with the realblades and the other 2 broadheads I shot were with the practice blades. Shot several times and just wasn't the broadhead for me.

Shooting the NAP bloodrunners now. So far (only shot a few) I have been happy with their performance.

I am with killshot. I think the t3 is a great head and so far have had 100 percent confidence with all my testing. The real tests will begin Aug 21st for me. I am excited to see the devastation that this head causes.

Exactly, I was playing around with these heads and the problem I had is that I was putting them together wrong. Once I figured out my problem they have been awesome.

bckcntrybuck is right on. You have to put a washer on between the ferrule and spider clip, and then a washer between the spider clip and arrow insert. g5 needs a better set of instructions for these heads with pictures. I'm excited to try these out this year and I hope for the opportunity next week!

You put a washer between the ferrule and spider clip and between the insert and the spider clip? The instructions say to only put a washer between the spider clip and the insert, which is how they come assembled.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-10 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]NAP bloodrunners shoot the same as a fixed blade broadhead for me and similiar to the T3. Some groupings ok and other times really sporadic. Went back to the steelhead by trophy ridge and grouping like my field points. I guess I'm just not meant to shoot this fancy new broadheads. Good luck to all and may your hunt be successful.

Their instructions are spot on. You are not supposed to put a washer in between the spider clip and the ferrel. Only put the washer between the spider clip and the insert.

Did you use the practice blades? Mine came with Tekan practice blades. I put them in and they fit very loose. Am I supposed to use the spider clips with the practice blades? I want to shoot them but I would rather not dull my blades if I don't have to.

Yes, you are supposed to use the spider clips with the practice blades. The only thing that you change while practicing is the blades themselves. Nothing else. I would recommend replacing the spider clip with a new one when you go to use them for hunting with the real blades.

I talked to G5 today and they said not to use the spider clips with the practice blades. I shot both the practice blades and the hunting blades yesterday and they both impact the same as my field points. I shot the head with the hunting blades and they opened on impact every time. The penetration into my target was pretty amazing also. Can't wait to try these out on an elk.

Glad to hear they are flying well. Hope to see some pics of the damage they cause. Good luck on the hunt!

6178killshot.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom