Gaiters

300wtby

Any of you have any experience with Gaiters? I'm looking for a pair to supplement my hiking boots for this coming backpack trip. I have read about the OR Gaiters but was wondering if any of you have tried these. I'm concerned that because of their construction they might be noisy to where for hunting. If so can you recommend another pair that might be noise free.

Thanks, in advance for your replies.

300Wtby
Dave

I currently have the OR Crocodile gaiters, and they would likely be noisy as they are made from a cordura like material and fasten soley by velcro. I used to have some from cabelas that worked great and were quieter, but the zipper broke.

WELL I HAVE A PAIR FROM CABELAS AND THEY WORK GREAT BUT, THEY ARE NOISE.I also have a friend that has a pair of wool gaiters from sleeping indian that are super quiet but may be hot if not in snow.

Once you start wearing gaiters it is hard not wear them often out hiking. I have used many different brands of gaiters in brush, dirt, mud, deep snow, ect. and the best all around IMO are the Kenetrek. One tip that has improved performance of gaiters for me is to get some black elterical tape around the top a couple times. This helps keep them from sliding down your leg and secures them well in brush.

I have all the gaiters mentioned but I like the Kenetrek the best. They are quite, not wool quite but they will keep you dry. Like some of the other posters have said once you wear them, you will wear them a lot. In Oregon in the coast range when its not raining we get a lot of dew the gaiters will keep your socks and pants dry other wise its a long morning. I think a lot of boots get blamed for leaking when its the socks that are wicking water and soaking your feet. I also liked the Cabeles Gortex gaiters they are laminated to a quite material they have a zipper up the front and are easy to put on in the dark.

The Oregon gaiters work well too but they are nylon and too loud and noisy for hunting for me.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

The Sitka gaiters look really nice. HoofsUp thanks for the heads up on these I would love to try them out. My only concern about them would be the hieght. 12"?

Sierra Trading Post has the Kenetrek gaitors for $34.00. I just ordered a pair after looking at my old Cabelas and noticed a tear on the side. The Cabelas Ultimate are quiet,waterproof, and real tough. The only problem with them is the stirrup. It needs to be rubber coated. After a few times wearing them the stirrup frays and snow collects under your foot making it difficult to walk without kicking your feet every so often. I wear gaitors pretty much every time I go hunting, unless it is going to be really hot. The Sitka gaitors look nice, but $80, I will stick to the Kenetrek.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-09 AT 11:27PM (MST)[p]Sierra trading post has the Kenetrek now for 29.71. I just ordered a pair myself.

}}-SLIVER-->

I received my new Kenetrek gaiters from Sierra yesterday. I used a discount code they sent me and I got mine for $27 - which also included the shipping.

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, NRA, and TU

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-09 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]I used the Kenetrek gaiters last year on a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska and they worked great.

I own the rivers west gaiters. They are great if you are not in any kind of brushy country. The neoprene tore on mine while deer hunting a few years ago.

JR

I have the Sitka gaiters and I love them! Once you wear them you can't hike without them. I had the kennetreks before but didnt like how much brush would stick to the pair I had.
bowhunter3,
Go big or go home

Maybe I'm late on the Sierra Trading Post for the Kenetrek gaiters as I don't see them on their website. Am I missing something or just perhaps sold out.

It appears that they are now sold out. They had all three versions in stock when I bought mine (I bought the black). I used them on my mule deer hunt in the mtns a week ago and they worked perfectly!!

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, NRA, and TU

+1 on the OR Crocodile gaiters. Mine look terrible after many years of hard use and self-repair but they are still the best on the market for bushwhacking, deep snow and mountaineering. If noise is a big issue for you then I recommend the Kenetreks. The Rivers West are quiet but don't breathe at all.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Try wool gaiters from Johnson Mills in Vermont. Quiet and tough but a bit spendy. They have served me well on Idaho elk hunts.

I like the rivers west gaiters. I haven't had a problem yet but the sitka ones I might give a shot this summer

I was surprised to see that fleece wasn't mentioned. I don't know the brand but I have a pair with a tight knit fleece that I bought in Idaho many years ago. They are quiet and pretty light although they don't breath real well. I also cut a small hole in the top and with a shoe string they can be tied "up" on your belt if they are falling down.

Good thing you can't remember the name of those fleece gaitors because having to tie a string between the tops and your belt to keep them up is not a good advertisment.

The OR Crocs are still the best in my opinion but they are only avaialble to civilians in black. I am trying to get OR to make their military line available to hunters (you would think that they would want to sell more product). The military line uses stealthier colors, mostly coyote brown/tan.

The Rivers West are not going to "breathe" at all so be prepared. They are great for riding or sitting still but not so much for high physical exertion/activity.

The Sitkas would be a fine alternative to the OR Crocs.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Ok hotshot I would bet you that all the gaiters falldown at some point when they get wet. I did the modification to keep them up. I suppose your socks never creep down either?

My Outdoor Research and Sitka gaitors do not slouch, droop, sag or slide down, ever, nor have I ever seen it happen with anyone elses. They get wet on the exterior but they don't hold any water, it just runs off. Give them a try, they work very well.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I went with the Kenetrek and wasn't disapponited. They worked very well over hiking boots in the high country of Wyoming this past September. We had some rain and they prevented the rain from going in the boot, they also provided some extra warmth on some cold mornings. I did get wet feet however in them; I went fishing in the Greys River and tried to use them as hip boots. They worked out pretty well until I got in a little to deep. I also had a chance to use them this winter several times snowshoeing, they worked great in about 30 inches of powder.

You can't go wrong with the Kenetrek's.

Take Care,

300wtby

Dave

So all you Kenetrek gaiter owners... size question for ya.
I have a 12.5 size boot... how fitted are they?
Site says L = 9-12 and XL 13-15
Any recommendations from big foots out there... do they fit really snug?

For me I wear size 12 boot. I choose the XL. They fit perfectly and you can draw them tight with the buckle.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

300wtby

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom