game cart design....

BLooDTRaCKeR

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-15 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]I have received many requests to share my game cart design so instead of sending out a ton of private massages, I thought I would take the time and "pay it forward" to all who want to build one for their hunting needs......
9302img_0265.jpg

This first photo is just an overall pic of the design. Just keep in mind when building one, go off of the average shoulder width of an adult so you can determine how wide you want to make it.
662img_0266.jpg

The axle is 3/4" round stock, 1/4" thick plate steel, attached to 1x1" thin wall square tubing with angle iron at the top. The wheels are utility wheels I purchases from harbor freight years ago (not sure if you can still get them there?)
867img_0263.jpg

The cradle or carriage is made up of 1x1 thin wall square tubing with 3/4X1/8" strap lining the cradle on three sides for support against "frame twist" under load.
4645img_0264.jpg

My favorite part is the mountain bike attachment! I just finished re-making this section, tested it and it works amazingly well! The idea behind this was to give me (the rider) 360 degree pivot or rotation in every direction necessary in order to maintain stability while on uneven surfaces. This contraption gives me side to side pivot by use of the square tube around the seat post, angle pivot or articulation by use of the center pivot bolt and up/down pivot through use of the adjustable pin.

If you look close you can see the side plates overlap the V-bar or gam cart hitch about a half inch on both sides of the pivot bolt. This is to limit the articulation of the came cart on uneven surfaces. without this, you load will eventually tip over the cart and throw you with it.

Towards the back of the pic you can see where the cart connects to the hitch.... all pins and bolts are 3/8" diameter.
9344img_0260.jpg

With the limiter plates on the sides of the pivot bolt, the cart is allowed 6" of articulation from side to side, meaning at the very extreme, the tire will lift off the ground 6". You can however, compensate for this travel just by leaning into the side of the cart that is trying to lift off the ground. Generally, the rule of thumb is to take uneven surfaces SLOWLY and this will not be a problem. (my old hitch did not have articulation and boy did I go on some WILD RIDES!)

Overall, I recommend this design to anyone that needs a cart to haul an animal out of a non-motorized vehicle area. The center of gravity is a bit higher than I would like but It works just fine as long as you understand the carts limitations. I have hauled over 10 elk out of the mountains on this design, last year I had two elk on this cart plus gear (over 500 lbs) and it took the load like a champ! It has been tested, refined and proven to work!

727img_0262.jpg

Oh and one other thing......The handle bars are regular bike grips that I sleeved onto a piece of 3/4" round stock and inserted into the square tubing and pinned it to stay in place. they are removable so you can add other bike attachment when needed. Also I added an adjustable rib up front to allow the weight to be centered over the tires as desired by the operator.

I hope this thread was helpful. I feel like we as a hunting community need to stick together and build each other up. Take the time to support each other whether its through an idea or a compliment. Together, we can build a stronger hunting community and a better hunting future for our kids!

I like this a lot!!
Question- have you weighed this outfit? and can you pedal that bike on a steep uphill section? or do you just push it? and also- almost as important to me- can you stop it with the bike brakes on a steep downhill thrill ride??
would be perfect in areas that have seasonal road closures that a feller could drive a toyota corrola on if the gates were open. i love these areas, as it stops a pile of folks from getting back. but a lot of times it is a long, long way back into where a guy wants to hunt, and makes for a long trek out with a pile of meat on his back.
thank you for sharing this. really fun to see how people adapt ideas to fit their needs.

goldberg, to answer your question, I haven't weighed it but I kept that in mind when building it. that is why I went with the thinnest wall square tubing I could get. My mountain bike is a 24 speed (highly recommend this for lugging up hills under load) I purchased the bike off of ksl for 60 bucks too! There have been times (like last season) where I and my dad pushed this load hooked to the mtn bike up hills because I had two elk on it LOL! My tooth pick legs didn't want anything to do with that load! But one elk is manageable up hills that aren't too steep provided you have the proper gearing on your bike.

I have also learned that the cart stays on the dirt road. I will pack the meat to the cart and then haul it out from there! Where I hunt, I am fortunate to have a "mostly" down hill ride back to the truck. If you plan on pulling a load up hill, I highly recommend you condition yourself prior to the hunt for this activity. You will know what I mean for the next several days after you hauled out your animal! The weight will age you 20 years and almost surely will take away your will to live!

Thanks thought you had forgot about me. LOL.
Great pictures, How long is the cart.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

We built a cart for closed roads a number of years ago. I just put my 4th set if wheels on it(lost bearings and broke wheels)might be a bit to much off road action. We copied the hand cart style. I just put used motorcycle wheels on it. $70 for the set at a salvage yard. I hope it is my last ones, and I think it will do much better off road. We have a tendency to over load and guessed that we came in over a thousand pounds one time, with camp and an elk.

4088cart.jpg

We broke a wheel on this trip. Camp and a bull.
2558cart1.jpg

My 16 year old son bringing his Cow out 3 miles. A push here and there from me and he did the rest.
99cart2.jpg

445cart3.jpg

A cart is a must have in today's world with miles of closed roads. I may have to adapt mine to the bicycle. I did build it for the top to come off so the wheels become a canoe cart.

Nice job on yours BloodTracker.
Excellent post. True that we all need to help each other.

DZ

gator, i built the cart to lay flat in a 6 foot truck bed. When you take the attachments off, it is just under 6 feet long. With handlebars and hitch it is roughly 8 feet long.

Dz, nice cart man! Looks like you've adapted well to the terrain that you hunt? thanks for sharing the pics!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-15 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]In most of the wilderness areas we hunt in Utah don't allow mountain bikes. We have a lot of games trails. So we use a single wheeled game cart . Like this
8891image.jpg
It has a complete spike elk in the cart.
5702image.jpg
Here is a better picture of the cart. You can see the brake handle.

Nice rig bigjohnt! How does that 1 wheeler treat your shoulders? We used grandpas 1 wheeler for years until we decided there had to be an easier way. That's when I built our 2 wheeler. I do see the advantage of a 1 wheeler for single tracks.......

Nice bamacpl!

Looks good! have you hauled any critters out with it? how does your trailer hitch set-up work for you?

Utah wilderness must be special....California Wilderness doesn't allow "anything" with wheels.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom