Game Processing (butcher it yourself vs. paying)?

Buckfever

I've never used a game processor and have always butchered my game since it's free, but a heck of a lot of work. What are the cheapest game processors in Utah but still do a good job? Not having much spare cash after a hunt it's hard to think of forking over a few hundred bones when I can do it myself. It's definitely a shotty job, but it's free. Any tips from those of you that butcher your game yourself or pay a processor would be highly appreiciated. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Sometimes I only cut the steaks and roast myself and then bring the scraps in for sausage, brats or whatever. That saves me a ton of money compared to just bringing the entire animal in. I never do that anymore. Make sure you check with the processor first to see if they'll take loose meat for grinding.

I've started doing it myself, with help cause I'm not that good yet. Before I always took it to chucks meat in arcadia, they do an awesome job and have great prices.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Always butcher it myself. Been doing it since I was a kid. To me it was always a fun part of the hunt. My father, grandfather, uncles, and cousins always got together for butchering. It brings back great memories from my childhood. In addition, I find the buthering process relaxing and enjoyable. Can't imagine turning it over to a processor.

I always do it myself. I am pretty simple when it comes to a deer. I don't try butcher all the different types of cuts. (My hat is off to those who do) I'll turn the front quarters and scrap meat and make that into burger, Backstraps are steaks, hind quarters there are some good steaks (eye of round) and a roast. Anything else gets thrown into the burger pile or stew meat. After grinding the meat there are different breakfast sausage mix's that I mix in with some of the burger. It turns out very good. I don't get too caught up in making perfect cuts of meat and even knowing the name of them but it always seems to come out good. I like knowing that this is my meat and not a mix of other deer with a chance that someone else screwed up the field dressing process. As for it being a chore, I understand that. I have always found that if you put a case of beer in the frige and invite some buddies over it goes pretty quik! Also you might want to check out some you tube videos..?

and a side story about butchers mixing meat up......I had a roomate who worked at a butcher and I heard lots of stories about mixing meat and blah blah blah but needless to say I never had to pay for prime elk, deer, beef,and pork steaks they always just appeared in the fridge. :)

I do my own. I have a good electric grinder I bought from Cabelas and an electric steak cutting saw that I had since I was a kid. If you are a first timer it is real simple you cut into steaks what looks like steaks and everything else is burger. Nothing in between for me. I use the burger for my lunchs everyday, I throw a 1/4 cup of elk and a handful of stir fry vegys and a couple of green beans in it. I make a couple weeks supply at a time. I see the other guys at work spending 8 or 9 bucks a day at burger king it makes hunting real affordable this way

> I see the other
>guys at work spending 8
>or 9 bucks a day
>at burger king it makes
>hunting real affordable this way
>

Dont kid yourself...Thats some high dollar burger :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yes Sir, but I get it every year and the other guys get burger king. The difference is a Maui vacation each year for me. Oh yea thats right.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom