Game Processing in Durango/Ignacio

B

Bart (Guest)

Will be leaving in less than two weeks for a hunt in the Durango/Ignacio area. In the past, I've processed the game when I got home, however, with current rules concerning CWD, it will require that I have the game processed before I cross state lines. Can anyone recommend a good game processor in that area?
Also, as processors get busy this time of year, it may be necessary to have the game shipped home. Does anyone have experience with this? And if so, what is the best (cheapest) way to have meat transported. We generally take two or three 100 qt. coolers with us. Thanks for any information you can pass on.

Bart,there is probably a butcher near Durango, but if not there's one east of durango about 12 miles before Pagosa Spring's, shipping can be expensive , but I've alway's paid a fee to get my game done in 24 hrs, usually $20, they know that nonresidents are pressed for time and are very accomodating, good hunting

Bart, Durango is a bust as far as getting any processing of wild game is concerned, don't let the Budwiser "Welcome Hunters" signs fool you. Just west of Pagosa Springs is a place called "The Buck Stop". They processed two elk for me last year and it was cut, wrapped, froze and ready for the road when I picked it up. I think they charged me around $115.00 per animal, but it was based on weight. The phone number is (970) 731-3535. Hope this helps.

The Buck Stops Here is a definitely good outfit, W/O question, though a little pricey. They've got great Jerky, also. There's another processor that a lot of the locals said they use (vs. the Buck Stops Here) that is on the same main Hwy, within 2 miles of the Buck Stops Here., don't have a clue on the name, sorry. Look it up in the website yellow pages under processors.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom