Game Retrieval Laws In Utah

L

LouiesMusket

Just a question I have been wondering about. If I shoot a deer on public land and it jumps a fence and goes on private land what are my options? What are the rules in Utah? I have heard that if you don't carry your weapon you can go and get the game so you don't waste it. I herd you can call the owner but no matter what he says you can go get your deer. Is this true? Does anybody know where it tells you more about this?

You cannot go on posted property to retrieve game without permission, period.

However, I would hope that most landowners would allow you access to retrieve a wounded/dead animal.

I know some landowners that wouldn't let you retrieve your game. There should be a law against that because it is a waste.So if they say You cant go get your animal do you just walk away?

Contact the land owner first before you go on the land. He may request to see the blood trail from public to private to confirm your story. He does however have the right to not let you on the land to retrieve your game.

I think the problem is that it's the hunter's word. Who's to say they didn't shoot it on the private property? I know this happened someone last year on a late cow hunt. He shot an elk and it jumped a fence and died just inside the private property. The rancher wouldn't let him get it and had already called an officer. The hunter never tresspassed and was attempting to ask the rancher... Turns out the rancher had had a lot of problem with late season hunters trespassing so he was on one about it. Anyway officer arrived and convinced the rancher to let the hunter retrieve the animal.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

Right. Call the game warden, let him be the middle man and get you permission. Don't Trespass.

Grizzly

I checked on this eight or so years back and called the UDWR. They told me to ask permission from the landowner first then if there is a problem to call them and they would have a warden go out and contact the owner and investigate it from there. If the animal was legally shot and traveled onto private property and the owner did not let UDWR recover it for you, the landowner could be issued a wanten waste of wildlife ticket. Keep in mind they also said you need to make sure the game you are hunting and the weapon of choice gives that animal enough space to expire.

+1 gooseman
It how it goes.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Does this mean I won't be able to keep all of the things that have inadvertently come on to my property? I have quite a collection what with all the footballs and baseballs that make it over my fence. I must admit that I now wish I would have stopped and retrieved my hat that blew off while I was riding the 4-wheeler on a legal right of way through private property. I tell you it sure is hard to keep all of this straight even though I hunt with a proclamation in my pocket. The proclamation doesn't make it clear when does the animal become mine? 1. When I draw blood 2. When it is on the ground 3. When it is dead 4. When it is tagged and in my truck. 5. Never if it makes its way to private property.

The animal is yours when you tag it.......if you cross the fence to do so without permission, you took the animal illegally.

When people fight over a downed animal and involve the law, they will always side with the person who got to the animal first and tagged it, it doesn't matter who shot it when or where.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

The Landowner can't be "convicted" with Wanton Waste as he was not the hunter.
Just like you can't be "convicted" with Wanton waste if a road hit Deer lands in your front yard and dies.

The cop can write all the tickets he wants but the Judge will throw it out. Wanton Waste refers specifically to the person(s) responsible for the killing of the animal.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom