Gawd I Hate Arizona

H

HKShooter

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-09 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]I apply in most states for mostly elk. I've been giving AZ my $312 for me and my son accumulating bonus points for many years...I had a brain fart this year and put down a hunt number...Because I incorrectly "applied for a hunt" my entire application was rejected and we didn't even get a Flippn Point! I know it was my mistake, but it seems they could clearly see what I was trying to accomplish and simply fix it rather than being Nazis about it.

How about acting like humans....Arizona.

Gawd I hate Arizona.

HK

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-09 AT 00:03AM (MST)[p]This is the exact reason I make sure I get my application into the G&F prior to the correction period ends, I know they have saved me at least 1 time before. Take advantage of it.. There is no price you can put on it..

John

There is this thing called personal responsibility.

You screwed up, not AZ G&F! Why blame them?

Hey, we've all made mistakes, and some are more costly than others.

While I understand your frustration, this one is on you my friend!

Don Martin

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-09 AT 09:16AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-09 AT 07:32?AM (MST)

+2 on the early application process it saved a friend of mine last year. Sorry about your mistake HK, But I don't think you lose your loyalty point if already earned unless you miss more than 1 draw ( but I could be wrong about that). If you haven't earned it yet I think Creeds correct (must be 5 years in a row) YOU DO LOSE YOUR BONUS POINTS IF YOU GET REJECTED OR FAIL TO APPY> CREED IS CORRECT!

Maybe so Boskee. I'm not 100% positive.

They did take my bro in laws loyalty point away from him when he didn't mark the resident box a couple of years ago. He had applied for 8 years straight. He wasn't happy.

Don,
If you read his post correctly, he did take ownership of the mistake. He WASN'T blaming the AZGFD like you implied. This is what frustrates me about people and their behavior on these sites. He was venting his frustration and asking why they could not use their common sense in fixing the problem. Instead of trying to back the game and fish how bout you give him a reason why they cannot fix those errors which are obvious in nature, especially when so much money is on the line. Again, he is taking ownership of the problem, just wanted to know why they can't fix it. There are a lot of issues with this that are too long to discuss.

I will give an answer for him......they won't fix it cause the AZGFD doesn't care about anyone and their mistakes. They love sticking it to people!

"I know it was my mistake, but it seems they could clearly see what I was trying to accomplish and simply fix it rather than being Nazis about it."

Creed you are corrct you lose them when you fail to put in or are rejected according to the lady I just talked to at G&F. I stand corrected! Thanks.

The AZGF CANNOT go changing peoples applications. How do they know if you are a resident or not? And how do they know what hunt number you wanted to put down? Can you imagine the law suites that would happen if they started doing that? Say you have ten plus points for elk and you put the wrong number down and it is only one number off from some cow hunt. And they figure they are going to help you out and fix your app. Well you must of wanted this cow hunt because there is only one number different. Now you lose all your points and you get to hunt cow elk. This is the exact reason why they offer the grace period so that they can contact us to make the changes. Don is 100% correct with his reply.

If someone puts a wrong hunt number like a cow hunt then he wouldn't have gotten rejected but would have drawn a cow tag. That is an entirely different issue. That issue could be resolved if they instituted a system like Utah where you could turn your tag back in to the game and fish. The drawee doesn't lose their bonus points and an alternate can have the tag. Everyone involved wins. Why doesn't AZ institute this.......too much common sense and man power needed is the answer.

In this case, it sounds like he wrot in the unit number and not a hunt number. To correct that problem would require a phone call. Yes, they do have the grace period but some people like to see what the moisture is like in various parts of the state before putting in, especially since the draw is so early now. You could argue that is the risk they take and it is with the way the system is set up but I feel the system could be improved. Why not do away with the grace period and just call people to correct the problems after the draw is over. I mean they take 2 months to complete the process anyways. Do we really think they are being totally efficient as it is and that by correcting the mistakes would take that much longer for the draw process to be complete? It shouldn't. Re-instituting the online process would fix all these problems. When there is so much money and time invested by individuals to play the hunting game that the departments have created they owe it to the people to make it as fair as possible....and not just fair but humane and graceful also. That's how I feel. They can do much to improve this. And just so you know I have no personal reason to have these feelings. I have never been rejected on an application. Just calling it as I see it.

You want them to go thru 130,000 apps one at a time and correct mistakes. We would never get the results.

they go through them one at a time anyways....how else do they get the info entered? Plus, they call anyways during the GRACE period. Why not stream line the whole draw process and call at the end. I do recognize this COULD delay results but I honestly feel that if done more efficiently the results shouldn't take as long as they do now to get done, even if they allowed for corrections at the end. Even so, having the process online would eliminate all these problems. Hopefully they will do this soon. I cannot think of a reason not to have the process online......other than it being more difficult for the department to get away with dishonest draw practices!

>You want them to go thru
>130,000 apps one at a
>time and correct mistakes. We
>would never get the results.
>

as i recall there were not 130,000 apps messed up. if i remember from a previous post regarding this this yrs. draw there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,000 or so messed up apps. a big difference in work load.

i think the point bubbas is articulating goes beyond this particular issue and goes into why people jump to back the azgfd instead of using constructive critisim to improve on their flawed system. does it have some pro's? yes, however, there are cons as well that should always warrant some refining to make their system and or the department better. the azgfd should not be the "end all, say all" they think they are. the public has experienced an decline in "say" as to what goes on in their department over the past few yrs. just look at the issue with changing the entire archery elk hunt structures last yr. the public showed overwhelming evidence not supporting the november archery elk hunts and did they consider the public input? NO!!!!! They do this all the time. Case in point, the azgfd and several of you mm.muleyites should be more prone to change when public outcry surpases departmental greed.

Once only I made one mistake on an AZ application and a lady called me and said that I had forgot to sign it, then she asked me if I would let her sign it for me. WOW !!! of course I said yes.

Same thing happened to me this year. My huntin' bud did not sign the elk app which was actually my mistake because I was in-charge of the apps this year. Anyway, I got the call from GF and she asked if she could sign for him. I said OK,please do, no brainer. Because we applied early during the correction period we got drawn for a good bull tag, did not lose our loyalty point and get to go huntin'. had we applied later with the same error, ..... oh the horror.

The best solution would be for AZ to just get out of the 1960's with their paper app fettish and get the internet app's back. Its not hard, ya just have to hire the right people. The application'ee could correct the problems like checking residency boxes, entering date of birth and entering hunting license numbers before the app was turned over to the AZGFD. Wrong hunt numbers (outside of invalid numbers) would leave no one to blame but yourself. ie cow vs bull.

So do they still cash your checks and make interest off you if you make a mistake? I dont see why you would hate az when they do give a correction period to turn your apps in.I think thats a good thing that they do... I dont rememeber them doin that ten years ago...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-09 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]+1 for Don's comment...it is very simple...if there was no mistake, there would be no issue...check, recheck, check again and make sure hunting apps are perfect...it's ok to make a mistake with the IRS, just not a hunting application!

One year I put down the bonus point number for the last choice thinking that if I didnt draw the first three choices they would just give me a bonus point.....WRONG. They rejected my app and told me that I should have just left that space blank. I called them up and asked how they could interpret that any other way than if i dont draw my first three, I want a bonus point. I feel your frustration, but that year everyone else had a better chance of drawing because of my mistake. This year we had a better chance of drawing because of your mistake.

I hope they never go back to online apps. Makes it way to easy for people who dont take hunting seriously to apply, then draw odds go way down.

Stay home. Why should they make exceptions for you and not others? If you mess up you mess up, deal with it.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

I pulled a bone head back in the 90's when I was first starting to apply in Utah. Of course, I didn't read the instructions, so I put in for all big game species instead of only one choice, so!!! The bad thing was when I got the reject letter I thru it away without reading it and applied the following year the same way. You know the results. Boy, it took two years to get my head out of my ***. Never has anything like that happened again. Sorry about the bad luck. I would of had 12 BP's for elk by now.

I know his frustration.A few years back I had 7 bonus points for elk.I made a "mistake" and accidently put in for unit 27 cow tag.I could of died whens I got that tag.I seriously thought I put in for a bull tag for a completly different area.I even called AGFD and they said they could not do anything about it.That was the first "mistake" I ever made on an app,to this date I don't think I made a mistake on the app.

I know his frustration.A few years back I had 7 bonus points for elk.I made a "mistake" and accidently put in for unit 27 cow tag.I could of died whens I got that tag.I seriously thought I put in for a bull tag for a completly different area.I even called AGFD and they said they could not do anything about it.That was the first "mistake" I ever made on an app,to this date I don't think I made a mistake on the app.

Arizona is run by a bunch of anti non-resi good old boys. They cant even get on line systems up and running!I hate Arizona too! but I love their big game! I think they are still a little butt hurt about the lawsuit? Oh well, Im due to draw a deer tag this year then they can kiss my butt goodbye! BH1

Buckhunter1,

You are WRONG......they are anti-RESIDENT to! They are a bunch of good ol' boys though. This game and fish department is the worst example of government gone wrong! Problem is at least the large structure of government is being exposed to the point right now that the general public is finally having an outcry. We as sportsmen are too stupid, divided, and selfish to worry about trying to change the AZGFD structure.

You are right bubbas, I was just looking at it from my non-resi view. You make a good point about the on line app process. Maybe they are afraid of something? BH1

I'm not saying yay or nay on AZ being anti this or that. I do agree that they do not have their act together.

How many thousand dollars do you think they wasted on sending out duplicate general hunting licenses this year for the spring and elk/lope draw? In addition, they had to send out a post card (costing even more money) to explain their mistake. They can't blame some out of state website/draw contractor for this mistake.

wow!! ignorance is getting worse by the year..lol
how can you blame a system that has a corection time line??
i think this is how it reads:
if a paper hunt permit-tag application that is submitted contains an error and is received by jan 22nd,2009 the department will make THREE attempts within a 24hr period to notify the applicant by telephone (if a phone # is provided)

yea that souds like a raw deal to me...

check,check,check,recheck,check again have someone else check then recheck..kind of how its goes at my house

my hat is off to AZ game and fish for the great job they do when they do a papper app draw!!and the online draw for that matter. think of the legistics.and someone thinks "maybel" is going to fix the wrongly fiiled out apps?
ba ha ha ha ha ha
my 2 cents

I apply in several states & would like to see all mail in applications & money up front!Apply early & double check everything!
David

I always laugh at people who insist on blaming others for their own mistakes. Always someone elses fault for rough spots in their life. Everyone makes mistakes. Grow up and get over it!

funny, I always laugh at people who insist on not reading a post in true context and interpret and comment on the post however they wish!

The original post clearly states that he made the mistake and was asking for some leniency from the department when it could be afforded. I have no problems with someone responding by saying it is logistically impossible for the department to afford leniency and correct mistakes. That would be a thought out and justified opinion. But to respond in a way that shows your biased, ignorance deserves the same rough rebuttal that you provided, Foxcaller.......Grow up (I will ad show some insightfulness) and get over it!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]Bubbas:

Two things..Once I applied with two other guys who had max bonus for elk and I did not. They waited until the very last day, last hour to give me their application and I rushed out to G&F to get it in on time. Long story short, I forgot to check the resident box as applicant # 3 even though I had put down a resident hunting license number, had a resident address, etc.

When results came out we of course got rejected, and I requested to see a copy of the application. When I got it, sure enough, I had not checked the resident box and was therefore rightfully rejected.

Now I make a copy of ALL my paper applications.

Anyway, I was pi$$ed like everyone always is, but soon realized it was MY mistake and NOT the Department's! Yep, it was all about personal responsibility and I had to bee accountable for my actions, and in the end, was. Unfortunately, I took down two friends with me. (One did draw three years later, the other passed away).

I didn't tel people that the G&F acted like "Nazis" as the original poster did. That's just wrong!

So been there, done that!

My second point is what many of the others have said here. Hey, there is a time period, "grace period" if you will, but a lot of folks want to wait until the last day, last minute to apply and each year about 3-4,000 get rejected.

I say "too bad, so sad" to all those folks.

The rules of the "game" are abundantly clear! They, by the way, are written to a 6th grade level, so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure them out.

If you apply during the grace period and make a mistake, G&F will help you.

After that folks, you're on your own..

Don Martin

Don,
I understand your two points and respect them. I agree ultimately, the responsibility falls on the applicant and honestly I don't think that the original poster denied responsibility. He did use the Nazi term but I think he did that metaphorically to illustrate his feeling that such a hard line need not be taken by the department. I must say I have no idea who the poster is and I myself have never been rejected, unlike yourself, so i have no axe to grind. However, I do like to call a spade a spade. I have no reason or motivation to protect the reputation of the Department. If there are things I feel can be improved then I will state them. I would like to bring up some points for discussion and would welcome any replies (preferably constructive ones...but hey it's the internet so i won't have high expectations).

1. ONLINE DRAW PROCESS-On the surface, I see no reason why the draw should not be online. There would not need to be a correction period because errors would be caught before being processed, aside from entering in an unintentional hunt number. There is no way to prevent this. The only arguments I have heard against the online process are selfish ones....people feel they will have better draw odds with paper apps. Again, I feel this is selfish but hey it's a selfish world. I would say you could still charge fees up front with a credit card online, like Colorado and now New Mexico. However from the game and Fish perspective, remember they want to make as much money as possible on the draw and the online process allows for this.

2. TURNING TAG BACK IN-When someone draws a tag there are many times when the drawee does not want the tag or simply can't use the tag. How many times have you heard the stories..."oh, I put my son in and he drew that early elk tag but he is in his final semester of school and can't go", or" My wife drew that 13B mulie tag but she is 8 months pregnant and WON'T go", or gets an injury, life changing illness, etc, etc. The list goes on. And heaven for bid, if someone put a cow hunt number down instead of the bull hunt number they could even turn the tag back in to someone who will actually appreciate and enjoy it (personally, I think they should all burn at the stake for making a mistake LOL). I see no negative to this practice. How bout everyone else?

3. INCREASE HOLD OVER PERCENTAGE- Increase the "hold over" tag percentage to 50% for those with max bonus points. Seriously, in a hunt with 150 tags such as many archery bull hunts, that would STILL leave 75 tags for the random lucky SOB to draw with less than max points. The incentive to put in with less than max points is still there so the Department won't have to worry about scaring away new applicants and decreasing application revenue. Actually, I would argue that there would be MORE incentive for new applicants because they would have more faith that in a more fair process they will be rewarded for their draw loyalty. The only people I personally have heard argue against this change are the guys that draw multiple tags year after year. Well, good on you but again I say that is selfish and really if you want to draw those cow tags every year, odds are you still will with an increase in hold over. It only makes it more fair for everyone putting in for the hard to draw tags. Isn't that what America is supposed to be about.....put your hard work in, sacrifice, follow the rules and you won't be screwed. That isn't reality but isn't that what we strive for, especially as a governmental agency (again, maybe i am an elitist.....asking too much for a fair system).

4. 3 YEAR WAIT PERIOD ON PREMIUM ESTABLISHED HUNTS- after drawing a premium hunt a 3 year wait period is followed. Bonus points CAN STILL be accrued during this time. I have heard the Department argue that statistics show an almost negligible effect on draw odds by doing this. They must think we are all idiots (which they do count on by the way and we usually comply). This is simply an exploitation of statistics. When you look at the number of people drawing a tag in a premium unit multiple times within a 3 year period and then compare that event to the OVERALL draw applicants, of course it will be small to negligible. But not when you look at it as individual hunt numbers. In a hunt with 150 tags, even if individuals, who drew multiple times within 3 years, received ONLY 5% of the tags for that draw.......that is 7-8 people. That is 7-8 people who have donated a lot of money, who are getting older by the year, and may not draw for another 5-6 years because they will screwed again the next year by lucky joe bow. It matters to those 7-8 people. Spread the wealth!

5. INSTITUTE PREMIUM DRAW HUNTS- This was brought to the public a few years ago and honestly who knows what the results were from the public surveys. Everyone I know who has sent those surveys in, the Department has done otherwise. That is anecdotal though. Although, anyone who thinks the Department does what the majority of public wants....I got a bridge to sell you. they only provide those surveys and the meetings as political compliance. But they are not complied to listen.
Premium hunt units would cause people to fully commit to their hunt interest level and philosophies. Additionally, the units could be managed in a way to reflect the management goals depending on it being an area of quality or opportunity. They could charge more for the premium hunts to compensate for the lower tag revenue.. But really those who value those hunts will have no problems paying higher fees if the experience is quality and the alternative is a decreased hunting experience. if they don't want to pay those fees they will still have other units to apply for.

These were just some points with regard to the draw. Discussing the ineptitude of how the Arizona Game and Fish Department runs their affairs in other areas of wildlife management is a whole different discussion...and there is much to discuss!

I guess I stirred up a Hornets' nest. Just to put a couple things in perspective.

#1 All you AZ boys who say to stay home/go home/don't apply are about as smart as the Ass grazing in my pasture. If it wasn't for us non-res guys paying these fees and supporting elk/mule deer and other organizations, you res guys wouldn't have elk or deer to hunt. Pretty short-sided thought on your behalf. Grow up! You sound like Californias in the 80's.

#2 I work in a regulation driven industry, so I understand rules, guidelines and laws pretty well. All I was asking for was for them to match the fee paid to the option avialable. Intent plays a role in most jurisdictions, as well as my application history.

#3 An online service would have solved any problems. Hopefully in the next few years Az will join the rest of the country.

#4 I got time to kill an elk in AZ so I'm not too worried about losing my point, but it did wake me up..just venting really and sorry about the Nazi crack, it wasn't necessary even though is was metaphorical...

Thanks for some of the insightful input. See you in AZ in few (more) years.

HK

HK,
You did stir a hornet's nest but in my opinion it needed to be stirred! Apathy towards the system is the worst thing possible. Where there is no change in the system, and more importantly well thought out and good intended change, in an ever changing society the system will fail the people. I believe we are at that point in the Game and Fish department as with most branches of the government. It just so happens I have more passion for hunting, wildlife, and environment than other branches of government. So good on you for sharing your thoughts. No harm in that. Let's make change. Not an Obama reference. LOL

Agreed to the change and it not being a Obama reference. I too am very passionate about hunting, and I'm sick of bureaucracies with no brains. It is guys like you who will help make our childrens' hunting experiences better, not worse.

On that note, I'm going bear hunting with my son for a few days...and that is what it is all about for me.

Happy trails:)

HK

HK:

Appreciate you explanation of your thoughts.

That being said however, I got to dispute one of your points.

That is of NR's "paying the freight" for wildlife management here in Arizona.

That's not true!

Arizona residents pay for the vast majority of management for the state's wildlife. NR's do contribute, but not the degree you think.

Not to start a pi$$ing match here, but that is the facts.

Check with your own state's G&F department and ask them if you as resident or me as a NR (I only apply in Nevada though)pay the majority of the costs for wildlife management in your home state!

I don't downplay the part that NR's play in wildlife management, but facts are facts and we need to be accurate in our statements.

Do I believe that there might be a better "mouse trap" out there in regards to dealing with applications? Maybe.. But I got to believe that our G&F Dept. (who I don't always agree with) looks at what happens in other states and does talk to the various DNR's to see how their systems work.

Kind of like the landowner tag issue. I know for a fact that our G&F Dept. has spoken to other states who deal with landowner tags and that is one reason why I don't think we'll ever go there (yeah, I'm happy about that!)

Anyway, sorry if my personal remarks were a tad cryptic, I was having a bad hair day when I initially read your post.

Anytime we can have a healthy discussion about issues, and come up with new ideas, I think that is great.

It's when we get personal that the issues don't seem to be the focus- only the personal attacks.

Anyway, we'll all never agree on everything when it comes to wildlife issues, but the good news is just like ice cream, there are flavors out there for all of us.

Don Martin

Don,
I too appreciate how you non personally discuss your opinions. I may not agree with them always as you refer but I agree with the way you express them.
You said,
"Do I believe that there might be a better "mouse trap" out there in regards to dealing with applications? Maybe.. But I got to believe that our G&F Dept. (who I don't always agree with) looks at what happens in other states and does talk to the various DNR's to see how their systems work."

It is not too difficult to assess whether the "Greater Good" would be better appeased by an online application process. I personally have never seen many pros for a paper draw but I have seen and know of many cons. Compare these to the pros and cons of an online draw. For the "Greater Good", throw out the pros and cons that are motivated from an individual, selfish perspective and you will relatively easily come to a conclusion on which process should be followed. It should not be a "maybe" answer.

Of course the AZGFD looks at and speaks with other state agencies. I would hope they would at least not live in a box. Just that simple process is of no value to us as the people. What is of value is how they use that research and knowledge. In other words, learning from other people's mistakes is of no value unless the knowledge is not only applied but applied for the "Greater Good".

You also said,
"Kind of like the landowner tag issue. I know for a fact that our G&F Dept. has spoken to other states who deal with landowner tags and that is one reason why I don't think we'll ever go there (yeah, I'm happy about that!)".

You made a statement that they spoke with other states about landowner tags, but you did not state the actual "reason" why Az has not instituted landowner tags. Other states that have landowner tags have a large amount of the state comprised of private land. Arizona does NOT. I believe there is only about 17% private land, much lower than other states. And a large portion of that 17% is not considered habitat with high hunting value because of lower huntable animal populations. Therefore, there is not a large enough demand and/or value for the AZ Game and Fish to institute landowner tags. Let me assure you the Commission will do whatever they can do to increase revenue for the Department as has been stated before. However, if they ruffle too many feathers of the "majority opinion" and it is a topic they feel will cause too much outcry from the public and possibly lead to the majority opinion turning on them, The Commission, will follow the majority opinion. It is not a matter of serving the best interests of the "Greater Good" but rather a matter of self - preservation (The Commission).

While diversity of opinion (different flavors of ice cream) is beneficial. It is beneficial, in this case, only when it is put to use in serving the "Greater Good". We have different flavors of criminals in prison too....doesn't make prison a good place to be!

bubbas,
Will we see you at the AZG&FD commission meeting this Saturday?
I will be there, voicing my opinion. I have be doing so for about 12 years now. The way you speak, I'm sure you won't miss a chance to voice your opinion, for the common good.
Hope to see you there.
Steve Cheuvront

p.s. Don Martin and I sign our names to what we write and say,
who are you?

Steve,
Thank you for voicing your opinion at the meetings. You ask if I will be there at the meeting on Saturday. First off, there is nothing more I would rather do than to be at the meeting, as I have been in years past. However, not as an excuse but reason, I will not be attending due to commitments and schedule conflicts with The American Cancer Society's annual fundraiser, The Jewell Ball. Others, feel free to attack this reason but I do not need to justify that one.

However, I must say that I am obviously pessimistic about the affect that attending those meetings has on the Commission. Believe me when I say they have already determined their course of action prior to the meeting. You can choose to share that sentiment or not but I have first hand knowledge coming to that conclusion. That does not mean that I encourage people not to go as not going not only fuels indifference but only strengthens the Commission's resolve to do as they please. Just stating my opinion on reality regarding the meetings. If there was enough evidence suggesting otherwise I would change my view.

As to why I do not share my name, I hope you will understand why that is the case but realize many will not and initially look at it as cowardly. There is no benefit to share my name. As long as I am not hiding behind the computer while personally attacking others then again what is the benefit sharing a name? However, I am not saying that you should not share your nam as you choose to do so. I try to keep the discussions focused on the topics rather than personally attack, like Don mentioned. I do realize that the way I write and the bluntness of my opinions may be interpreted as personal attacks but I hope they are not interpreted that way. For those who I interact personally with know that I do not withhold my thoughts simply because I am not on a computer. There are legit reasons as to why it is not beneficial to leave a name on a public forum under which you have no knowledge or control as to who comprises it.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom