Gear List

vthokee

For those of you who backpack in for your hunt what does your gear normally consist of? How many changes of clothes? Food load, etc.

Don't know how far away from your truck you plan on being but if take a couple changes of clothes, most importantly SOCKS!! While you change into a new set hang the used one to dry\air out in a dry place.

Socks are the only change I take in my pack outside of needed layers. Rain gear,mid/warmth layer,poncho,sometimes a coat.
I do have a change & most any gear I THINK I might need(alot)in my truck or in base camp.
I do usually hunt within an hour or two from home and hunts here are usually only 5 days.

Zingers on the food list, oh and chocolate covered coffee beans if you are used to having coffee in the morning.

One thing I would add is Sitka Primaloft jacket. Order it at least one size larger than normal to go over your other clothes.
Extremely light. I carried it in my pack through all my winter hunts. I have never been that warm on these hunts. I got it on camofire.com at a good discount. Silk long johns really can make a difference if you are hiking a lot. You can take a medium weight pant and turn it into a cold weather pant. Very light, and take up no space, and you feel sexy when you wear them.

...don't know why that last sentence made LOL, but it did...

I didn't know such things existed. Do they actually keep you warmer?

Advil, some more Advil, and maybe a few more Advil. Past that I love my First Lite clothing. Really any brand of premium clothing will work. The particular brand is more of a personal preference, but do yourself a favor and get some.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-16 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]ditto the pain pills ....and anything coffee .....lol
Gotta have my Joe.
I don't know about the zingers Paul,I guess they don't last long enough to get squished ...do maple bars count?
I always have Cliff Bars & jerky.
I found a simple brown down sweater that works great as warmth layer much like the Sitka.Fits under rain gear or my Kings Mtn Parka. Weighs nothing.
I wear a Berber fleece vest from Oct on most days,the whole jacket/pants set with windsheer is a lifesaver at times here in NM. Bargain barn.....
My base core is usually Merino wool, or a early season superlight/silk like set that tends to cool me if it's warm out during the day.
I don't hunt in Sept,but do scout some.

>...don't know why that last sentence
>made LOL, but it did...
>
>
>I didn't know such things existed.
> Do they actually keep
>you warmer?

Yep, I dont like heavy long underwear, and I think silk is still better than the new synthetics. Cabelas, sportsmans guide normally carry them

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-16 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]Just bought a nice core4elemnt primaloft jacket from camofire tonight. I already have a small backpack stove/pot kit, I have a snugpak sleeping bag that was issued to me only weighs 96oz. I need to buy a tent and backpack for hiking in.I have my eye on a few that I want to try out but kinda waiting on payday and sales. I have also been watching a lot of Aron Snyder's podcast on youtube. They are very informative.

96 ounces for a sleeping bag? that's 6 pounds. Typo?

My bivy sleeping bags weigh 1.5 and 2.2 pounds, depending on whether I'm camping early season or winter.

The total weight of my bag, tent and pad is less than 5 pounds...

Carl

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom