gearing up for javelina

two7D

Any body been seeing any stink pigs? Any suggestions on where to start looking, numbers? I have a tag for the longer, any legal weapon hunt (starting Jan 16) and was planning on hunting in and around the Gila. I was thinking either unit 21 or 22. Thanks in advance.

I will be bowhunting the 23-28 tag for the first time never have hunted these little critters before! so I guess it will be a learning experience, is there any tips you could give a rookie?

They are blind as a bat. As long as you have the wind in your favor, you can probably walk up and kick one. When taking a shot, remember that they poof themselves up, a lot of guys shoot right through the hair. The best rule of thumb that i've heard is to draw an imaginary line straight back from their eyes to the body and shoot there.

I've shot a couple and have been on several hunts with buddies. These guys are a friggin blast to hunt...although they can be tough to find. Key in on drainages with prickly pear and water near by. Once you've found them, circle until you get your wind right and sneak right in on them. The last two I've shot and 3 others I "guided" three guys too were all shot under 30 yds. Also, keep an eye out for fresh uproots. If you see them, glass glass glass...they will be somewhere close.

A word of caution though...

Last yr I snuck into a group of 10 and shot a boar at 15 yds. The other three boars with him were quite startled and upset and bluff charged me for 2-3 minutes after my pig was down. They were quite convincing...and I was curious for a minute who was hunting who!! They'll puff up..and bark/grunt and you while clacking their jaws together...it's a little intimidating when you have nothing but an arrow in your hand.

Anyhow, Personally I think they're highly underrated. They are a blast to hunt and make cool mounts.

There are pigs in 21...but few and far between. I've seen some by the Ribletto's near Radium Springs. Good luck!

Ah yes, the ole' "startle a pig and get the ##### scared out of you" routine. Sportsman01 knows this story...was out deer scouting, decided to get out of the truck to go glass over a ridge. Wasnt very far to the ridge so I leave pistol in truck. One thing leads to another and I'm ~2 miles from the truck on top of a big mesa and all of a sudden 5-6 pigs jump out from underneath a juniper and they were PISSED. Jaws smackin, runnin at me then stoppin, all the while no more than 10 yards from me. One full minute passes with this stuff goin on, and most of the pigs lost interest and peeled off the edge of the mesa. One of them still had my number. He kept gettin closer and closer with some passes nearing 2-3 feet. I kept backing up (thinking what an idiot I was for not having my sidearm) and I started to get tired of the dance so I pick up a 2 lb rock. The next charge he makes i unload on him and hit him right behind the skull on top of the neck. With that, he was gone. Funny thinkin back on it, but I was rattled for damn sure haha. can't wait to go hunt them this year!

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom