Gen. Elk Outfitter in 67 or other

TTIKA

Hello all...brand spankin new here. Love outdoors, hunting, fishing and living life to ones paramount capability.
I am late to the points party at the ripe old age of 42, so you are all far better off than I in that regard. That being the case, i wonder if anyone has a solid outfitter recommendation in a general tag area that will not break the bank (3k or so )and will give me a good opportunity at a good 280 and up bull.

Anyone know about Absaroka ranch in 67?

Gines is out of my zip-code on price in 60..any other solids here?

Appreciate the insight and hope to be able to contribute and help others in time.

$3,000 is below what you would normally pay for a good elk hunt in Wyoming. It would usually be $5,000 and up. If you don't have any preference points you can draw the special general elk tag for $1,057. If you have two PP you could draw the regular tag for $577.

One outfitter you may want to consider is Greys River Trophies that advertises on this site. A two on one elk hunt with them is $3,750. The Greys River isn't considered one of the best general elk areas in Wyoming but there are some elk there.

I hunted with them a few years ago for mule deer and did see some elk. One of the locals camped near us killed a 330 with his bow. One archery hunter with us saw elk but never got any shots. Archery elk and mule deer rifle were going on at the same time(September). Rifle elk is October.

You can drive to camp but it is a horseback hunt. They trailer horses to where they want to hunt each day. There may be a lot of resident hunters but it is also a big area.

The ownership has changed since I was there. I did ask the outfitter at the time how they did on elk. He gave me what I thought was an honest answer. He said if it was warm and dry they didn't too good but if it was cold with snow the elk would be moving and they did pretty good. So I think there success may have varied from a low of 20% to a high of 80%.

Although this isn't the best hunt in Wyoming and you will need a little luck I would choose it over any $3,750 public land over the counter hunt in Colorado.

Since about any general hunt area can produce a 280+ bull if it were me I'd go DIY rather than spend the money on a cheap hunt. elk hunting in WY isn't that tough .

As WV says good hunts start at about 5K and go up, and most of the time you get what you pay for. I'd check out cheaper hunts very close . everytime I though I found a great deal I found I paid too much in the end.

Stay thirsty my friends

I agree With what was stated above. Finding a hunt for 3K Could be tough to find. As stated before hunting DIY might be Something to Consider Out of a Wilderness area.

Appreciate the info. all...Looks like i would likely need 1 PP for special. If successful, that would put me in the 4-5k if i went guided. not knowing any of the general areas and no time to scout I may be spinning my wheels DIY.
I have a LO cow tag for NM, so will likely buy a point and do some more research for a future year.

That was true until now, the huntin'fool says no NR drew a general tag as second choice last year.

Probably because they bragged up the general tag so much. I guess the good side is now if you want a general tag you have to make it your first choice which will help the draw odds on the limited tags.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-15 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]

When you pay $100 to people that don't know how the NR draw works you get bad information. To be fair, neither Eastmans nor Hunter Trailhead know any better either.

One more time:
The draw reports posted by the Dept only show results thru the allocation of Commission approved tag quotas. Non Residents are allocated a set number of full price Elk tags (7,250). After the Special and Regular draws are conducted the dept converts unused full price tags to GEN tags and goes back thru the Special draw pool, thru 3rd choice apps, till they're all filled or they hit the 7,250. If tags are left, they go to the Regular side and continue.

In the 2014 draw they had 174 tags go to the Regular side after they filled Special GEN.

>
>
>That was true until now, the
>huntin'fool says no NR drew
>a general tag as second
>choice last year.
>

That's hilarious coming from a publication that is supposed to be next level "in the know" and expert hunt consultation.

I am familiar with the Absaroka Ranch. Budd has all hunts booked up already. He has almost all repeat customers. His price is around $4500 and that's the going rate in area 67. Just remember you get what you pay for!!

deadeye?I spoke with Bob last week and he still had openings. Must have booked since...

Consistent repeat customers makes me think he must be doing something right? ?and have some descent animals for opportunity?

...and $4500 isn't chicken feed?at least for me.

What would $4500 get me in 67 with Absaroka? or any of the general areas with a guide? Keeping in mind the only way I draw is through the special side which adds another grand or so.

PM me if you like?appreciated!

Ttika, yes Budd does get a lot of repeat customers because he does things right. I will admit he doesn't kill a lot of really big bulls, but everyone gets a chance at an elk. This past year was really tough hunting because October was warm and dry. He still had his 15 rifle hunters tag 12 elk. Usually it is 100%.

What you get with Absaroka Ranch or any of the other outfitters in area 67 is a hunt of a lifetime. Beautiful country, great food, great camaraderie and a chance at a bull.

I think most of Budd's repeat clients come back year after year because of the above reasons. They don't put as much emphasis on the kill as the experience.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom